RPF contest: cash reward!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by hollywoodhardware, Feb 10, 2006.

1. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

Guys,

I've spent numerous hours trying to identify two items on the following mask:

rpfcontest.jpg

So far with no luck...

On the special edition DVD, the guy who made the mask said that they used "two de-humidifiers" and "two lemon juicers". That's all I know.

I looked over dozens of gas masks, but could not identify the correct filters.

The Contest:

The person who first identifies any of the two items marked with an arrow gets $50.00 in their paypal account.

That means if you identify both items, you get $100.00.

If two different members identify the objects, both get $50.00

Originally, I wanted to give away a prop to the winner, but couldn't find the right thing.

I can only go the paypal way with this, please accept that.

Just to clarify, I need a 100% match.

Happy hunting.

Thomas

edit: additional pics below.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

The chrome part resembles one of two kinds of flexible shaft couplings:

Spring type:

[​IMG]

and Bellows type:

[​IMG]

Of course I'd have to see additional angles and have a length and diameter to find the correct one, if it's indeed a coupling.

- Gabe

3. Capt MarVell

Capt MarVell Well-Known Member

I don't think they're filters, they resemble old headset speakers or possibly old microphone elements.

Jim

4. darcjedi

darcjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i could be wrong on this, but i believe the "filters" on the side of the mask are actually made from the juicer and dehumidifier parts combined... i think the inner part is the dehumidifier filter, and the outer "grill" is the juicer part... and the effects shop that built all the kroenen masks is located in spain if i recall, so its possible that those were european only models of those appliances.

-Jeff

5. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

It's not a juicer, but the grill beneath the radial drain cover like stamped part resembles a vintage watering can nozzle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know: there aren't enough holes, but it's just one model. :)

- Gabe

6. hollywoodhardware

Very nice guys, keep'em coming :)

Here are pics from different angles as requested. Had to take pics of the book as my scanner is down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thomas

7. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

Those 'gas mask' parts could be old rotary phone handset mike/speakers. I'll try to lock it down.

8. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

been trying to figure those parts out for myself for over a year, lol

9. Havoc

Havoc Active Member

dehumidifiers are usaully made up of a series of coils (they cool and reheat essentially wringing the moisture out of the air), a compressor and hardly ever have filtration. Not sure if thats where they got those parts from ... the coiling in the front are those wires? They look copperish to me (which could be a dehumidifiers thermocouple)

10. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Guys, what's that from?
    Looks neat but I don't recognize it...

11. darcjedi

i was just watching the section on the dvd about the making of kroenens mask, and it hit me that perhaps we have all been looking at the wrong type of dehumidifier. maybe when they said dehumidifier, they were referring to a dessicant canister/cartridge... something that would hold silica gel or a similar substance. if you look at this page, you'll see what i mean.

now i dont think that is the right cartridge, or they just took the perforated lid and cut it down to fit the juicer parts, as im pretty sure the "filters" arent 4" in diameter.

heres my theory right now... if you look at the pic below, i think that the red tinted areas are the top of the desiccant container, and the blue piece in front of it is part of the juicer mechanism, with the metal wedges that would stick up into the fruit removed.
    [​IMG]
    now maybe the ring around the outside is another part of the juicer... maybe it was custom machined... who knows at this point. i would suggest looking at different desiccant canisters/cartridges from archival or preservation supply stores. sorry i dont have a better match, but its the best match i could find over my lunch hour.

-jeff

12. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

The villain "Kroenen" from Hellboy. He wore 3 types of masks throughout the film:

[​IMG]

- Gabe

13. darcjedi

well, if you want to get technical, he wore 4 masks, but the * and ninja masks are basically the same with some different greeblies and a slightly different paint job

14. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Jeff,

I tend to believe that the perforated disk and radial grill are from the same source, if for no other reason, because they both nest perfectly together as domed stampings:

[​IMG]

That doesn't mean that the perforated disk wasn't reformed to fit the grill, but the concentric cylinders and tight fit lead me to conclude that they are native mating parts.

- Gabe

15. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

I think the blue part is scratchbuild. Look at the cutouts, they are different from eachother, looks handcut to me.

Marc

16. darcjedi

you could be right gabe, and i could be completely off the mark, but in looking at different desiccator housings, there are a lot of them that have that perforated metal part, but none of them have the blue highlighted part (from my image) in front of the perforated part, and that blue part is the only part i can think of that would come from a juicer

17. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Marc - look again at the first unaltered photo - they are clearly dye-stamped, clean-edged, and symmetrical. Darcjedi's hand-drawn highlights are responsible for the "dirty" look of the cutouts.

- Gabe

18. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

ah yes, you're right. i stand corrected :)

Marc

19. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

From the citrus juicers & presses I've seen, the perforated disk would be at the bottom, collecting pulp and allowing the juice to spill into a bowl or cup. The radial stamped grill may rotate to remove excess pulp that's blocking the perforated holes. At least that's my theory. :D

- Gabe

20. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Sorry guys I've nothing to contribute, but from what book are those pics of Kroenen's masks taken from?

Looks pretty cool.

21. darcjedi

well i've never owned or used a juiceer before, so i'll take your word for it :)

and if thats the case, it makes more sense than my theory. so maybe the breather is nearly all juicer parts.

22. hollywoodhardware

The book is "The Art of Hellboy".

I also think that the disk and grill are from the same source. But what is it?

Thomas

23. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

I'm pretty sure Gabe is right on the flexible shaft couplings.

If they used a juicer and Humidifier, they're probably both on the grill/speaker/breather thingies.

One part has got to be the bottom of a vintage hand juicer as seen on eBay.

59_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  24. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The two parts are both from a juicer. I'm sure of it. My grandmother had a manual press juicer that you pressed the lever down on the orange. It had pieces very similar if not almost identical to these. It was a screen for the juice to drain through with a disc with slots in it just like the pic. The slots had bent pieces that dug into the pulp kind of like blades.
    I did a search on manual press juicers and found lots of pics of the juicer but not that specific part. Thats the right direction though.

25. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Just in case anybody wonders why synasp deleted some of our posts:

I'm gonna have to find a way to squeeze all that into my sig... :D

- Gabe

26. synasp

synasp Sr Member

:lol * you Gabe. * you and your copy-paste.

gnrlotto, here's the link to a post about the live auction rules. It was stuck at the top of this forum for weeks and weeks.
    http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...hl=live+auction

Enjoy.

..aaaaand I'm done for tonight. Have a good weekend everyone.
    (except Gabe. No good weekend for you.)

27. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

I think you fellas might looking in the wrong direction.

Try "Sift" ing through vintage kitchen and bakeware ;)

(Sifters) I believe that is a flour/baking sifter.

You put the flour etc in the top and it comes through and you pull a handle and the star part sifts.

Sure looks like a sifter my Grandmother had.

OR... You could ask the member here that worked in the prop-department on Hellboy. :)

28. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Thanks Gabe,
    Oh ok, I just remembered the one...
    I guess I need to watch it again :)

Thanks

29. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

I'd argue agains this idea (one which I myself had) for several reasons:

1) Most vintage sifters (if not all) have wire mesh bottoms (let's more flour out than the salt-shaker look of the juicer I found above).

2) The spinning disc which sifts the flour has more space between the spokes, again to let more flour out.

3) If it was a sifter, it would have taken hours for anything to get through, something which defeats a sifters purpose, and makes it look far different from nearly (or all) other sifters that are vintage.

30. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

One part looks like a laser pen, or a modified bullet shell. :D
    i'll take 50 cents for all my hard work lol

31. muttley

muttley Well-Known Member

I saw something here that looked familiar and figured I'd throw it out there. Those disks look just a HUMIDIFIER inserts I have on my humidor. The perforated disk lets the moist air from a sponge out and the brass rolled collar keeps it all in place. here's kinda the same thing, they come in all sizes, but you get the idea. horribly small pic, but it would be the peice on the left.

http://www.aficionado-a-havanas.com/50CIGARS.jpg

and the juicer part might be the metal disk over the top of that. I thought those old metal squeeze style juicers had a disk like that, but I haven't seen in my search.

like I said, just brainstormin

Neil

32. hollywoodhardware

Hm, I don't know about the hand juicers. They all look to small to me....

Thomas

33. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

I'm willing to bet that the juicer is about 3" diameter. They can't be much bigger on the mask or they'd look grossly out of proportion.

34. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

The juicers and watering cans appear to all have holes in concentric rosette patterns. Maybe the "filter" insert is an added part... If it was thin enough, it would dish out to fit, as Gabe noted.

Here's a highly unlikely candidate, due to age and rarity:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it was the first thing that came to mind. I knew all that OWK gear research would eventually pay off.;)

KD

35. saber_wielder

saber_wielder New Member

Well..I cant rule yours out for I have nothing to bring to the table...but the # of holes dont match up. Not saying there arnt diffrent "styles". I thought the same type thing..I have a piece similar to that on a go cart that was home made from junkyard "found" parts. It too only has 6 holes in it. I also found that it is too big IMO to go on a mask(about 4 1/2")

Good Luck

36. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

How about an air freshoner?

37. Rebo

Rebo Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that the parts are off a gas mask?.

Now the images i've attached are not the right ones but it will give you an idea as to why I think gas-mask.

It might help to find out where the original mask was made, as it will give some idea as to what they had readly available.

38. hollywoodhardware

I went to a lot of industrial type gas masks (I work in a body shop), but wasn't able to find a match. I also have no idea of what a de-humidifier even is. :)

Thomas

39. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

here's a bump and another pic

[​IMG]

40. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I kind of favor the gas mask cartridge. The relationship is just to strong to be coincidental.

Though I am looking at vintage and hand pulpers. Used mostly for pulping cooked tomatoes for sauce or puree.

41. Strickler

Strickler Well-Known Member

Epic necro bump to try for a quick buck?

42. youngpaddy1

youngpaddy1 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

43. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Re: RPF contest: cash reward!

The greeblies look like upside down sink strainers..........