Revenge of the Sith stunt lightsabers. one found ! any new information or material?

saberMaN

hello everyone

i started a thread years ago asking if anyone knew about how the bladed stunt lightsabers were made. Weither they were cast resin ,metal, cast metal or a combo of the three. as the years went by i only saw one complete stunt saber that was in the hands of a private collector.... this mace windu stunt complete with blade.
Mace Windu fighting saber & blade from Star Wars Ep III

in the description it says that the carbon fiber rod had a smaller steel rod secured into the bottom inside it simillar to the blade rigging system used in TPM and AOTC but this time they said the steel rod was bonded into the carbon fiber blade not drilled in. and then explained the hilt was made up of 6 parts cast out of resin and set screwed or somehow attached to the bonded steel rod....... okay enough of my babbling :wacko lol. my question is does anyone know anymore about any obi or ani stunts? if some were resin or ANY info on the bladed stunt lightsabers used in ROTS how the resin handled ones were rigged or any more information about this one stunt saber.

Any info at all would be very much appreciated

Re: Revenge of the Sith stunt lightsabers. one found ! any new information or materia

In the extra features on the DVD for RotS, they show a lightsaber hilt mold. The head of the props department opens a mold, revealing the lightsaber negative form inside. He says something about how it makes it easier to make props, since they constantly have to replace them. In the same video, he playfully takes a Wookie rifle away from a prop maker, and breaks it in half. He does this to stress how quickly they turn out new copies. It was clearly some kind of brittle resin.

Re: Revenge of the Sith stunt lightsabers. one found ! any new information or materia

This is a photo of two alleged stunt sabers used for Revenge of the Sith:

Clearly, one is a Palpatine/Sidious hilt and the other is an Obi-Wan Kenobi hilt. If I remember correctly, the blades were inserted into the molds before the resin was poured so that they would be "trapped" within the hilts after the resin cured, providing a better bond and more stability between the blade(s) and the hilt(s). As you can see, the Obi-Wan hilt is greatly simplified in the foregrip/activator/hindgrip section; this was done to make it easier for Ewan McGregor to perform with it. I've also read that McGregor's and Christensen's stunt hilts were smaller in diameter than their "hero/belt hanger" hilts, also to make it easier for them to perform with them.

Well I had a whole bunch of stunt sabres from ep 2&3. All cast from Fox originals. Pretty sure they were all resin cast with a threaded rod through the middle which stuck out about 5 inches from the hilt. The carbon fibre rods were made in New Zealand and shipped to the Jaks guys in Sydney. They were then covered with flouro tape and slotted onto the thread.

i remember seeing on a behind the scenes video the saber tec had casts in his drawer that said were ready to take a blade. they were resin with no steel rod sticking out. so could have they possibly cut the resin hilts up into smaller sections like they did on this mace windu stunt i posted and drilled the cut up sections out and slid the pieces over the steel rod the screwed them? i would think the rod inside the cf blade would weaken the blade more so than having it seated in the hilt

if i can find out how they secured the cf blades to the resin handles i was gonna make some casts form stunts i already have

any ideas guys?

Well I had a whole bunch of stunt sabres from ep 2&3. All cast from Fox originals. Pretty sure they were all resin cast with a threaded rod through the middle which stuck out about 5 inches from the hilt. The carbon fibre rods were made in New Zealand and shipped to the Jaks guys in Sydney. They were then covered with flouro tape and slotted onto the thread.

...Pretty sure they were all resin cast with a threaded rod through the middle which stuck out about 5 inches from the hilt. The carbon fibre rods were made in New Zealand and shipped to the Jaks guys in Sydney. They were then covered with flouro tape and slotted onto the thread.
This sounds more practical (and is probably closer to reality) than what I thought I remembered. With the method you described, when they broke a blade they could simply replace it; with the method I described they'd have to throw the whole thing out and get another one.

Here's some pix. Sorry they are taken from my old computer screen.
The first is an ep1 obi stunt that sold at auction for absolute stoopid cash.i'll try and dig out some more stuff.

D333322A-2D73-4842-96B9-DE5319A8740D-739-000000B111E28DA3_zps7353bf67.jpg

8D2D78E9-626C-4547-84D1-F1251D66EBFA-739-000000B048AD5A1B_zps57750538.jpg

AF8A4631-D72B-4FF5-93DF-7D0A67517FE1-739-000000B04C54AB31_zps475fa34e.jpg

49C63F79-20D2-47F4-ACB6-1F6D968DBBF2-739-000000B08B69B8C8_zps73710ba9.jpg

Here you can see the carbon fibre of the blade on the windu.

2D933FF8-FE09-45D3-84A9-8F5F6C2F650A-739-000000B105CFF91E_zpsaf766264.jpg

3122E0A9-E9A6-4E49-B3F3-F024FCBE33FD-739-000000B10A9A1576_zps300abedf.jpg

Clearly, one is a Palpatine/Sidious hilt and the other is an Obi-Wan Kenobi hilt.

I think these are the same ones we had while doing all the Episode 3 promo work. Have a look at the tie in commercials from that time frame (Orange, Cingular, M&M's, Burger King)...

The episode 1 and 2 stunts were resin with a rod out of them and an aluminium tube placed over top and set screwed on.

Episode 3 they were carbon fibre blades that were inserted into metal and metal/resin hilts an set screwed through the hilt itself in 2-3 places.

They completely changed how they did things for the final film for durability sakes, including Ewan MacGregor's penchant of bending the aluminium in half.

The stunt sabers in Episode 3 were also tweaked and changed for better flexibility for choreography.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any more pics you could post? Are those dooku and windu stunts from ep 2 or 3? Are those all cf blades?

All CF blades. All cast from original. Including the rubber grips. I have to pull out my old external drive. I have a ton more pix somewhere. I also have the contact details of the company in New Zealand who made the blades. Last time I spoke with them they could do the blades for $20.00 each for an order of 10 or more. Exactly the same as the film ones.

how were the blades attached on those particular replica stunts jedimaster???

All CF blades. All cast from original. Including the rubber grips. I have to pull out my old external drive. I have a ton more pix somewhere. I also have the contact details of the company in New Zealand who made the blades. Last time I spoke with them they could do the blades for $20.00 each for an order of 10 or more. Exactly the same as the film ones.

thanks for the info guys

does anyone have more or new photos or information?
there was some old photos of some saber pieces on a table but i cant find it anywhere

This is a photo of two alleged stunt sabers used for Revenge of the Sith:

[url]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/Zombie_61/Miscellaneous/Obi-Wan_stunt_saber.jpg[/URL]

Clearly, one is a Palpatine/Sidious hilt and the other is an Obi-Wan Kenobi hilt. If I remember correctly, the blades were inserted into the molds before the resin was poured so that they would be "trapped" within the hilts after the resin cured, providing a better bond and more stability between the blade(s) and the hilt(s). As you can see, the Obi-Wan hilt is greatly simplified in the foregrip/activator/hindgrip section; this was done to make it easier for Ewan McGregor to perform with it. I've also read that McGregor's and Christensen's stunt hilts were smaller in diameter than their "hero/belt hanger" hilts, also to make it easier for them to perform with them.

Also thought to mention, this is my photo cropped from photos given to me by Nick Gillard regarding some similar questions. If you look closely you can see the set screws on the Obi holding the CF blade in.

thanks for the info guys

does anyone have more or new photos or information?
there was some old photos of some saber pieces on a table but i cant find it anywhere

This one?FIL3004.JPG

...this is my photo cropped from photos given to me by Nick Gillard...
I hope you don't mind me posting it--I only remembered that I had it, not where I'd gotten it from or how.

Ok so what weve seen and know so far there were stunts that were metal, resin, and metal/resin combo. i read somewhere recently that some were resin cast around a hollow metal tube the blades slotted into almost all the way into the hilt. Then the blades were set screwed.

i recently did a google search on ep3 stunt sabers and saw a photo of Hayden rehearsing with Kyle Rowling (dooku double i believe?) and haydens using a unpainted stunt showing the grips which looked like all one cast part minus the bunny ears. heres the photo link http://haydenfannews.com/hcfn_starwars/hcfn-rots-bts-stills-044-1024.jpg

This to me looks all resin with maybe i metal tube through the hilt for blade......you can also just barely make out a set screw just above the clamp section

keeping in mind my eyesight is bad..Do you guys think this look like a resin or a rough metal stunt

I hope you don't mind me posting it--I only remembered that I had it, not where I'd gotten it from or how.

Its not a problem, I was more or less commenting to any concern that they were not screen used since you said alleged :)

As for the Ep3 stunts, they likely did a number of tests, but I have seen metal Anakin dueling sabres. I realise they could be chromed, but Obi-Wan's definitely was metal so why they would completely do them differently, I don't know.

anakin-stunt-lightsaber-replica-cap171.jpganakin-stunt-lightsaber-replica-sabers.jpganakin3.jpg

I'm LOVING this thread, making a stunt saber like this has been on my mid for awhile. I agree; from what I know, Episode 3 was done differently - blades went into the handle (a threaded tube, or regular smooth tube with set screws was cast into the handle), while Episodes 2 and 1 the handles had threaded rods sticking out of them.

As for the episode 3s I believe they had metal and resin/chromed pieces on hand. It's hard to tell. I think at least the bunny ears were resin. Anyone else remember and notice the groove in the forward grip of anakin's saber? Hayden's hands were too small, so the recessed area made it easier for him to spin the saber :D

It had nothing to do with his hands, you get greater control with a pivot point to grasp. I've duelled with the MR Anakin FX and its bulky. They simply opted for a better grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back