ROTS Darth Sidious Silicone Mask WIP

Eopie Herder

Sr Member
A buddy of mine and I have been wanting to do some silicone masks, so I figured since I wasn't as familiar with making them I'd start off with something familiar to use as a test subject. I'm not used to working with an armature and needing to keep thickness in mind, so I thought doing something I liked would work, but not something that if I made mistakes in the design/molding/casting process I wouldn't be compelled to go back and do the same subject again. I've done plenty of sculpture, and casting in silicone...but not like this. Seems fairly straightforward in the creation of silicone masks, but still.

Anyway, I chose Revenge of the Sith Palpatine as it's something I do with makeup I created back in '05 for the release of the film. Just some quick prosthetics I made in two days time. I'm familiar enough with the design, and it's something I felt I didn't need to be completely accurate on with making it look 100% film accurate and 100% accurate of Ian McDiarmid as each wearer's own bone structure is going to alter the features slightly anyway.

So, WIP time. Sculpt is nearing completion...need to add his left ear, fix a few symmetry things and finish texturing. I'm attempting to mold next weekend, as my first lesson learned is not to use WED clay. Works great for solid sculpts, but thin applications such as this is causing it to dry up quicker than usual. The harsh lightin is muting a lot of the texture that is already there, but once it gets closer to competion I'll take some better pics. there is a lot of detail that is not coming through in the pictures.

DSCF2232.jpg

DSCF2233.jpg

DSCF2234.jpg

DSCF2235.jpg

Thanks!

About to get started working on it today, and got a better pic with my phone that shows some of the detail as it stands right now.

photo1.jpg

Kinda sad that my phone got a better pic than my camera.

Thanks!

A few more...

DSCF2236.jpg

DSCF2237.jpg

DSCF2238.jpg

DSCF2240.jpg

The clay is at the point where I have to mold this weekend, I don't think it's going to last much more past that, no matter how moist I keep it. So, no WED clay next go around!

The likeness is amazing, I'm sure it's going to be an awesome mask! I love the natural look of the wrinkles, although I would have gone for a less "happy" look

You know what, I'm going to upload some pics of the sculpt I made on february. I don't feel very proud of it (because it's a really rushed job and because I don't have a good silicone casting yet), but I can't just hide it forever. But I think yours looks better!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back