Riviting question (Mad Max)...

Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been modding an old Motorcycle jacket to resemble the jacket worn by Mel in the original Mad Max.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach the shoulder armor cups.

Does anyone know what Abbeyshot used on their jackets for the armor, or have a suggestion for a hammered rivit (or alternative) to use?

My shoulder armor looks very similar to the ones used by Abbeyshot. Holes around the outside edge of the cup where it was sewn to the original material. I'd be adding appx. 6 rivits (or so, perhaps more) evenly spaced around the outside.

The shaft of the rivit (heh heh, he said "shaft"...) would have to go through the thick leather of the jacket, and appx. 3/16-1/4" thick without leaving a sharp end on the inside (we all suffer for our art, but real blood takes the fun out somewhat...).

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Russ

If I knew what the piece looked like I could be more help, but the common speed rivets that are usually used to attach leather pieces are available through Tandy or any other local leather/leatherwork store.

If I knew what the piece looked like I could be more help, but the common speed rivets that are usually used to attach leather pieces are available through Tandy or any other local leather/leatherwork store.

Give me a few minutes. I know I have pics someplace...

madmax1.jpg

madmax2.jpg

Russ

Last edited:
Why do you want to rivet it when it looks like it would be easier to just sew it on using the original holes?
Not trying to be a smart a$$.
I'm no seamstress (what with bein' a guy and all), but I find basic sewing to be pretty easy.
I modified a confederate navy hat into a Firefly Alliance flat hat.
Now I'm doing patches!
I'd try it on something that doesn't matter, first.
But you might find it easier, more durable and less damaging than the rivets.

Mike

Why do you want to rivet it when it looks like it would be easier to just sew it on using the original holes?

I think Lordfett's photo answer answered it best. Why? because the originals were. :)

The jacket has already been modified with design aspects removed, a pocket replaced with a fill-in panel, etc. I don't think I could do much more "damage" that I'd worry about. I've had the jacket since 1989 or so, and have always wanted to go "mad max" on it anyway, thus the desire for rivits. :)

Russ

I think Lordfett's photo answer answered it best. Why? because the originals were. :)

The jacket has already been modified with design aspects removed, a pocket replaced with a fill-in panel, etc. I don't think I could do much more "damage" that I'd worry about. I've had the jacket since 1989 or so, and have always wanted to go "mad max" on it anyway, thus the desire for rivits. :)

Russ

I wonder if it is sewn and riveted or just riveted?

Well, good luck with it,
Mike

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back