Reviled movies you think will one day be rehabilitated.

Deathproof wasn't excusable and I think time will be even harder on it.

I have never seen a crappy '70s car movie where virtually nothing happens except 60+ minutes of Signature Tarantino Dialogue. That's not imitating those old movies, it's just QT being lazy & indulgent. Those old movies had crappy wooden dialogue more than witty stuff. And even the cheapest ones had a lot more things happening.

That is my biggest complaint about it, at least when people were sat around talking in pulp fiction they had interesting things to say, I can't remember the last time I have been as bored as while watching death proof.

Thank god for planet terror.

As people above have said
Ghosts of Mars and Planet Terror and Southland Tales all future cult classics.
and of course Pandorum

You know the story, a movie gets bad or mediocre reviews, then years later it gains a following, and soon enough everyone thinks it's brilliant. I could name about a thousand examples, but The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Blade Runner both come to mind.

Just for fun, what movie does everyone loathe that you think in twenty years people will view in a different light?

I'm absolutely in my bones convinced that Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 (Director's Cut) is a misunderstood work of art and that horror fans will view it far more generously in time. You already see some glimmerings of generosity toward it now and again, though most people still violently detest it.

Blade runner had a good excuse.
VHS was around, but most of us didn't have it yet, so for a movie to be seen, we either went and saw it, or it didn't get seen at all. How many movies do you see every summer? My family probably went to the movies 3? 4 times a summer at most.

Others released that year:
(that I actually saw)
ET
Star Trek II
The Dark Crystal
Secret of Nymn
Annie
Poltergeist
Officer and a Gentleman (dad was in the Navy..so we saw that one...mom covered our eyes during the adult parts)

Others that came out that same year I didn't see till later:
Conan the barbarian
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Rocky 3
Airplane 2
First Blood
Creepshow
Beastmaster

possibly one of the best if not the best year for Summer blockbusters ever.

Blade Runner never stood a chance.

Similar story I remember with another movie I loved: UHF.

UHF actually got it worse, the same Month it opened theaters were showing:
Batman
Indiana Jones and the last Crusade
Ghostbusters 2
Honey I shrunk the Kids
Weekend at Bernies
Leathal Weapon 2
When harry Met Sally

In hindsight...if you could pick the worst weekend ever to have your big film open that one would probably have made the top 5 behind actual national disasters. Even then...I'd probably rather open alongside a national disaster. In a disaster people might still go to forget their troubles. Opposite that line-up, the entire country could go (and pretty much did) and the only way any of them will end up in a weird Al film is by accident if they got lost on the way to the one they actually bought tickets for.

Speaking of opening alongside national disasters:
My personal addition: Big Trouble. Based on novel by Dave Barry
All star cast: Tim Allen, Rene Russo, Stanley Tucci...actually not gonna list em. pretty much everyone in this movie with any sort of speaking part at all is a big name. Very funny movie and well done.

BUT, one of the major plot points was that both a gun and a nuclear bomb are smuggled onto a plane past virtually non existent airport security (the bad guys get the bomb and gun through, the cop chasing them gets strip searched by airport security). This...in a film that was originally slated to open late September 2001. Had about the same critical reception as a fart in an elevator.

The Keep was a great book with a great Vampire concept; but the movie fell short because they went with a poor effects version of the Vampire (ignoring the concept in the book) and (it looks like) it was slashed to pieces by some suit at the studio who had never read the book (perhaps any book!).

I recently wanted to give it another look but couldn't find it on NetFlix, so I didn't. Maybe I'll look elsewhere.

The Keep was a great book with a great Vampire concept; but the movie fell short because they went with a poor effects version of the Vampire (ignoring the concept in the book) and (it looks like) it was slashed to pieces by some suit at the studio who had never read the book (perhaps any book!).

I recently wanted to give it another look but couldn't find it on NetFlix, so I didn't. Maybe I'll look elsewhere.
It was on there a while back. I watched it a few months ago and I'm 95% sure it was on Netflix.

It's still not there on Netflix. After further checking, I've found that it has never been released on DVD, so I wonder where you saw it recently.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back