Resin copy of a watch?

CharlesHouse

I am looking to build a prop on a watch, no internal parts, then copy it in resin (so the glass, hands, etc don't matter). I want to attach it with nylon straps around the band posts, and I am wonder, if I make a mold of it and copy it in resin, how easily will a small piece of resin in that shape break? Is there a way I can make it stronger in that area, maybe a tiny wire shape?

Do you mean the entire watch strength or are you just worried about the supports for the nylon band? You can get around that by just using a real watch's post/pins instead of molding them. In the body of the watch just drill the small pilot holes so you can install a real metal pin that the nylon band can get secured to. People have been doing it that way on resin seiko pulsemeters for years.

Do you mean the entire watch strength or are you just worried about the supports for the nylon band? You can get around that by just using a real watch's post/pins instead of molding them. In the body of the watch just drill the small pilot holes so you can install a real metal pin that the nylon band can get secured to. People have been doing it that way on resin seiko pulsemeters for years.

Sounds doable. The support parts that hold the posts will be strong enough?

Sounds doable. The support parts that hold the posts will be strong enough?

Without seeing the watch you will be using, it is hard to say. The support parts in the Seiko I referenced are pretty robust and near one with the body, so my resin replica of it has never failed. I guess it depends how sturdy the bracket section that holds the pin is. Got a pic?

I bought several different watches, but all are similar.

HTB1Pil9HXXXXXaPXVXXq6xXFXXXD.jpg

ooh yeah that could be tough. If you could lay strip of metal into those supports within the mold and pour the resin around it, it would help a lot I am sure. Those posts are much skinnier than I was hoping. You will def need to reinforce it somehow.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back