Rest In Peace Gary Rossington, The Last Founding Member of Lynyrd Skynyrd

Dang it... Kind of torn about the current band playing under that name any more.

RIP sir
An unfortunate fact of the music industry is that bands are now corporations, they exist independently of the members.

I remember once back in the day when I was still working in theater, I was hired to do sound for a show that included the Coasters, Platters, and Drifters. Being a lifelong fan I was excited to talk to them and at dinner I was sitting with one of the groups (I think it was the drifters, this was a few years ago). I knew most of them looked way to young to be the guys who recorded Under the Boardwalk, and during the course of the conversation I was told that the oldest member actually sang with the original members...but that the original members have all been gone for years.

edit: looked it up to make sure I wasn't remember the wrong..according to wikipedia there have been around SIXTY different members of the band.

So if you go see them you're not seeing the guys who sang the singles you're familiar with. You're seeing the company that owns it and their most recent employees (although admittedly, still great singers...you won't get bad show, you just likely won't get the show you probably thought you were seeing).

An unfortunate fact of the music industry is that bands are now corporations, they exist independently of the members.

I remember once back in the day when I was still working in theater, I was hired to do sound for a show that included the Coasters, Platters, and Drifters. Being a lifelong fan I was excited to talk to them and at dinner I was sitting with one of the groups (I think it was the drifters, this was a few years ago). I knew most of them looked way to young to be the guys who recorded Under the Boardwalk, and during the course of the conversation I was told that the oldest member actually sang with the original members...but that the original members have all been gone for years.

edit: looked it up to make sure I wasn't remember the wrong..according to wikipedia there have been around SIXTY different members of the band.

So if you go see them you're not seeing the guys who sang the singles you're familiar with. You're seeing the company that owns it and their most recent employees (although admittedly, still great singers...you won't get bad show, you just likely won't get the show you probably thought you were seeing).
All true.

If it weren't for Johnny being Ronnie's brother, I don't think they'd have lasted this long. Honestly, when Billy died a few years ago, I thought that would probably be it.

In relation to what you were saying, there were 5 original members. At their height, there were 10 official members, including the backing vocalists. As of today, there have been 28 touring members.

Yeah, Gary was the last connection to the very beginning of the band. Amazing that he's been with them still, considering every other musical act that's come and gone in that time. I was about to say they're officially a cover band now but Ricky Medlocke played on their first recording session (Skynyrd's First...and Last) and I believe a little on Street Surviors.
All true.

If it weren't for Johnny being Ronnie's brother, I don't think they'd have lasted this long.
Totally. Him being his bro and looking and sounding (mostly) like him helped it become acceptable. I don't think anyone else could have filled Ronnie's shoes (Even though he didn't wear them a lot of the time himself :)).

I wonder how it would've been with Donnie leading the band? His voice had more of a top 40 rock sound to it as opposed to Ronnie's grittier vocals.
All true.

If it weren't for Johnny being Ronnie's brother, I don't think they'd have lasted this long. Honestly, when Billy died a few years ago, I thought that would probably be it.
It feels like it was a few years ago but it was 2009!!!o_O.

I think the music industry needed some kind of policy on this a long time ago. Like "bands are expected to change their name if they have less than 25% of the original members."

A legal requirement would probably be impractical (look at the lineup change complications when they are inducting bands into the R&R hall of fame). But even just a common specific precendent about name changes would help. If the public expected it by default then most bands would comply.

It will probably be less important in the future though because of the decline of super-groups. There are occasional huge artists like Lady Gaga but those are individual celebrities (and even their power is in decline). We don't see many whole bands that huge anymore. It's like the decline in giant movie stars.

Last edited:
But that is because the industry has changed so massively.

You used to have to court a record company to record and promote your music. You were a gamble. Recording studio time ain't cheap. A producer. Drugs. Pay-for-play with DJs... They owned what you created because it cost so much to bring you to market.

Some folks hated it, but the record companies were investibgnin you and your band.

It was the price of getting a record contract.

They will keep ringers touring for as long as it yields profit.

Nowadays, I can go I to the forest with a battery powered, digital recorder, mix and release my latest work by myself. You are better off recording under your own name!

Ron and the Proppers. "Ain't Nuthin' Propper 'bout Us."

Tracks include: Florida Man, Resin High, Pinkeys Not Extended,

"Being in a band is like being in a dogsled team, if you aren't the lead dog, the scenery never changes."

LOok at the shenanigans happening with Journey. Some former superbands have said touring isnt profitable anymore.

While I might still enjoy an 11 minute version of Freebird, I don't think the younger crowd would (unless they play gueetar)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back