RKO Kong Gas Grenades

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by eaviii, Nov 24, 2005.

1. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Watching the original Kong this PM, noticed the gas bombs . . .

[image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=27455&t=i[/image]
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=27456&t=i[/image]
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=27457&t=i[/image]

and the box for them . . .

[image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=27458&t=i[/image]
    [image]http://www.fotoheap.com/image.php?on=207&an=1851&in=27459&t=i[/image]

Anybody know anything about 'em? It would be cool to have a case lying around the prop room-

Doc

2. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

There was a guy here a buncha years ago who made great ones. Can't remember who it was.

3. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

Here's mine (Cast off of one of the original bombs) -

[​IMG]

DS

4. ed-209

ed-209 Well-Known Member

Here is an ORIGINAL gas grenade from the Forrest J. Ackerman collection
    Ed

5. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Painted turned wood? Looks like it has woodgrain.

6. DARTH SABER

Wow, nice pic Ed209 .

I'm pretty sure that my grenade was cast off of that one. (Has the exact grain and markings as mine)

DS

7. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How about some dimensions? Great vintage props..

8. DARTH SABER

height 7.5"
    diameter 4.5"

DS

9. eaviii

Very cool guys- Thanks- Any recollection to who did them before?

Doc

10. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What a great idea. Time to have one done in aluminum.

Someone send me some dimensions.

Rylo

11. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

There's a great pic of the gas bomb and the case on the making of documentary on the new Kong DVD package.

12. DARTH SABER

You've got PM

DS

13. DARTH SABER

Just letting you guys know that I just watched the new King Kong remake (AWESOME BTW.) and the gas bombs from the original King Kong make an appearance in the film.

I thought that was pretty cool indeed.

DS

14. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So now these are props from TWO Kong films. :D

If somebody wants to clue me to where in the documentary the gas bombs are featured, I can take a couple grabs.

- k

15. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

I know it's a bit off on the curvature, but I felt like playing around and it was an easy one to model from the posted photos:

[​IMG]

DS - if I could get me measurements of the groove width, depth, distance between the circumfrential grooves, the height and diameter of the end caps, and the length of the cylinder before it begins to taper, and I can get this puppy 99% accurate. :D

I could then generate machining drawings and/or hand off the 3D file to anyone who wants to make these in 1:1 scale. My woodworker would be ideal for this replica - here's what he previously made for me:

[​IMG]

- Gabe

16. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If someone could supply Gabe with the measurements it'd be great for everyone. If you do get them done Gabe, can you post the files or email them out?
    I'd like to turn one of these out of wood on my lathe. Wouldn't take that long and it'd be accurate to the original. Question for any of you wood workers out there. How would I go about making the perpendicular lines on it?

17. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

I'd be happy to. My plate is extremely full at the moment, and funds are somewhat overextended to allow me to take on a new prop project right now. I'm confident that there are a good half-dozen members here who'd be able to take this on, if not more. :)

- Gabe

18. DARTH SABER

19. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd like to do at least one for myself.

What are the final dimensions?

20. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

Who owns the original? Was it sold?

-Brandon

21. Kal-L

Kal-L New Member

Some body please take this on.

I'll look locally as well....but I warn you, I have no woodworker on retianer. ;)

22. Hellclaw 01

Hellclaw 01 Well-Known Member

I have done a good amount of woodwork in the past. It would be fairly easy to lathe these. But I am mostly a hobbyist and build for myself, I would not feel comfortable tryin to produce these in quantity for the board.

I would love to make one of these for myself though. I am hoping someone will post measurements here? :)

23. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

BUMP.............. Please I want to build one.

24. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Im intrested in a Gas Bomb...

25. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

I'm waiting for the dimensions from DS, and the CAD update should take no time. In fact, I'll begin tweaking the model to better match the photos and post an updated render sometime tomorrow. After the dimensional corrections, I'll publish a PDF of the drawing for anyone who wants it to take to their local woodworking shop, and if they don't have one nearby, I'd be happy to refer people to my woodworker - he's already agreed to help out. :)

Given that the original was made of wood, both for authenticity sake and ease of replicating, I'd have to say wood is the only way to go.

- Gabe

26. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Can't wait for that.

27. d_osborn

d_osborn Sr Member

harry knowels of ainitcool.com mentioned owning an original gas bomb in a recent KONG article...

28. Grimm Jimm

Grimm Jimm New Member

I'd be interested in one as well. :love

29. Rocketbobs

Rocketbobs Well-Known Member

sign me up.

30. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

That would be sweet. Can wait for the file.

Thanks a ton. I've been watching the 33' movie and the 76' movie this pass weekend man that 76' really was bad when you look back at it. There is a giant seam on the custume where Kong is beating on the wall, I had to look twice.

31. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Ok, homeys... There are still a couple more minor dimensions I need to get from DS to get the 3D model super-accurate, but that's only for the purpose of the blueprint - the tweaks won't be visible in the 3D model:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please keep in mind that it's almost impossible to match real-world perspective and optical distortion using an engineering CAD software's forced perspective feature, so if anything looks "off" it's purely because of that. Here are some plan views:

[​IMG]

As soon as I get the needed info, I'll post the updated blueprint. Just for the hell of it, I'll also ask my woodworker how much it would run to turn one of these out in walnut. :)

- Gabe

32. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be in, depending on price. :D

And what kind of "gas" they were filled with. ;)

It can go next to my NECA "Sin City" grenade. :p

[​IMG]

- k

33. xwing_5

xwing_5 New Member

Now those gas bombs would be nice...

Kinda like a Pineapple Surprise...

34. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

Wow those CAD drwings are really nice can't wait for the finished set ...........

35. DARTH SABER

Trichloride , I believe.

DS

36. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

Who farted? (gas bomb.)

-Bump.

37. BigJoe88

BigJoe88 Well-Known Member

i remeber seeing this in the new kong movie, it was never actually used but in the scene were the chloroform or whatever is first shown you can notice one of the bombs mixed in with the crates.

38. Chairman Kaga

Chairman Kaga Active Member

I am interested in this. Very interested.

39. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Why not oak?

40. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Oak, birch, ash, maple, mahogony, pine - whatever your heart desires, he can turn. :)

Here's a C-size blueprint with 1:1 scale views of the gas bomb based on my 3D-CAD model, and dimensioned in fractional inches, which is what most carpenters work with:

http://propaholics.wolfchasers.com/maian_u...ng_gas_bomb.pdf

Thumbnail so you'll know what to expect:

[​IMG]

While I don't anticipate any changes, I'll let Darth Saber have the final say on the blueprint's accuracy, since he provided me the dimensions. I think he deserves a big hand for helping out with this effort. Take a bow, DS.. :thumbsup :)

For those of you who live in (snicker-snicker) METRIC countries and can't live without millimeters, I can redo the blueprint if asked to - I'm just too lazy right now, and the original prop was designed in inches anyway. :p

For the pull pin and ring, here are some standard fasteners available through distributors like McMaster-Carr. These are the closest I could find to match the screen-used prop. They're probably at your local hardware store too, so print out the spec sheets as a reference if you choose not to order online:

[​IMG]

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/PSearch2...cMMainWidth=803

[​IMG]

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage...Nav&ToolsetAct=

I'll let you guys know what my woodworker will charge to turn one of these as soon as I hear back from him.

Enjoy.

- Gabe

41. eaviii

Proprunner and Darth Saber, THANKS GUYS...... Those blueprints are awesome-

Doc

42. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Very nice blue prints.

I must find a woodworker here.

43. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Well, my insanely talented artisan-friend apparently decided that the best way for him to keep warm over the holiday (I'm out in California, he's in North Carolina) was to make 2 gas bomb prototypes. :lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just posted an Interest list and order info thread in the Junkyard:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=101960

Please no PMs - my box is nearly full, thanks. :)

I want to be very clear: I am not making a penny off this project - both the blueprint and access to my skilled woodworker are my Christmas gifts to the RPF. :)

- Gabe

44. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

This is in response to Rylo's post, which I meant to address in the thread that Lonnie just locked:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...pic=102135&st=0

With all due respect, Ry, dropping a screen-used prop in silicone rubber and selling the castings is much simpler than taking accurate measurements, reverse-engineering it, modeling it in CAD, producing a legible and fully-dimensioned blueprint, and turning a block of oak on a lathe. My woodworker is indeed top of the line, but even he had to figure out how to cut the longtitudinal lines to a consistent depth without live tooling on a CNC lathe.

Thank you - I agree with the above statement.

I appreciate the kind words, Ry, and I wish you luck with your project.

Once again, thanks.

It's not a recast unless someone challenges the replica's origins or if permission to make copies was not given. It would be interesting to know what Mr. Ackerman says (scifibiz@aol.com). I haven't made any accusations one way or the other, however it really boils down to common courtesy, not respect for a copyright (which in this case has long lapsed).

No offense taken, Ry. You bring up good points, and it's my pleasure to clarify. "Digital recasting" has been loosely defined here as copying another member's original art work for profit, for instance, the Blade Runner ID Phil once offered, without prior permission. It's a credit to this community that no such relapses have occurred since the beginning of the popular "Free Paper Props" thread, unless outsiders have exploited RPF members' generosity for personal gain. While I would argue that it took me a certain level of skill and expertise to generate the 3D CAD model and resulting 2D blueprint, "digital recasting" is not the case here, but rather the intentional use of my drawing to embellish, enhance, and promote an unrelated product. Had Dstines approached me first, I probably would have given him my blessing, with some fair conditions since, after all, my name appears on it.

Just to give everybody an update, in the past few hours Dstines and I have exchanged heated public and private communications. However his last one - also posted in his auction - reads as follows:

I won't comment on the sincerity of the sentiments, but it's a satisfactory resolution to this dispute and I now consider the matter closed. I even offered Mr. Stines the use of my blueprint in his future auctions under a few fair conditions, and in return I would credit the hero prop which he cast as the primary reference for my replica.

There's definitely room enough in this hobby for the both of us, so long as fair play and good sportsmanship are respected. :)

Peace,

- Gabe

45. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Lookie what I got yesterday. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My woodwoorker sent me the artist proofs - the taper is a bit off near the end caps, which is why he decided not to offer these for sale and sent them to me instead. The light one is pine and the dark one is oak.

- Gabe

46. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Very cool, Gabe....those must've been fun to cut out of Oak.....

47. Kris

Kris Sr Member

* thats nice. Really good work with the blueprints. Now create one with cm . :D

48. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

What have you ever done for me, squirt? :p

Fine, guess I could do it while smoking a pack of Red Apple cigarettes... :D

By the way, here's my woodworker's first paint attempt. He told me he realizes it needs work (filling the voids, toning down the silver, masking the grooves better). What would you guys recommend as far as a suitably dull silver-gray and medium to fill the veins and voids without hiding the grain?

[​IMG]

The original seems to be a bit on the green side, unless you guys thnk it might have been under flourescents when it was shot? It does look like a flash was used. The entire pic looks like it's tinted green... :unsure

Thanks. :)

- Gabe

49. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

For the paint, you have to go back in time (figuratively...) and remember what they had available. This was probably a custom mixed coating of a clear carrier and a metallic powder as pigment. It would never have approached looking like what we get out of a spray can today, either in the degree of the resemblence to metal or to how the paint lays on the material. And they were probably painted with a brush, not a sprayer.

The other problem is the woods used today are all new growth, whereas the woods used back then were pretty much old growth, which is why there is a difference in the grain structure. So, you have to make a compromise. You have to realize their objective in 1933 was to make some gas bomb props that would look as realistic on film as possible, given the budget and the technology of the time. In other words, they may have been made of wood, but that fact is something that was not supposed to be obvious on film; I mean they didn't exactly want the audience to wonder why the bombs were made of wood. So, killing the grain with fillers would be the way to go, to get the look of the props as they are supposed to look on film.

The pin looks to be made from a standard screw-eye, or even a large cotter pin, and a key ring.

As far as color is concerned, there has got to be a close match in automotive paints. My guess is the final color looked like a metallic light gray. I think the greenish look in the photo is due to one of two things-- the color balance is off or the paint has changed color over time. Or the color could be accurate, remember this was a black and white film and the exact color was not all that important.

Scott

50. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member