RoboCop GQ Model - WIP

RoboTrap

I've finally resurrected my old RoboCop project, and decided to give the RPF a taste of where I'm sitting right now! When I started these files, the idea was to go the Pepakura route due to never in a million years being able to afford 3D printing. As the model has become more complex - and 3D printing more feasible - I finally made the decision to go full bore and make these the most detailed, complete files I can possibly make them, right down to the individual nuts and bolts (literally, I modeled the hardware!) since I can always scale back on the detail later if my bank account decides Pepakura is still the way this is going to happen. My positively insane goal is to have a wearable suit by Halloween this year. I don't know if I can do it, but I've wanted this my whole life; it's worth a shot!

And because someone's gonna be wondering about the thread title: GQ was the nickname given to the five hero suits on RoboCop 2, to separate them from the four stunt suits.

This model is specifically emulating the RoboCop 2 hero suit, my favorite version of the suit. But with a couple of modifications to the thighs and collar and some latch swapping, it instantly becomes a RoboCop 3/Series suit (as the existing RoboSuits were simply modified for Burke on Robo3, with only one new piece made to accommodate his different dimensions) and with even further work could become a Robo1 suit, but... fav movie of all time or no, that's the most impractical thing on the planet!

2ZjocIy.jpg
hXE9PAS.jpg

bglbeM9.jpg
GHM2jJW.jpg

Nothing has been prettied up. The only changes made to the design have been some minor corrections in symmetry, with every instance carefully weighed and reasoned out as to which side should be mirrored or whether to combine the two details, or in a few instances actually kept as long as I deemed them to be intentional design details and not faults in execution.

There are a couple of areas where details are still missing, such as the chest and calves; these areas have such particular and uncompromising curves that I want to ensure everything is perfect before I start laying down all that additional detail, which would only serve to mask defects instead of emphasizing them.

lKC0MUF.jpg

RS14kj5.jpg

sY9mzmf.jpg

Every. Single. Detail. Is here. From rarely seen details tucked in hidden corners, to never seen details that were never, not once, shown on screen... my obsessive self has put all of it here because it... it just has to be. This needs to be perfect. It has to be 100% indistinguishable from an RC2 suit unless Pawlik himself got his hands on it and said "Hey, wait a minute..."

LBDdbV0.jpg

QQMsSZf.jpg

tF6533L.jpg

Even the collar, hidden beneath that gargantuan helmet, has been fully detailed. This is usually the most of what you can see...

5MAL0mP.jpg

This is what I've done

2ItwRBb.jpg

The midsection is fully detailed as well, from the latch recess on the side, all the way to, yes... I modeled the cord supporting the midsection rings. No, I haven't gotten around to modeling the allen screws that secured them. Yes, I plan on doing that.

PdoSgpz.jpg

astmzIs.jpg

T0FDMsQ.jpg

(And yes, I know I'm missing the recessed detail on the front of the midsection tank)

The geometry, unfortunately, is still not adequate enough to capture all the nuance, and I'll be bumping all of this up when I'm assured I've got the curvature and detail placement as good as I can possibly get it.

6wNQwRY.jpg

j0niVfU.jpg

ph385wM.jpg

iVkfKSL.jpg

And a few anti-aliased renders of this thing!

kgTO8Cj.png

ybViPFJ.png

QQQ46zv.png

tghwSlg.png

In a nutshell, I'm making the most detailed/accurate RC2 GQ RoboSuit model ever in order to create the most detailed/accurate RC2 GQ RoboSuit replica ever!

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Oh wow, I hadn't realized anyone had responded to this! Thank you, all!

I haven't had anything printed yet; it was a tight summer and I'm currently saving up for an unexpected cross country move right now. I don't want to do this halfway, this is my favorite film costume ever, and I want to do it justice when the time comes :)

Just a heads up, peeps, I've picked this project back up! Those final missing surface details are being put in, a handful of parts have been altered to reflect details only recently realized, and the poly count is going through the roof as I smooth everything out for 3D printing.

I planned on having this stage done before the end of the week, but I actually forgot about New Year's... I lost time yesterday due to celebrations (and it looks like I'm losing today thanks to the hangover!) but I hope to have something amazing to update this thread with in the next few days. I'm very proud of where this is going!

Looks incredible, Just about my Favourite suit. Beats Iron Man for me. I look forward to seeing it complete and you getting that awesome blue pearl paint job.

Just a heads up, peeps, I've picked this project back up! Those final missing surface details are being put in, a handful of parts have been altered to reflect details only recently realized, and the poly count is going through the roof as I smooth everything out for 3D printing.

I planned on having this stage done before the end of the week, but I actually forgot about New Year's... I lost time yesterday due to celebrations (and it looks like I'm losing today thanks to the hangover!) but I hope to have something amazing to update this thread with in the next few days. I'm very proud of where this is going!

I'd love to see some pics, and it coming to life ! [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This suit is absolutely perfect, I can't wait to see the finished masterpiece. I remember seeing it on the robocop archive forum. I've always considered a 3d printer but could never justify the cost. Will you be sharing/selling the finished files? If so I would finally have a reason to buy a 3d printer.

Oooh fantastic model! Do you model for a living? Or are you just a modeling savant?

Also, bonus points for the surprisingly accurate and completely unnecessary, but fabulous, lips. :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back