Rock on! New licensed Serenity toys!

Kaylee

After hearing that MRL was thinking of adding the operative sword to their lineup, I wrote to ask 'em if that was so, and what timeline they were thinking of.. here was there fantabulous response

We are, in fact, in the process of making a number of
pieces from Serenity. We will be offering

The Operative's Sword with backpack scabbard

River's Reever Sword

River's Reever Axe

Mal's Browncoat

All of these items will be a summer release and as
soon as we have prices and release info, they will be
on our website. Thanks for the support.

Sincerely,

Dave Di Pietro
Director of Sales & Marketing

Time to start saving some coin, I think. :)

MRL --
Museum Replicas Limited
http://www.museumreplicas.com/

The blades will almost certainly be of Windlass make -- not the best, but far and away better than the $20 "ninja sword" gesa at BudK and such. (I mean "toys" in the sense of 'fun for (nominal) grownups to play with' not 'little tiny plastic things' -- they should be fairly faithful reproductions of the screen-used stuff.)

(And Darth.. that is kinda odd, but I'm not surprised. Didn't prop store UK call 'em "Reapers" at the start? :) )

Originally posted by Kaylee@Jan 23 2006, 06:38 PM
MRL --
Museum Replicas Limited
http://www.museumreplicas.com/

The blades will almost certainly be of Windlass make -- not the best, but far and away better than the $20 "ninja sword" gesa at BudK and such.  (I mean "toys" in the sense of  'fun for (nominal) grownups to play with' not 'little tiny plastic things' -- they should be fairly faithful reproductions of the screen-used stuff.)

Ah...I see. When you said "toys" I was picturing action figures and oversized plastic weapons. :$

I'd like to see how they do with those bladed weapons. Let's hope they produce some of the firearms too. :D

ive been to their site before......thier gijoe swords were scheduled to be out like a year or 2 ago :unsure

I believe there is an MRL rep that is a member of the board.

In any case, color me excited. I am really interested to see what they do with the license. Their LOTR stuff has been pretty damn nice so far.

If any MRL people are reading this, I'd kill for an all metal Mal pistol replica. I know that I am not alone either.

This is so topical. A prop guy, uses some piece of junk, off the shelf kind of thing, for a movie. Then some big company comes along, and makes a "replica" of it, using inaccurate materials, slapping logo's all over it, and selling it for 5 times what the original piece of junk sold for. (BTW, I'm talking about the operatives sword in this case) No thanks, I'll be picking up the piece of junk, and making my own "replica" for far less, and it will look just as good (if not better) hanging on my wall.

I am glad that someone is paying attention to this franchise though. Maybe, after they get the easy stuff out of the way, they'll move on to the truly impressive stuff.

Jason

If there's one good thing about living where I do (middle Ga.) it's that I'm about an hour from these guys. Or maybe it's a bad thing...

Judging by other Windlass blades they sell.. and accounting for the fact that it's pretty darn simple construction and kinda small.. I'm gonna speculate it'll run $125 - $175... likely right about the middle of that range.

And honestly... I'd sooner have a Windlass blade than a redressed 420 stainless flea market sword-ish thing any day of the week. I know we aren't talking custom bladesmithing or anything, but for the hundred or so dollar difference (not counting time money and effort), the difference is astounding. "Top shelf of the bottom shelf" as it were.

But hey, to each their own. :)

Is it my imagination, or do the knock-off swords have one less slot in the blade than the Operative's sword?

You're right. The Operative's sword has five "dashes" and four "dots" while the budk version is four dashes and three dots. The budk version is also three inches shorter than the one in the movie.

Originally posted by darthgoat@Jan 24 2006, 07:33 PM
If any MRL people are reading this, I'd kill for an all metal Mal pistol replica.  I know that I am not alone either.
[snapback]1166926[/snapback]​

I second that. Real excited about this stuff. Can't wait for more info.

Originally posted by jason1976@Jan 24 2006, 04:58 PM
This is so topical.  A prop guy, uses some piece of junk, off the shelf kind of thing, for a movie.  Then some big company comes along, and makes a "replica" of it, using inaccurate materials, slapping logo's all over it, and selling it for 5 times what the original piece of junk sold for. (BTW, I'm talking about the operatives sword in this case) No thanks, I'll be picking up the piece of junk, and making my own "replica" for far less, and it will look just as good (if not better) hanging on my wall.

I am glad that someone is paying attention to this franchise though.  Maybe, after they get the easy stuff out of the way, they'll move on to the truly impressive stuff.

Jason
[snapback]1167073[/snapback]​

What are you talking about? Zero information on the actual pieces has been released as far as I can tell.

I hit Museum Rep's site and didn't see anything Firefly/Serenity on it yet. Did they have any particualr release dates set? I've ordered things from them in the past and been very satisfied with the quality although they've had serious shipping delays pending the items be delviered to them. A cloak (which I still use on occation after 15 years in my wardrobe) that I ordered took over a year to deliver but that was the only bad story I have out of over a dozen orders from them.

Any timeframe on the release of these items?

I agree with the sentiment about backorders/delays, I still have not received my set of Boromir Vambraces that I ordered back in September/October.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back