RPF contest: cash reward!

Guys,

I've spent numerous hours trying to identify two items on the following mask:

rpfcontest.jpg

So far with no luck...

On the special edition DVD, the guy who made the mask said that they used "two de-humidifiers" and "two lemon juicers". That's all I know.

I looked over dozens of gas masks, but could not identify the correct filters.

The Contest:

The person who first identifies any of the two items marked with an arrow gets $50.00 in their paypal account.

That means if you identify both items, you get $100.00.

If two different members identify the objects, both get $50.00

Originally, I wanted to give away a prop to the winner, but couldn't find the right thing.

I can only go the paypal way with this, please accept that.

Just to clarify, I need a 100% match.

Happy hunting.

Thomas

edit: additional pics below.

Last edited by a moderator:
The chrome part resembles one of two kinds of flexible shaft couplings:

Spring type:

79006057.jpg

and Bellows type:

bs.jpg

Of course I'd have to see additional angles and have a length and diameter to find the correct one, if it's indeed a coupling.

- Gabe

i could be wrong on this, but i believe the "filters" on the side of the mask are actually made from the juicer and dehumidifier parts combined... i think the inner part is the dehumidifier filter, and the outer "grill" is the juicer part... and the effects shop that built all the kroenen masks is located in spain if i recall, so its possible that those were european only models of those appliances.

-Jeff

It's not a juicer, but the grill beneath the radial drain cover like stamped part resembles a vintage watering can nozzle:

can_4.jpg

can_3.jpg

I know: there aren't enough holes, but it's just one model. :)

- Gabe

dehumidifiers are usaully made up of a series of coils (they cool and reheat essentially wringing the moisture out of the air), a compressor and hardly ever have filtration. Not sure if thats where they got those parts from ... the coiling in the front are those wires? They look copperish to me (which could be a dehumidifiers thermocouple)

i was just watching the section on the dvd about the making of kroenens mask, and it hit me that perhaps we have all been looking at the wrong type of dehumidifier. maybe when they said dehumidifier, they were referring to a dessicant canister/cartridge... something that would hold silica gel or a similar substance. if you look at this page, you'll see what i mean.

now i dont think that is the right cartridge, or they just took the perforated lid and cut it down to fit the juicer parts, as im pretty sure the "filters" arent 4" in diameter.

heres my theory right now... if you look at the pic below, i think that the red tinted areas are the top of the desiccant container, and the blue piece in front of it is part of the juicer mechanism, with the metal wedges that would stick up into the fruit removed.
filter.jpg

now maybe the ring around the outside is another part of the juicer... maybe it was custom machined... who knows at this point. i would suggest looking at different desiccant canisters/cartridges from archival or preservation supply stores. sorry i dont have a better match, but its the best match i could find over my lunch hour.

-jeff

Originally posted by Sporak@Feb 10 2006, 02:48 PM
Guys, what's that from?
Looks neat but I don't recognize it...
[snapback]1181179[/snapback]​
The villain "Kroenen" from Hellboy. He wore 3 types of masks throughout the film:

kroenen_masks.JPG

- Gabe

well, if you want to get technical, he wore 4 masks, but the nazi and ninja masks are basically the same with some different greeblies and a slightly different paint job

Jeff,

I tend to believe that the perforated disk and radial grill are from the same source, if for no other reason, because they both nest perfectly together as domed stampings:

rpfcontest1.JPG

That doesn't mean that the perforated disk wasn't reformed to fit the grill, but the concentric cylinders and tight fit lead me to conclude that they are native mating parts.

- Gabe

Originally posted by darcjedi@Feb 10 2006, 11:58 PM
i was just watching the section on the dvd about the making of kroenens mask, and it hit me that perhaps we have all been looking at the wrong type of dehumidifier.  maybe when they said dehumidifier, they were referring to a dessicant canister/cartridge... something that would hold silica gel or a similar substance.  if you look at this page, you'll see what i mean.

now i dont think that is the right cartridge, or they just took the perforated lid and cut it down to fit the juicer parts, as im pretty sure the "filters" arent 4" in diameter.

heres my theory right now... if you look at the pic below, i think that the red tinted areas are the top of the desiccant container, and the blue piece in front of it is part of the juicer mechanism, with the metal wedges that would stick up into the fruit removed.
filter.jpg

now maybe the ring around the outside is another part of the juicer... maybe it was custom machined... who knows at this point.  i would suggest looking at different desiccant canisters/cartridges from archival or preservation supply stores.  sorry i dont have a better match, but its the best match i could find over my lunch hour.

-jeff
[snapback]1181188[/snapback]​

I think the blue part is scratchbuild. Look at the cutouts, they are different from eachother, looks handcut to me.

Marc

you could be right gabe, and i could be completely off the mark, but in looking at different desiccator housings, there are a lot of them that have that perforated metal part, but none of them have the blue highlighted part (from my image) in front of the perforated part, and that blue part is the only part i can think of that would come from a juicer

Originally posted by LeMarchand@Feb 10 2006, 03:21 PM
I think the blue part is scratchbuild. Look at the cutouts, they are different from eachother, looks handcut to me.

Marc
[snapback]1181198[/snapback]​
Marc - look again at the first unaltered photo - they are clearly dye-stamped, clean-edged, and symmetrical. Darcjedi's hand-drawn highlights are responsible for the "dirty" look of the cutouts.

- Gabe

Originally posted by darcjedi@Feb 10 2006, 03:33 PM
you could be right gabe, and i could be completely off the mark,  but in looking at different desiccator housings, there are a lot of them that have that perforated metal part, but none of them have the blue highlighted part (from my image) in front of the perforated part, and that blue part is the only part i can think of that would come from a juicer
[snapback]1181209[/snapback]​
From the citrus juicers & presses I've seen, the perforated disk would be at the bottom, collecting pulp and allowing the juice to spill into a bowl or cup. The radial stamped grill may rotate to remove excess pulp that's blocking the perforated holes. At least that's my theory. :D

- Gabe

Sorry guys I've nothing to contribute, but from what book are those pics of Kroenen's masks taken from?

Looks pretty cool.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back