RIP Vangelis

Just learned the sad news. It says he was in hospital for weeks and died from COVID 19.

My heart is broken. He was one of my idols and inspiration for my own musical projects. Rest in peace, my condolences to his family and friends.

When I first got the Blade Runner soundtrack on CD I used to listen to it over and over again at night. I had insomnia when I was in school and I remember laying awake putting it on repeat at night. I still listen to the soundtrack regularly as well as the multitude of revised music it has inspired over the years from fans.

He also did the soundtrack for "Cosmos". Unforgettable:

especially this.

Yes, I was sad to hear this news yesterday.

While most people seem to think first of Chariots of Fire, to me Vangelis means Carl Sagan's Cosmos. I came to know his work through the several pieces that Kent Gibson so masterfully arranged into the Cosmos soundtrack. And for me "Alpha" will always take me back to the magical days of my mid-teen years and the joy of discovering the Cosmos...

Dan

(The whole Cosmos inspiration thing came full circle for me in 2015: 2015 Sagan Medal)

My favorite music ever is electronic synth music. Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream, were my go to since the 80's. They were the pioneers I love listening to. Since then I listened to more artists and even went into various other genres like ambient music, modern electronic, new age, fusion jazz, ethno and even some dance/trance. But my soul remains with the old generation of artists. Between 1998 and 2002 I even had an electronic show at a local radio station.

Rest in peace Vangelis, your music will remain in our hearts forever. :(

I totally missed this one from last week.
I'll have to listen to the Blade Runner soundtrack again now, its been away anyways.
Music gave an already visual movie such a good and full feeling atmosphere.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back