Rita "Rose" Vrataski (Edge of Tomorrow) Angel of Verdun Sword

ajaxjones

A couple of weeks ago after watching too many one day build videos I fancied having a go at building something myself and had always liked the heli-chopper from Edge of Tomorrow and found this forum. I also found that one of the props was auctioned off and very nicely was shown alongside a rule.
img07.jpg

There were quite a few good pics as well , https://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/44/lot/9879/ and so it was fairly easy to work out some dimensions. I'm also guessing that the grip was based on UK pipe sizes so I've set about re-creating the cross guard, pommel and rain guard(?) in 3D and printing them out.

IMG_3390.JPGIMG_3384.JPGIMG_3385.JPG

img07.jpg

IMG_3390.JPG

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

With the guard , I ended up with quite a few versions, the original looks like it might have had bits brazed on, plus has a couple of square bits poking out. I'd imagine it was a piece of casting they used.
After sanding and priming I also painted them with a small layer of Gesso to hopefully simulate a cast type finish and sanded that back as well. Then painted them in Tamiya Acryllics, XF-16 flat aluminium as a base, with Metalic Grey XF-56, Gun Metal X-10 , Rubber black XF-85, Dark Grey XF-24 and Royal Light Grey XF-80
IMG_3387.JPGIMG_3402.JPGIMG_3403.JPGIMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

The hilt was made from a piece of plastic water pipe and wrapped top and bottom in electrical tape. The mid section in the prop is bare metal so I had to pre-paint that silver and laid down a spray matt black on top.
angel of verdun sword hilt.JPG

angel of verdun sword hilt.JPG

With the pommel I ended up sanding off all the Gesso and just painted it with a silver base and then a sort of black wash on top. With the version 3 one I have now an 8mm nut cutout is in the print so I can use an 8mm threaded rod that passes through the guard. I'm going to use a wooden blade for the first pass , but the 8mm rod would be useful if the blade is made from foamboard or similar.
sword pommel.JPG

sword pommel.JPG

I originally tried to make the main blade holder in one piece, but in the end I made a central part and then printed out the individual bolt heads. I also tried to line their orientation up in a sympathetic way to the original for no other reason than I could.
These were all then painted in the same way , and I used some Orange and Yellow Liquid rust wizard inks
IMG_3389.JPGcad.pngbolt heads.JPG
angel of verdun rain guard and blade mount.JPG

IMG_3389.JPG

cad.png

bolt heads.JPG

angel of verdun rain guard and blade mount.JPG

I'm now at the stage with a piece of wood and sizes taken from the prop auction. The gap in the guard was sized to fit snugly and I'll be sawing, planing and sanding a lot no doubt. I intend to use the plumbing metal tape for the edge.
mimic of angel of verdun sword.JPG
So far this one day build has taken 14 days. I think its like dog years so I reckon I'm on track to have it finished in a couple of months :)

mimic of angel of verdun sword.JPG

I'm also trying to track down the font on the blade, so far I've found a couple that are close, but seem to differ in slight ways depending on how they show the 2 or the 7. If all else fails I'll probably have to make a font based off the prop pics. The label isn't too bad as the main font was fairly easy to find a good approximation. These are the pics showing the fonts from the original

label.pngsword font.png

thanks!
Couldn't resist starting in on the woodwork either. Not going to tackle the shaping yet, might have to build up to that. Measured it out and just went at it with the old jigsaw, planed it a bit smoother and had to test it out for scale.
cutting.JPGplaning.JPGchopping.JPG

cutting.JPG

planing.JPG

chopping.JPG

Dude! Looks really good! I've always wanted to tackle this one. One thing I've never been able to see is the thickness of the sword itself.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back