Removing paint from plastic and resin...

7-11 Jedi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Howdy all, I have a prop made of plastic and resin and I want to repaint it. The original paint laid on too thick and I'm not happy with it. The paint is still pretty green. What would be the easiest way to remove it? I thought about soaking it in mineral spirits, but I'm afraid that would damage the plastic or resin. I just don't know enough about it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Mike

depends what kind of paint.. try enamel thinner rubbing it lightly on and then wiping.
or you could try sanding it off.
Also lighter fluid is another option.

try everything but whatever you try, TEST IT ON A SMALL SPOT FIRST

Regular Pine Sol works great as well. You have to leave it in for a few hours and then most of teh paint will separate from the plastic. You will still need to sand some residule paint off though.

For some reason you are only supposed to use original Pine sol and not any other scent.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Trallis@Jan 8 2006, 01:30 AM
depends what kind of paint.. try enamel thinner rubbing it lightly on and then wiping.
or you could try sanding it off.
Also lighter fluid is another option.

try everything but whatever you try, TEST IT ON A SMALL SPOT FIRST
[snapback]1153707[/snapback]​

Thanks for the tips guys. Actually, I doused it in thinner, and then wiped it, and the heavy layer of paint wiped away in most places showing through the first layer of black and then the layer of metal color under that i put first and now it looks wonderfully weathered. By accident, I made it better. Pine sol, huh? I may have to try that next time, sounds like it could work.

Cheers.

Mike

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back