Rey NN-14 Blaster Definitive Dimensions

Valor

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, are there agreed-upon dimensions you could point me to for Rey's blaster? I have an old 3D printed one that I KNOW is too small. I'm looking to get closer this time. I've searched through the site and found some great replicas. But I didn't find any measurements. Thanks much.

Hey folks, I recently finished up a complete rework of my Rey Blaster based on what I THINK are accurate dimensions and I wanted to share everything incase it's helpful to someone else.

There are not a lot of clear shots of this blaster, and I could find nothing post-film with accurate scale. Any attempts to talk to someone who has gotten a look at the screen-used gun was met with silence or criticism. So, was left search for the best image I could find to help with scale. And boy did I find it. Here's what I used for my "best case" visual, which is from ROS:

scale.jpg

I love this shot because it shows Rey's Graflex lightsaber (which we know the length of) right next to the blaster, at almost the same focal length. This gave me the ability to create a scale off the Graflex and measure the blaster. By my estimate it is a perfect 12" long.I already had enough images of the blaster to understand the geometry and scale.
IMG_7889.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.19.30 PM.png

With my new overall length I began creating the entire blaster in Fusion 360. Well, almost the entire gun. What i was also certain of is that they MUST have used the overall dimension of a mauser grip, which I had some prints of already. Once I started fine-tuning all the geometries I realized how OFF my original blaster had been. From big things like the grips and overall length, to small dimensions that didn't feel right.
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 4.37.27 PM.png

Then the entire blaster was 3D printed on my Prusa MK3. I was not happy with my original v1 paint job either. So I worked to get a really smooth surface. I used Alclad aluminum in an airbrush to get the right finish.

IMG_2758.jpeg

IMG_2749.jpeg

IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2753.jpeg
IMG_2751.jpeg

I am not claiming it's perfect, or that my dimensions are accurate. I'm sure someone knows more than me. But I wanted to share.

Hey folks, I recently finished up a complete rework of my Rey Blaster based on what I THINK are accurate dimensions and I wanted to share everything incase it's helpful to someone else.

There are not a lot of clear shots of this blaster, and I could find nothing post-film with accurate scale. Any attempts to talk to someone who has gotten a look at the screen-used gun was met with silence or criticism. So, was left search for the best image I could find to help with scale. And boy did I find it. Here's what I used for my "best case" visual, which is from ROS:

View attachment 1286729

I love this shot because it shows Rey's Graflex lightsaber (which we know the length of) right next to the blaster, at almost the same focal length. This gave me the ability to create a scale off the Graflex and measure the blaster. By my estimate it is a perfect 12" long.I already had enough images of the blaster to understand the geometry and scale.
View attachment 1286730View attachment 1286736

With my new overall length I began creating the entire blaster in Fusion 360. Well, almost the entire gun. What i was also certain of is that they MUST have used the overall dimension of a mauser grip, which I had some prints of already. Once I started fine-tuning all the geometries I realized how OFF my original blaster had been. From big things like the grips and overall length, to small dimensions that didn't feel right.
View attachment 1286731
Then the entire blaster was 3D printed on my Prusa MK3. I was not happy with my original v1 paint job either. So I worked to get a really smooth surface. I used Alclad aluminum in an airbrush to get the right finish.

View attachment 1286732
View attachment 1286733
View attachment 1286741 View attachment 1286734View attachment 1286742

I am not claiming it's perfect, or that my dimensions are accurate. I'm sure someone knows more than me. But I wanted to share.
Willing to share your CAD on this? I'd love to make one. Also would you recommend getting those mauser grips resin cast or 3D printed?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back