Round2 Acquires Star Wars License

Best screen grab I got from the stream of the RC:

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 4.39.04 PM.png

Must have that Round 2 Razorcrest! Great surface details and the size is brilliant, even if I need that tiny bonsai bandai razors too. Shut up and take my money!!!

Nice, finally a good pic to illustrate scale and level of detail. It looks amazing. I still wonder what Revell's will look like?

Well Bandai have raised the bar, & Round2 have reached it with the detail on this kit, can’t wait to have this in my collection

Now, will I use paint or foil?

John

Tamiya makes a rattle can color labeled "Bare Metal Silver" and I think it has the best chance of looking the best. I am using it on my 1974 Mecha Godzilla vinyl figure. Like most metallic paints, the smoother the base coat the shinier the finish. The finish of the Razor Crest always looked like bare shiny metal rather than chrome to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Hopefully they will start cranking out those Star Wars kits!

Some of us will never make it, if they do 1 or 2 a year.

Cockpit detail is also impressive with the two figures to be included - though that Grogu is half the size of a grain of rice is somewhat intimidating. I am assuming there will be clear parts fro the windows given the details he showed in the cockpit. And, given the size - lighting this kit is going to be less daunting than some of the tighter tolerances you find in the Bandai kits. Very looking forward to this kit. I am very impressed with what I have seen of it.

Wow. Razorcrest looks so good. I haven’t been this excited for a new kit since forever. Bandai kits are great but the scale for the fighters is too small for me and I built my last falcon with th deago. I am glad to see a US company really knocking it out of the park. The actual filming model isn’t much bigger than this is it?

And to think that people were worried that they would not be able to get the details right or sharp. People doubting they could ever compete with Bandai

And for one thing, I am looking forward to a traditional glue kit. If this was a Bandai kit, the would be a ton of extra parts needed for the snap fit, and there will probably be a lot more room in this for an interior and lighting without need to cut away a lot of stuff

Round 2 newly tooled kits are light years ahead of the old MPC days. Many just do not realize it outside of the Space 1999 side of things

RCCapture.PNG
RC4Capture.PNG
RC3Capture.PNG
RC2Capture.PNG

Last edited:
And to think that people were worried that they would not be able to get the details right or sharp. People doubting they could ever compete with Bandai

And for one thing, I am looking forward to a traditional glue kit. If this was a Bandai kit, the would be a ton of extra parts needed for the snap fit, and there will probably be a lot more room in this for an interior and lighting without need to cut away a lot of stuff

Round 2 newly tooled kits are light years ahead of the old MPC days. Many just do not realize it outside of the Space 1999 side of things

View attachment 1490881View attachment 1490883View attachment 1490882View attachment 1490880
I do agree, but a small word of caution: the Razor Crest is is a mock-up, and not a test shot.

I do agree, but a small word of caution: the Razor Crest is is a mock-up, and not a test shot.
It looks like a kit to me. It's obvious it was assembled for him, partly, but you can see seams where parts connect. When his camera focuses, you can see the sharp lines and intricate details.

It's a kit made of separate parts. But it looks like a 3D print to me, not a test shot from an actual injection moulding using final tooling. So it all depends. It might mean there will be a significant difference in quality between these 3D test prints and the final product. Or, if they hire a decent factory that produces quality tooling and product, the end result could well be fine. Time will tell!

Oh, for the luvva... When amt re-worked the tool of their NCC-2000-version Excelsior model kit into the Enterprise-B, it was a permanent alteration. Polar Lights -- and, later, Round2 -- Had to reverse-engineer those back into the Excelsior -- and decided to do it as the NX-2000 version this time. Some parts are the same, but they did a good job matching the old amt tool... Unfortunately. *lol* It wasn't the most accurate. More recently they did the Grissom and Bird-of-Prey as a two pack. Both snap models. Both what I would call Bandai quality for fit, accuracy, and detail. They've also reworked a lot of smaller amt kits into snap kits.

Then there are their glorious huge high-detail 1:350 kits of the NX-01, NCC-1701, -1701 refit, and K't'inga that I'd put on par with any of the big Gundam kits or the PG Millennium Falcon.

I never understood the leeriness at this announcement. The final Razor Crest will be just as nice as the test article. They'll find the right way to do it to capture everything while not making things as fiddly as the FineMolds Falcon. :p

Oh, for the luvva... When amt re-worked the tool of their NCC-2000-version Excelsior model kit into the Enterprise-B, it was a permanent alteration. Polar Lights -- and, later, Round2 -- Had to reverse-engineer those back into the Excelsior -- and decided to do it as the NX-2000 version this time. Some parts are the same, but they did a good job matching the old amt tool... Unfortunately. *lol* It wasn't the most accurate. More recently they did the Grissom and Bird-of-Prey as a two pack. Both snap models. Both what I would call Bandai quality for fit, accuracy, and detail. They've also reworked a lot of smaller amt kits into snap kits.
I have both the ancient AMT Excelsior and the Round 2 repop. I should drag them both out of my stash and take some side to side comparison pics.

Last edited:
Oh, for the luvva...
I never understood the leeriness at this announcement. The final Razor Crest will be just as nice as the test article. They'll find the right way to do it to capture everything while not making things as fiddly as the FineMolds Falcon. :p
Imagine if they had totally overhauled the MPC Falcon, instead of just the sidewalls.

Having the hull curvature, the mandible length & basic greeblies fixed, all with the minimum of parts to build, basically the same number of kit parts as the original kit

J

Imagine if they had totally overhauled the MPC Falcon, instead of just the sidewalls.

Having the hull curvature, the mandible length & basic greeblies fixed, all with the minimum of parts to build, basically the same number of kit parts as the original kit

J
Give it some time John, they probably will do an all new one.

Then there are their glorious huge high-detail 1:350 kits of the NX-01, NCC-1701, -1701 refit, and K't'inga that I'd put on par with any of the big Gundam kits or the PG Millennium Falcon.

You are right. It will be very nice. Will it be as perfect as a high precision 3D print, only time will tell.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back