Retro New VHS covers and the importance of good poster art

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If this have been discussed please delete.

The retro VHS covers of modern movies trend is pretty cool, especially since they nail it!!

But it also proves just how important poster/cover art is. Though 80's style art had it's place and time (in the 80's), applying that style to new movies completely knock the air out of them.

I Created VHS Versions Of The Most Popular TV Shows And Movies _ Bored Panda.jpeg.jpg

bc2a6cfecc21e39b45d48b200838f45c.jpg

8d77bf201fd955e309504b93580cf1bb.jpg

3fe53db4364cde2d3d21ef1459df3504.jpg

83xkmic4b2341.jpg

1dd45339fb8ea443b7d539371372a616.jpg

Dv7hvhcUUAAOJur.jpg

the_force_awakens_worn_vhs_style_dvd_cover_by_stephenreams_dd2x31n-pre.jpg

yxEMeKlZCNCoJUu8uN5tRwe4ysbWcpRNERgImBrp_m4.jpg

dcjcrei-71ab4289-511e-4bea-b6d6-ece23090eff5.png

ldnhsq7ncw721.jpg

vij3449nvd5z.png

yg8jmtw0p3821.jpg

Last edited:
Cool stuff; very authentic and it certainly beats the digital cover experience…

D35C5511-7A44-4BF4-9CD1-5A7FA5DB592E.jpeg

But, I believe that the Last Jedi case contains an error.

I don’t recall Mark Hamill playing a character called “Luke Skywalker” in that movie. I believe the name of the character was “Jeremiah”…“Jacob”…or maybe it was “Steve Skywalker”?

Someone, please correct me if I’m wrong.

4E018E18-ED7C-45AC-BC7C-A3904E013E17.jpeg

35546EE0-1C17-42A0-9139-499C4BC72E42.jpeg

Last edited:
Just based on the artwork alone, yes they are a pleasant departure from the tired, lazy, and often ugly composition of digital art that has plagued physical media for the last decade or more. As for the films or shows themselves? Only Guardians of the Galaxy was worth the watch and even then it wasn't anything special either. The rest belong in the trash.

Cool stuff; very authentic and it certainly beats the digital cover experience…

View attachment 1657249

But, I believe that the Last Jedi case contains an error.

I don’t recall Mark Hamill playing a character called “Luke Skywalker” in that movie. I believe the name of the character was “Jeremiah”…“Jacob”…or maybe it was “Steve Skywalker”?

Someone, please correct me if I’m wrong.

View attachment 1657246

View attachment 1657387
Isn't this the guy who plays the part of Yoga instructor? The same nutjob that tried to kill one of his students for mumbling during naptime?

To be fair back in the early 1980’s a video rental lived or died on its artwork. Now this may offend.. it may not but The Beast Master with Mark Singer had a cracking poster. Shame as the movie wasn't so.. I'd never seen National Lampoon's Vacation the poster was also Amazing artwork and the film was too.. Well it was back then.

To be fair back in the early 1980’s a video rental lived or died on its artwork. Now this may offend.. it may not but The Beast Master with Mark Singer had a cracking poster. Shame as the movie wasn't so.. I'd never seen National Lampoon's Vacation the poster was also Amazing artwork and the film was too.. Well it was back then.

On that note, I love Outlaw Josey Wales art, posters, imagery, etc; yet I absolutely cannot watch that movie. I dislike everything about it when I have turned it on.

On that note, I love Outlaw Josey Wales art, posters, imagery, etc; yet I absolutely cannot watch that movie. I dislike everything about it when I have turned it on.
It is a Real shame we don't get Awesome posters anymore..
These days if you have your movies on a SSD/HDD and link it to Kodi or such like you can find very nice Fan Art posters that put the original to shame.
I particularly like The Fog which features all those dead sailors..
The movie still creeps me out and Adrean Barbeau as the DJ really carries the movie..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back