Resizing Ring question

howlingwind13

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay so I bought 3 of the MR Jack Sparrow rings for the costume I'm putting together.
Only one of the 3 fits (the button ring) The dragon and Stolen I can get on my thumb and finger but man is it tight. And my finger and thumb will probably turn black and fall off.

So is it safe to cut the band to spread it a bit? Or is there another way? Maybe grinding out the opening would work for the stolen ring...but the thumb ring it would not.

Cut the band off completely and try to fab it up?
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mike

Depending on the material of the rings, you may be able to re-size them the traditional way, but putting them on a sizing madrel and tapping them with a mallet. If they're plated cast metal, you probably don't want to do that, because it will crack the plating. I'm sure you could cut them, but again, depending on the material, that may mess up the ring.

but putting them on a sizing madrel and tapping them with a mallet
Depending on the material, if it works without cracking the metal, it might get you about a 1/4 size larger and that's only best if the ring is not work hardened already. I don't own any of the MR rings but I'm sure it's some type of base metal.

You could always do what the stunt guy did for the skull ring from the first film, cut the bottom and tape it up with a band aid lol

- Jeff

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back