Rock on! New licensed Serenity toys!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kaylee, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

After hearing that MRL was thinking of adding the operative sword to their lineup, I wrote to ask 'em if that was so, and what timeline they were thinking of.. here was there fantabulous response

Time to start saving some coin, I think. :)

2. JediLip

JediLip Well-Known Member

Cool...but, who's MRL? And are these actually toys?

3. Darth Bill

Darth Bill Well-Known Member

They got licensing to make this stuff and they don't even know how to spell 'Reaver' correctly...?? :confused

Russ

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

MRL --
    Museum Replicas Limited
    http://www.museumreplicas.com/

The blades will almost certainly be of Windlass make -- not the best, but far and away better than the $20 "ninja sword" gesa at BudK and such. (I mean "toys" in the sense of 'fun for (nominal) grownups to play with' not 'little tiny plastic things' -- they should be fairly faithful reproductions of the screen-used stuff.)

(And Darth.. that is kinda odd, but I'm not surprised. Didn't prop store UK call 'em "Reapers" at the start? :) )

5. JediLip

JediLip Well-Known Member

Ah...I see. When you said "toys" I was picturing action figures and oversized plastic weapons. :$

I'd like to see how they do with those bladed weapons. Let's hope they produce some of the firearms too. :D

6. mez7

mez7 Sr Member

ive been to their site before......thier gijoe swords were scheduled to be out like a year or 2 ago :unsure

7. TK-6790

TK-6790 New Member

Did they give any indication of their price point for that sword?

8. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

I believe there is an MRL rep that is a member of the board.

In any case, color me excited. I am really interested to see what they do with the license. Their LOTR stuff has been pretty * nice so far.

If any MRL people are reading this, I'd kill for an all metal Mal pistol replica. I know that I am not alone either.

9. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

I would like that Browncoat. That is if it costs less then the Abbyshot version.

10. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

This is so topical. A prop guy, uses some piece of junk, off the shelf kind of thing, for a movie. Then some big company comes along, and makes a "replica" of it, using inaccurate materials, slapping logo's all over it, and selling it for 5 times what the original piece of junk sold for. (BTW, I'm talking about the operatives sword in this case) No thanks, I'll be picking up the piece of junk, and making my own "replica" for far less, and it will look just as good (if not better) hanging on my wall.

I am glad that someone is paying attention to this franchise though. Maybe, after they get the easy stuff out of the way, they'll move on to the truly impressive stuff.

Jason

11. Adar Tallon

Adar Tallon New Member

Ohhh that's snazzy.

12. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

If there's one good thing about living where I do (middle Ga.) it's that I'm about an hour from these guys. Or maybe it's a bad thing...

13. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Judging by other Windlass blades they sell.. and accounting for the fact that it's pretty darn simple construction and kinda small.. I'm gonna speculate it'll run $125 - $175... likely right about the middle of that range.

And honestly... I'd sooner have a Windlass blade than a redressed 420 stainless flea market sword-ish thing any day of the week. I know we aren't talking custom bladesmithing or anything, but for the hundred or so dollar difference (not counting time money and effort), the difference is astounding. "Top shelf of the bottom shelf" as it were.

But hey, to each their own. :)

14. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is it my imagination, or do the knock-off swords have one less slot in the blade than the Operative's sword?

15. SmilingOtter

You're right. The Operative's sword has five "dashes" and four "dots" while the budk version is four dashes and three dots. The budk version is also three inches shorter than the one in the movie.

16. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

I second that. Real excited about this stuff. Can't wait for more info.

17. darthgoat

What are you talking about? Zero information on the actual pieces has been released as far as I can tell.

18. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

I hit Museum Rep's site and didn't see anything Firefly/Serenity on it yet. Did they have any particualr release dates set? I've ordered things from them in the past and been very satisfied with the quality although they've had serious shipping delays pending the items be delviered to them. A cloak (which I still use on occation after 15 years in my wardrobe) that I ordered took over a year to deliver but that was the only bad story I have out of over a dozen orders from them.

19. BigDumbWookiee

BigDumbWookiee Well-Known Member

Any timeframe on the release of these items?

I agree with the sentiment about backorders/delays, I still have not received my set of Boromir Vambraces that I ordered back in September/October.

20. John Smallberries

John Smallberries New Member

Cool cant Wait

21. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Any new info on this?

22. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

1. The budK sword is too short, has too few dots and slashes, and has the wrong handle However, Joss is notorious for using found items/weapons in his films/shows. In the generic sword world, there are dozens of swords that look very similar, because as soon as one company, makes one that sells well, all the other companies do knockoffs So, wall the sword Budk is wrong, I have no doubt that, at lest the blade of this sword, is a found object.

2. Windlass's swords are wall hangers, nice ones, but still wall hangers. I wouldn't think of going into battle with a windless sward. Not that I would battle with a sword, or for that matter with that style of sword. So, way pay more for something that's still junk? Some people just look to through there money away. It's like my old Photography teacher used to say, "You can put bells and ribbons, on a pile of dog *, but in the end, you still just have a pile of dog *." (I cleaned that up a bit for the boards :lol )

Jason

23. darthgoat

So by your logic my LOTR wall hangers are junk then?

24. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

I've got a few of the LOTR United Cutlery swords, and I bought them knowing precisely what they are - decorative art that can be hung on the wall. I wouldn't call them crap unless you are evaluating them as swords, in which case they are most definitely garbage. High chromium content steel is very brittle, and they have rat-tail tangs. Using them as swords is a good way to ensure that your genetic material is not passed on.

25. SmilingOtter

I can't comment on the metallurgy, but my uruk-hai "scimitar" is a very solid piece.

Of course, if someone enters my apartment unannounced, I'm pretty sure I'd reach from my Glock before any of my cutlery...

Not being that much of a purist, my BudK "Operative-ish" blade is good enough. But I'm all kinds of interested in seeing the other offerings.

26. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I can't agree with the "Windlass are wallhangers" comment.

Now no, they aren't Atrims. They certainly aren't Lundemo custom pieces. But they're nonetheless in a totally different class from the 440C flea market stuff BudK and others carry. The metallurgy is decent, the tangs are solid, and while they're often clunkier and less refined than more performance-oriented pieces, they still aren't likely to snap when you smack 'em.

Along with some of Paul Chen's stuff, I'd put them in the "bargain practical" category. Not the best, but not fragile wallhangers either.

Now, I've heard Windlass used to have some pretty bad QC problems, but word over on swordforums and such is that that's mostly over -- here's a sample review of another Windlass item of about the same size as the operative piece will be --

http://www.myarmoury.com/review_mrl_cinq.html
    (emphasis added)
    )

So far as the LOTR stuff.. IIRC the Uruk machete-thing was the only non-Museum Collection piece that wasn't made out of stainless... 'cause they wanted it to rust. I imagaine most things ya hit with it would break before it did though. :)

The LOTR Museum Collection looks to be about on a par with a prettified Windlass, judging from the Sting (I've not handled the Glamdring yet). Their regular stuff... ugh. handle like lead axles. :)

ANYHOW.. I think it's safe to say that (at least for me) a Windlass version will be well worth the $100 or so difference between it an a BudK version. :) Though yeah.. someone uninvited in the house would get the 45 Colt treatment over the Windlass treatment. :)

27. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Sorry, but for me a wallhanger, is a wall hanger, it's either battle ready, or it's not. If I'm going to buy junk, I'm going to get it at a bargon. :lol

I have a friend that works for the Cincinnati History Museum, and he has been on my case for years for bothering to buy wallhangers of any kind. He's not wrong, if you love swords, and if you've used the real thing, there's really no comparison.

I'm not a gun man myself. I have wallhangers for looks, but if someone brakes into my home, in less there packing serious fire power, they'll getting the point end of either, my hand forged, full tang, carbon steel, sword made in Italy, or my genuine WWII officers Katana. (The Katana, isn't as nice as my Italian sword, but it's worth more if it's killed. :) Plus, there's just such an art to it. "not as clomzie or random as a blaster" kind of thing.)

Jason

28. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

his is so topical. A prop guy, uses some piece of junk, off the shelf kind of thing, for a movie. Then some big company comes along, and makes a "replica" of it, using inaccurate materials, slapping logo's all over it, and selling it for 5 times what the original piece of junk sold for

agreed, liscensed this and liscened that. I miss the old days when we could have fun doing small runs without fearing the gestopo.

As for MRL.... the biggest problem is their lack of truthful advertising. Their swords or weapons are hand forged (translation, they grind them out). Okay fine, so say that. By advertising hand forged this or that when there are people who really do hand forge blades in forges using actual historical techniques, its simply misleading. They have also removed the photos showing there factory floor with all the grinding machines....not a single anvil to be seen anywhere.

Unlike MR who has acknowledged (wink and a nod) the usefulness --dare I say help--of the research and efforts of fans, the RPF etc and MRL has also hurt a lot of the very people that drove the interest in Medieval and historical reproductions...ie the people who were instrumental since the 60s and 70s in pioneering research and education. Sort of like shooting your own family. Its also worth mentioning that MRL does not own themselves...ie, WINDLASS STEELCRAFTS, yet another overseas company owns MRL...they mere front for the old MRL namesake and import Windlass parts.

Go here to see the same stuff you see on the MRL website http://www.windlass.com/

.....and the question of labor conditions and child labor was never addressed. Most of those people work for pennies on the dollar to display in our living rooms. As an armourer and blacksmith I know the dangers of metal working...the idea of some guy making barely enough to feed his family, save the idea of a kid working in those conditions bugs the hell out of me.

29. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

personally ive never minded being called a snob when it comes to swords. I own wallhangers..... back from my days of when i didnt know better..... then one day i knew better.... and now...... the only thing i buy is custom swords or semi custom (in the case of ATrims)
    Personally i throw MRL products into a category i have summerized as "production"..... this includes any mass marketed sword..... even including Paul Chens........
    So when you buy production, dont expect a magnificent item.

30. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

If you want something that looks good on your wall, that you never intend to play with, and that you expect to go up in value, or at lest hold it's value. Then by all means, buy the licensed stuff.

If you're just looking for something cool to hang on the wall, and you don't care if it goes up in value. Then save yourself a lot of money and ju,st get the cheeper version. If this sword wasn't a found item, it will be within 6 months of MRL's items, because there will be about a dozen companies in 3rd world countries that will be pumping them out at a fraction of the price.

If you have a lot of money, and you want a real grown up sword. Get one made. There are a number of fine places right here in the US that will custom make a quality sword for you. There have been a number of these places mentioned here, and let me add Badger Blades. There swards, are very basic in appearance, ut then again, so is the operatives sward, and Badger Blades swords, can cut through brick without a scratch, and they do customs. :)

Jason

31. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hmm, well not that learning about the differences in wall hangers versus real swords isn't interesting and probably helpful for some people...I don't think this thread was started with the intention of debating which is better. ;)

32. Birdie

I couldn't agree more :rolleyes

If I buy a movie replica gun, I don't expect to beable to shoot someone with it.

The Budk sword is really nothing like the movie sword, so I'm looking forward to the licenced one. If it looks like the one in the movie, and it's made of metal, then it's fine by me. It'll look cool on my wall.

33. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Who is the "his" you are refering too?

And your last comment....while maybe true....is that directed at MRL? Because if it is....you need to widen your attack a bit. Look at all the liscensed items out there. Where were they made? USA? I dont think so. Your vent sounded a bit personal, and really has nothing to do with this thread.

34. Durasteel Corporation

I was quoting the comment above.....

Oh I see what you mean....MRL is technically BOTH master rep and museum rep.

I am not alone at being * at Museum Rep. They have a long history of stealing research and profitting from it...and trying to copyright history and the objects in the public domain...which is fundamentally scary. Ive seen reproductions made at events...especially made for one person, only to see that same piece replicated --complete with the same extrapolated details---in thier catalog.

As for MADE IN CHINA. Yeah I got a problem with it like millions of Americans who have lost work to cheap imports-- Its killing the g-* country by bleeding us of our employed workforce.. Everything is made overseas...why? To save a buck. But at what cost? Is it not arrogant to think that we can keep on going info-tech and errode the industrial powerhouse ....we once were. :unsure Only intelligent explanation Ive heard for a lack of legislation to redirect a lot of the china business back to the states is also the most troubling....a zillion male population. And what happens to males when they are underfed, under-empowered, under represented ..and underp paid or out of work? If history proves anything, it leads to armed conflict---war. According to this theory, by sending the money to china, we buy them off? Yet we shoot ourselves in the foot....take away the jobs for millions of americans (um , Ford is a good example) and whos gonna buy Chinese imports then? Especially as there are very tangible rumblings in China about wages and working conditions. Powder keg.

I think Im really bugged about the fact that this crap is at best just novelty stuff....pop art.

Something is seriously wrong when we start importing....our art.

35. Birdie

Durasteel, try looking up Capitalism in the dictionary, and please stop derailing this thread. Pretty please?

36. Durasteel Corporation

Please. At what cost?.

37. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Expect? No, I guess not.

But it's infinitely cooler if it actually works. :D

38. SonicRage

SonicRage New Member

Has anyone bought or seen the MRL Kingdom of Heaven mask?:

[​IMG]

I've been thinking about getting one for a while but at $79, I'm afraid it'll be a really cheap looking prop.

39. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

I can't speak for everyone else here, that has spoken against these items, but I can speak for myself.

Capitalism, is fine, and when we give work to foreign nations, it is a good thing. We get what we want cheep, and they get income (how ever small) that they otherwise wouldn't get. We're not idiots, but swet shops are another story. Cheep is cheep. Torture, is torture.

As for derailing this thread. Well, if the only reason, for this thread is to announce that MRL is going to make serenity props, then that was achieved in the first post. If the point of this thread, is to cause us all to rock back and forth, and giggle with glee, like a bunch of retards, over the fact that another load of over priced junk is going to be rolling out, well sorry, some of us have standers, and unfortunately we're free to say so.

Don't like it. Don't read it.

Jason

40. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

This is not the thread for this. And if you are so concerned with ethics....think back to the Carbonite castings.....someone else did all the work and research into that....and you were going to/did recast them....well.......not going to get into it..... But don't preach. Not a good idea.

41. Birdie

Let me get this right. Are you basicallysaying that a licenced replica sword should not be produced unless it is to the standard that it can actually be used for combat?

Aren't such pieces somewhat expensive? Like $500 upwards?

We are talking here about a replica sword from a movie that pretty much bombed in the cinema. I think we are pretty lucky to be getting any licenced product at all.

I don't believe a price has even been announced on this piece, btw, so how do you know it will be overpriced junk?

Jason, your post comes across as simply condescending and snottily elitist. And if you don'tlike that, don't read it.

42. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the real vs. wallhanger debate has run its course, and the capitalism discussion is even more off-topic. Let's please return discussion to the topic of the thread. (If there's nothing else to say about that topic, then just let the thread be).

43. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

I believe some people are getting confused. No, a replica sward does not have to be battle ready. Heck, most of the operative swards, if not all, were aluminum, according to "The Propstore of London". I just feel that people should be informed, and know that they are not buying "real" swords. Secondly, they will most certainly be over priced. Yes, the market determines what is a fare price, and yes, there will be those that pay the exorbitant fees ask initially for the items when they hit the market. Some people just don't get it, and don't know any better. They have more money, then since. However, they usual miss a true, long lasting market, because some people do have standards, and some people know the true "value" of wallhangers, made for practically nothing.

Yep, Thank you. I am, and proud of it. Just like 90% of the people I've met here over the years. :lol It's not easy to have standers, in a word were people cut back on service and quality, wile price clime ever higher, and so few seem to care.

Jason

44. dr_slurpee

Jason just drop it already, stop hijacking the bloody topic with your petty insults at those members that buy the stuff you think is "junk". Thinking the product is junk is one thing, voicing that opinion again is one thing, calling people giggling retards for looking forward to, or wanting to buy, the replicas is another. If you continue hijacking the thread I imagine Treadwell will concider locking it up. You've said your peice on the quality and price of some items now leave it alone and stop insulting people.

45. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

(bump music)

And now, back to New Licensed Serenity toys.

(da da da DA DAAAAA.)

P.S. Spell check is a wonderful thing. Just sayin'. ;)

46. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Yes, massers. I wouldn't want to intrudes an original thought, or anything. (OO cracking on spelling, that's so original)

Yeah, more stuff to buy. Woohoo. I really can't weight, What else is on the list. What else should I look forward to? Please tell me.

Seriously, I do love the movie, and wish that there where more merchandise out there for it. So, what else is to come. I am a member of this forum, it's not like I'm against props, so come on what else is there to come.

Jason

47. Birdie

I think one thing you are missing in regard to the pricing of items such as this is the large amount of $$ that a company has to shell out to a studio to obtain a licence to put out official replicas.

My standards may be low by your account, but they aren't low enough to shell out dough of a knock-off that looks nothing like the original :p

48. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Sh, where not supposed to talk about that any more. (Though most of the knockoffs I have look just like the high end stuff, because I do my research, and junk is junk)

Anyways, I wish some company would do the guns. I love Jayne's MP5 and 1911. :) (I might even pay for the licensed ones of those)

Jason

49. dr_slurpee

Yeah the guns would be cool, though I prefer the series guns to the movie guns.

They could probably make some good money by making licensed versions of Jayne's shirts, there seems to be a lot of people wanting those anyway.

50. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

:) Now isn't that nice. No, really, I do like it when we all get along.

To be honest, I like the stuff from the show a little better too. :) Not that the stuff in the movie was bad by any means, it's just that it looks like so much work went into the stuff for the show. I love may casting of Mal's gun from the show, but what I wouldn't do for a metal one. :) Jayne's pistol from the show rocks too. I'm not a huge fan of the fin things on top of he barrel of jayne's pistol, but there growing on me. ;) I can't weight to get one of the PAL's, and the "first" laser gun, or the laser gun, in the episode with the prostitutes, would be fun too. :) Plus, I would love to have Jayne's rasp knife from Jayne's town. :)

I agree about the shirts too. The Yellow gun shirt from the movie, that there working on here on the boards looks amazing, but the unlicensed fighting elves shirt that's floating around out there, is way to orange. We, kind of, I ordered one, and opened the package in day light, and it looked perfect, but then when I took it inside, it was way to orange. (And, it was Florissant light, so the incandescent light excuse doesn't cut it. :( )_There sure were a lot of shirts to choose from.

I also wish they would do a good, licensed version of Jayne's hat. I've seen some really, really, nice ones, but I've seen just as many really, really, bad ones. It would be nice to have a definitive one (if there is such a creature) to set the standard.

Jason