Round2/AMT 1/650 TOS U.S.S. Enterprise

I seem to recall building at least two of the original AMT issue of that kit back in the '70's... both suffered catastrophic nacelle separations!
;^P

R/ Rober
Yeah; I had to literally build all-new pylons for mine, and specially mount them into the secondary hull (custom mounting block that prevented them from pulling the secondary hull apart).

My Dad had a great fix for nacelle droop.

He lowered the saucer and leaned it back level with the pylons.

The secondary hull pointing downwards a bit was less jarring than droop.

He did shave the front of the secondary hull at an angle to get the dish pointed more or less forward.

And then my cousin broke it.

What I liked about it is that the nacelles stood above and well clear of the saucer—a souped up look…like bigger tires on the back of muscle cars.

Secondary hulls should come with inner rails where you slide one half-side along the other until it snaps…then fill with resin that flows into the pylons and neck.

Break now you %^&#%!

Last edited:
Something else I have seen…

The AMT 1/650 (as seen in the long box photo)…does not exist:

See Karl Tate’s photograph.
Took a look at that: it looks more like the pylons were extended rather than the saucer being "dropped" (compare the lengths between the pro model build and the model photo in the link).

I think to get that look you'd have to cut a big square hole in the secondary hull, move them closer in a tighter "V" slot corner bracket (extrusion?) of some kind.

Last edited:
Took a look at that: it looks more like the pylons were extended rather than the saucer being "dropped" (compare the lengths between the pro model build and the model photo in the link).

That explains I think why my best attempt to line up a shot of my out-of-the-box build of the 2nd version long box model with the box art only partly succeeded.

Attachments

• amtbox.png
    amtbox.png
    895.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I think to get that look you'd have to cut a big square hole in the secondary hull, move them closer in a tighter "V" slot corner bracket (extrusion?) of some kind.
Not really; on mine, I simply shifted the angle slightly on the pylons when I glued them in. Then again, I did make my own pylons.

Adam Savage expressed an interest into the mold making process behind styrene kits and was rebuffed...that being a big secret overseas.

One thing AI might do would be to allow scanning of model kit trees and retroactively back-engineer molds out of them...reshaping them virtually to have the more gentle B/C decks of early kits---moving the nacelle support slots back a tad---Kerr drawing adaptations, etc.

BTW mitxela has a YouTube called "Tiny Volumetric Display" that has a rapidly spinning LED array just asking to go behind a nacelle cap-

Now to graph a 1/1000 saucer stop the 1/650...I wonder if the saucer alone would be 947 feel alone then... :)

Last edited:
On the Round2 Tholian Glow-in-the-Dark version—-I hope they do a re-pop but with the decal sheets in what is known as zip-a-tone:

What that does is allow the glow to bleed through the decals…perhaps with scotchlite for top and bottom domes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back