King Kong 1933 Prop Question

anniv111701

Hi all,

I was hoping somebody might be able to help me with a question about the 1933 Kong gas bombs - specifically, the wording on the outside of Denham's case/crate.

I couldn't get a clear image from the bluray; the best I could find online is an on-set still with Merian C. Cooper & Fay Wray holding the bombs next to the crate.

It's just blurry enough that the wording seems to change each time I look at it. At the moment, my best guess is "Concentration No3 Gas Bombs", but maybe it's "No.3" or "No13" or even some nitrogen-oxygen formula - all I know is my eyes are going to be as big as Kong's if I keep staring at it.

Does anyone know what's actually painted on the box or have a higher resolution image they can take a look at for me - I'd really appreciate the assist!

460C2E2B-5D12-4785-8026-A3FA0C8E7039.jpeg

I enhanced the image, but it still is not clear. I enhanced it with AI technology, one more time and it simplified the shapes too much.
I think it is not a "3" or "13", and more a "G" or a "6". If you compare the "G" in "Gas Bombs", it feels similar. Or, it could be a "6", lol.

The other letter does not feel like an "A" when I compare with the look of the other "A" type. It almost feels more like an "N". So maybe "N-G" could stand for nitrogen gas? I am not sure.

Bomp screenshot.jpg

Thanks, Moviefreak - I really appreciate you taking the time to do that!

Nice job on the enhancement; I agree - with more clarity it really does seem to come down to "N-6" or "N-G" (if the character separating them is even a "-" and not a "~"... ; )

Thanks again for the help - it gives my bloodshot eyes a whole new reason to squint!

Wow!! That is super clear! Thanks DavyVO!

(Is that from your personal collection or are you just that much better at internet searching? I was at it for a good long while!)

Thanks again!

(Is that from your personal collection or are you just that much better at internet searching? I was at it for a good long while!)

*sigh*

Well, (a) if I'd actually absorbed what you'd written instead of just marveling at the picture, I'd have answered my own question, and (b) yes, DavyVO is really just that good at Googling!

*bangs head on keyboard*

Nice picture, Nick Daring - haven't seen this one before!

Question about the one Fay Wray is holding; does anyone know if the different (presumably, or it wouldn't have a pin) bottom is a prototype or variant the propmaster used to fill up the box, or - as I'm guessing - the bottom cap fell off while they were playing with them (I only question this because the obvious fix was to swap it out for one of the gas bombs that was stacked on top of the box...)
1475A48D-07D9-4DCF-9974-A18BFEF8D3CF.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back