RPF ON DISCORD

nathanalaneller

I know nothing about discord & wondered if anyone can make a Discord server for prop makers sharing info on making props. If you know how to run a "Discord Server", please lend a hand. Using Discord will help pool information on prop making & the RPF site will hold it. Please leave a Discord Link HERE.
Or give an opinion why not there should not be a Discord Server.

Upvote 0
Isn’t that what TheRPF already does.
Well, you get more immediate responses on discord, talking face to face on a video chat, showing thoughts & ideas as they come to you at that moment. Leaving space on the site for more physical prop information & less trivia. You get to know the prop builders more on discord.

Never heard of discord so I googled it and it sounds like a snapchat/Tiktok kind of app which, personally, I wouldn’t use in a million years. The main attraction in the RPF for me is it’s formality. I can carefully craft my submissions or responses. Everything is written down and saved for posterity. It’s categorised, organised and I don’t have to share my contacts list to join in.
And talking face to face on video chat… no thanks.

Sure, chat rooms could be a complement to a forum. It is a different medium. Not for everyone.
I think is important to keep it as a complement: and that would require designing the "rooms"/"channels" and the rules so that posting on chat doesn't ever become a substitute for posting on the forum.

But in my opinion, Discord is chore to use. I used to be more active on it, but the interface just takes too much of my time for itself, stealing it from actually chatting and getting information.
Is there no viable alternative that is more user friendly?

Well, you get more immediate responses on discord, talking face to face on a video chat, showing thoughts & ideas as they come to you at that moment. Leaving space on the site for more physical prop information & less trivia. You get to know the prop builders more on discord.
To play your devils advocate, it could be used in a way to foster different types of community involvement and participation. I don’t think it should foster build logs and such as those belong here, but it could be used to organize interactions like local meetups and build streams. Things that feed off of “face to face” if even virtual interactions. Those do require a lot of open conversations that don’t add much value to therpf as an archive of those chats.

I would rather see a chat room feature added to the RPF. I am on Discord because I have to in order to talk to Silo and Severance folks. I think "quick answers" turns into long, detailed conversations where that info is shared, then lost in a sea of dialogue. The same reason I understood FB having a page, but despised what it turned into and took away from the board here. Things get lost like on Reddit and then it turns into an everyday rotation of the same 20 questions because it's a pain in the ass to try and search for something before asking.....again.

Just one person’s opinion, but I think there’s too much overlap between the capabilities of forums and what Discord has to offer, and it would inevitably kill one or both of them… if we’re talking about completing porting TheRPF over to Discord, I can see the advantages of that, but I think adding Discord on top of the forums would just be confusing.

I agree that adding a chat feature to the forums would be great though!

Don’t know about you all, but I already have too many online services to check…

Sean

Just one person’s opinion, but I think there’s too much overlap between the capabilities of forums and what Discord has to offer, and it would inevitably kill one or both of them… if we’re talking about completing porting TheRPF over to Discord, I can see the advantages of that, but I think adding Discord on top of the forums would just be confusing.

I agree that adding a chat feature to the forums would be great though!

Don’t know about you all, but I already have too many online services to check…

Sean
I’m still in the boat that TheRPF has the optimal features. How would a chat be better than the DM/PM feature this site currently has. You can already do group chat. I think the only difference in my mind that it’s not an instant chat, meaning you have to refresh. The responses don’t auto populate. If possible I would see benefit in having a phone app that does what Facebook messenger does and is still connected to the site, not a separate entity.

I’m still in the boat that TheRPF has the optimal features. How would a chat be better than the DM/PM feature this site currently has. You can already do group chat. I think the only difference in my mind that it’s not an instant chat, meaning you have to refresh. The responses don’t auto populate. If possible I would see benefit in having a phone app that does what Facebook messenger does and is still connected to the site, not a separate entity.
That's exactly it - I think a real-time chat function would be super-useful, but probably not worth the squeeze of migrating to Discord just for that...

Sean

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back