Limited Run Rey's Quarterstaff [TFA]

So, very bad news on this... There just isn't enough time to print, clean, mold and cast the staff parts in time for the premiere (especially factoring in ongoing projects and increased cure times for cold weather). The only way to get kits into people's hands in time for them to be able to assemble/paint them (first week of December) would be to 3D print each individual order, which would be prohibitively expensive... we're talking $600-$700 per kit, most likely.

Me, I'm an accuracy junkie, and I love my GF, so I'm going to go ahead and bite the bullet and start production on hers. If anyone is crazy enough to still want one in time for the premiere even at that kind of cost, reply or drop us a line and we'll get you an exact quote on a kit shipped to you. I may also attempt to print one of these on my home printer just to see how it turns out, and whenever that's done I'll probably throw it up in the Junkyard if anyone is interested in nabbing that and cleaning it up themselves.

Otherwise, a proper run of resin kits will probably have to wait until late Dec/early next year in order to get the costs down to a more manageable level ($200, hopefully).

Sorry to get everyone so excited! I'll post here again once we have physical pieces so at least people can see what they can expect to be offered in the future.

~JJ

awe, that stinks, but obviously I will still be interested once, you're ready to go forward. Also, I will be waiting on your printed version to show up in the junkyard...wouldn't mind doing the clean up :)

No problem here... I won't need it in time for the premiere so I'm in for one in dec/early next year when you get them going. So put me down for a kit when the run comes out! :)

...Otherwise, a proper run of resin kits will probably have to wait until late Dec/early next year in order to get the costs down to a more manageable level ($200, hopefully).

Sorry to get everyone so excited! I'll post here again once we have physical pieces so at least people can see what they can expect to be offered in the future...
Sounds very reasonable to me.

So I finished printing one of these on our in-home printer, and it actually turned out pretty well! I think we can offer these as cheaper, FDM-printed kits if there are people still interested in getting one before the premiere and don't mind doing the clean-up and finishing themselves. As far as cost we are thinking maybe $150, but I'm open to feedback. We should be able to produce about three of these a week.

4sfjoBu.jpg3tDi5X0.jpg
CLcCKS2.jpgIfMTnhq.jpg
gZJZamM.jpg

Interested in the resin kit! Would you be interested in making the 3D print plans available?

The model and files belong to Germain on the FISD boards, so he'd be the one to talk to about that. I only have permission to print and cast them, not distribute! :)

Just PM us if you are interested in one of the 3D printed ones.

Took a pic of one of the kits before we boxed it, just so everyone knows what they will actually receive!

L1Fe08A.jpg

SLA printed Masters have arrived, and they look immaculate. The photos don't do them justice.

EOtI6k2.jpg

These are with just a simple medium coat of primer followed by a coat of matte black enamel so I could take some quick photos. The pieces have a really nice, slightly-gritty texture to them that emulates the screen-look of the staff pretty well.

iunUW3T.jpg

I think these are going to look incredible once cast. Quick question-- the screen staff is even grittier, with some uneven "crust" in places. Would people want us to add these details before casting (attempting to mimic the screen-used and Celebration staff as closely as possible), or leave them in their current state so such details can be added by the customer?
Some pics as an example:
ReyTFA-702x1024.jpgStar-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-063.jpg

I'm interested in whichever version you decide to mold up! It'd be great to see them offered in an impact resistant material so fins and disks aren't likely to snap off.

I'm interested in whichever version you decide to mold up! It'd be great to see them offered in an impact resistant material so fins and disks aren't likely to snap off.

Could look into casting them from rubber but we'd likely lose a lot of fidelity in the details. Maybe both?

A rubber stunt could be cool too, but I was thinking more of impact-resistant firm urethanes. Think unbreakable combs! I don't mean to derail your offering at all either though - I'm excited for whatever you offer, and I'm pretty sure ours won't often be stress tested :)

Ah, actually, the resin we use for our Episode 7 blasters is pretty impact-resistant, I'll speak to my molder and see if I can find out it's exact title!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back