Roddy McDowall's Planet of the apes home movies

I love when the makeup man puts the very first prosthetic piece up to Roddy's face, how the actor instantly transforms into an ape, into Cornelius.

What great film footage!

The Wook

ps~I feel bad for the gorgeous Nova, though...she looked like she was trying so hard to speak, yet still no sounds came out of her mouth.

He was damn good with that camera too. Very steady and smooth with it's movements, and he had an eye for framing shots.

I spy with my little eye -- Check it out at 9:09 - two white stage buildings below. Standing upright at the corner of the left one is the ICARUS Spaceship. AWESOME! Thanks for posting this.

I spy with my little eye -- Check it out at 9:09 - two white stage buildings below. Standing upright at the corner of the left one is the ICARUS Spaceship. AWESOME! Thanks for posting this.

Your a god! great eye.

Sadly we know it rotted on the backlot afterwards, did it not end up as a roadside motel decoration for a while?

Icarus1968.jpg

I think this clip is one of the best POTA makeup application footages I've seen. I particularly enjoyed watching the technique for applying hair strands around the hairline. It also gives some fantastic shots of the inside of the mouth. It certainly makes one want to break out the latex...

Over at hobbytalk....

Originally Posted by Sonett
That's not all. The full scale Jupiter 2 2 is also visible near the upper right corner between 9:18 and 9:20. It is in the same location last used for "Visit to a Hostile Planet"

Sadly we know it rotted on the backlot afterwards, did it not end up as a roadside motel decoration for a while?

That's a roger.

Phil Broad has pix, but I don't believe he's posted them to Cloudster yet.

The motel in question subsequently burned down, sometime during the mid-90's, and the remains of the "Apes" ship went with it.

The McDowell footage was the subject of a lengthy thread on HobbyTalk a few years back. Scott Alexander posted a terrific studio lot shot of the "Apes" ship taken sometime prior to its "truncation" for "Escape." I'll see if I can dig it up.

I wonder if when they trucked it out to the lake it was visable to other cars?
That would have been a hoot, people would think it was the real deal back then.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back