Replica Hoth(ish) goggles WIP

3DImpact

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Once I had my tauntaun hanging on my wall I decided I needed a nice Hoth trooper hat and googles to display as well. Of course, we all know how near impossible it is to find an actual pair of vintage Swans ski goggles so I decided I'd have to settle for the best match I could find and then adapt them to match the on-screen look as best I could. That turned into a whole project on its own. As a reminder, here is some reference for the actual Swans goggles:

25054495_3.jpg
goggles_screencap_crop.jpg

I rather rapidly found an acceptable match in overall shape and features but with the major exception that the visor plastic itself was far too deep a yellow color. I'd have to make a new visor with a more proper tint.

ToA_goggles_small.jpg

The color grading in ESB is notoriously variable and confusing but averaging from shot to shot and looking at other photo reference of actual Swans I decided to aim for an olive tint, not too saturated. But first, I had to vac form the new visor itself. The first step to that was to make a buck from the actual visor from the goggles. I thought through the process a bit and decided that I needed to vac the new acrylic down to a buck made across the inner surface of the original visor, so that the thickness and curvature of the new visor would match. I built a clay 'dam' around the original visor and made a plaster buck from that.

5D3_5502_small.jpg
5D3_5504_small.jpg
5D3_5509_small.jpg

The vac forming itself took a bit of trial and error to find the right combo of acrylic thickness and heat time, but with my friend Jim Arthurs' help we made some beautiful copies.

5D3_8188_small.jpg
5D3_8191_small.jpg

Here's some video of the vac forming process:

The next step was dyeing the newly minted visors to the right olive tint. I used a mix of yellow and green and brown iDye Poly. Once dyed to the proper tint I cut and trimmed the new visors to match the original.

5D3_8192_small.jpg
5D3_8198_small.jpg
5D3_8201_small.jpg
5D3_8203_small.jpg

Then some 3D-modeled and laser-cut pieces to add onto the vintage goggles in order to match the foam vents and strap holders on the Swans as best I could:

5D3_8347_small.jpg
5D3_8349_small.jpg
5D3_8350_small.jpg

Once all assembled I have a pair of goggles that I think will be 'good enough' when finally displayed with my Hoth trooper hat.

5D3_8345_small.jpg
5D3_8354_small.jpg
5D3_9042_small.jpg
5D3_9043_small.jpg
5D3_9046_small.jpg

Hopefully, someday someone will be able to make a good copy from an actual vintage Swans - I'm sure that's a production run a lot of us would support...

Dan

Last edited:
Thanks! It's still WIP and there are some things to fix and adjust but once I get this onto the Hoth trooper hat and apply the snow effects I think it'll make a fine enough display piece. This was a case, though, I think, where the journey was more important/fun than the destination...

Dan

I only know of a few real goggles in the hands of this community..a blue set owned by Chris T. and a white set in my posession

Indy Magnoli was playing with the idea to do a run!

I think we should all encourage Indy Magnoli to do this project, I have suggested it to them, not knowing just how many people want these goggles. It's kind of a must...

Love these. I wish I had just an ounce of the skills you have. I can barely glue stuff together let alone vac form!

Once I had my tauntaun hanging on my wall I decided I needed a nice Hoth trooper hat and googles to display as well. Of course, we all know how near impossible it is to find an actual pair of vintage Swans ski goggles so I decided I'd have to settle for the best match I could find and then adapt them to match the on-screen look as best I could. That turned into a whole project on its own. As a reminder, here is some reference for the actual Swans goggles:

View attachment 989084 View attachment 989085

I rather rapidly found an acceptable match in overall shape and features but with the major exception that the visor plastic itself was far too deep a yellow color. I'd have to make a new visor with a more proper tint.

View attachment 989103

The color grading in ESB is notoriously variable and confusing but averaging from shot to shot and looking at other photo reference of actual Swans I decided to aim for an olive tint, not too saturated. But first, I had to vac form the new visor itself. The first step to that was to make a buck from the actual visor from the goggles. I thought through the process a bit and decided that I needed to vac the new acrylic down to a buck made across the inner surface of the original visor, so that the thickness and curvature of the new visor would match. I built a clay 'dam' around the original visor and made a plaster buck from that.

View attachment 989086 View attachment 989087 View attachment 989088

The vac forming itself took a bit of trial and error to find the right combo of acrylic thickness and heat time, but with my friend Jim Arthurs' help we made some beautiful copies.

View attachment 989089 View attachment 989090

The next step was dyeing the newly minted visors to the right olive tint. I used a mix of yellow and green and brown iDye Poly. Once dyed to the proper tint I cut and trimmed the new visors to match the original.

View attachment 989091 View attachment 989092 View attachment 989093 View attachment 989094

Then some 3D-modeled and laser-cut pieces to add onto the vintage goggles in order to match the foam vents and strap holders on the Swans as best I could:

View attachment 989095 View attachment 989096 View attachment 989097

Once all assembled I have a pair of goggles that I think will be 'good enough' when finally displayed with my Hoth trooper hat.

View attachment 989098 View attachment 989099 View attachment 989100 View attachment 989101 View attachment 989102

Hopefully, someday someone will be able to make a good copy from an actual vintage Swans - I'm sure that's a production run a lot of us would support...

Dan
Hey 3Dimpact,
I just got these on etsy. I was wondering if you had any extra molds of the round vents and the blue and red top pieces? You did an amazing job on yours. I can't tell if lukes goggles say Swans on the top or not.
20200906_011754.jpg

Last edited:
Great attention to detail.

I haz an original blue pair painted white and a black set unpainted. Both for sale.

I've had a few people ask offline if I could share my 3D model for the blue vent pieces. I have a few items up on Shapeways but this particular item always gave me pause since I designed and scaled them to fit the exact set of googles that I had. And I've only ever seen one pair of those particular vintage goggles so I don't think a set-scale model up on Shapeways would be particularly useful for folks. So, in the spirit of sharing here in our RPF family I've just put the .stl file online for you to download here:

Hoth(ish) goggles blue vent bits

'Buyer' beware: you will likely have to scale and possibly reshape these a bit to fit your particular found googles. I don't claim these to be screen-accurate to scale for the actual vintage goggles, I simply made them to look the part on the one-off set of vintage goggles I had happened to find at the time.

Have fun and share how yours turn out...

Dan

I've had a few people ask offline if I could share my 3D model for the blue vent pieces. I have a few items up on Shapeways but this particular item always gave me pause since I designed and scaled them to fit the exact set of googles that I had. And I've only ever seen one pair of those particular vintage goggles so I don't think a set-scale model up on Shapeways would be particularly useful for folks. So, in the spirit of sharing here in our RPF family I've just put the .stl file online for you to download here:

Hoth(ish) goggles blue vent bits

'Buyer' beware: you will likely have to scale and possibly reshape these a bit to fit your particular found googles. I don't claim these to be screen-accurate to scale for the actual vintage goggles, I simply made them to look the part on the one-off set of vintage goggles I had happened to find at the time.

Have fun and share how yours turn out...

Dan
That makes perfect sense. I appreciate you getting back to me. Would you happen to know what the original part is by chance?

That makes perfect sense. I appreciate you getting back to me. Would you happen to know what the original part is by chance?

Oh, those blue vent pieces with the dark red foam are actually an integral part of the original vintage Swans ski goggles design. They are not an 'add-on' greeblie in other words, part of the actual goggles. The topmost image in this thread is an image of those vintage goggles for reference.

Dan

Oh, those blue vent pieces with the dark red foam are actually an integral part of the original vintage Swans ski goggles design. They are not an 'add-on' greeblie in other words, part of the actual goggles. The topmost image in this thread is an image of those vintage goggles for reference.

Dan
The swans goggles I just got are the closest I have found. They say swans on the top. Thanks for letting me know about the parts. I love the rpf. Did you make the plain white strap or did it come with the goggles?

Did you make the plain white strap or did it come with the goggles?

I made the strap from a piece of elastic band that I either purchased at the local craft store or online (I can't remember now). I picked it to have the same apparent width and look as the original Swans from the reference photo.

Dan

View attachment 989084 View attachment 989085

View attachment 989103

View attachment 989086 View attachment 989087 View attachment 989088

View attachment 989089 View attachment 989090

View attachment 989091 View attachment 989092 View attachment 989093 View attachment 989094

View attachment 989095 View attachment 989096 View attachment 989097

View attachment 989098 View attachment 989099 View attachment 989100 View attachment 989101 View attachment 989102

Dan
What foam did you use for the padding? I have a later model swans that is very similar but has black padding. I want to replace it with the tan or yellow type stuff.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back