Remembering Good Times at the Cinema

The Ultimate Theater creation.

botscopy.jpg

The time I took 2 old brooms, set them on fire and ran around in circles and posted the gif on my coworkers myspace pages.
firebrooms.gif

Concessions have always been expensive, and I grew up in a family where that part of the experience just wasn't done for that reason. We went to see the movie and that's what we did. Every once in a while we'd stop at a convenience store on the way for candy to smuggle, but basically I grew up not feeling munchies is a requirement. So I always chuckle a little when people say they don't go to theaters because of expensive food. You don't have to buy food to see the movie!! :lol:
Okay, I'm clearly in the minority here.
Are theater consessions expensive? Hell yes! The prices are down right obscene, especially if you know what it costs them to produce! Literally pennies on the dollar!
...and I will pay their prices all day long, and I never complain when there is a price hike. Whenever the family and I go out, I splurge. Large popcorn? Check! Large soda? Get two! Nachos? Why not? Hot dogs? Of course? Are you guys sure you dont want anything else?
All in for the three of us, about a hundred bucks. Glad to do it.
Let me explain.
First, we only do this about once a month. We just chalk it up as a "fine dining experience" (at least thats how it makes it into our budget!)
It really does complete the entire experience for us. Hell, it often makes a bad movie seem not so bad!

But consider this: Theaters make VERY little money from the films. Without the consessions they wouldn't be able to keep their doors open. I know this right from the get-go, and personally, I LIKE going to the movies. I don't want the experience to go away. But that is what would happen if everyone stopped buying consessions. Now I'm certainly not wealthy by anyone's standards, but going to see a film at the theater with the family is a monthly experience for us. Keep in mind, I fault no one for not wanting to pay those prices. They charge $12-$15.00 for a large bucket of popcorn alone, and know their cost isn't even a dollar (that includes the damn bucket!) really stings. Personally, I budget for the event and suck it up and enjoy the ride!

Now it's not entirely the loaves and the fishes. They actually found a way to make an insane amount of money because of Covid. Look it up. The numbers dont lie. The reason is simple. Remember the incentive to get a large soda and a large popcorn? FREE REFILLS! No more...ANYWHERE! They are using Covid as an excuse to no longer give free refills, thus saving a buttload of cash. After all, what employee wants to touch your greasy slathered, Covid ridden bucket and cup, refill them and give them back?! It's a perfectly valid point, so they have a built in excuse to save a TON of money. You want to complain about it as I have? Go ahead. This is how it will go, word for word (I know this as I have had this exact same conversation many, many times with management):

"Why are there no more free refills?!"
"Hey, Mr. Customer. We're doing this to keep YOU safe."
"But...I'm paying the same price that I did two years ago...and I least I could justify it by getting free refills. You could a least reduce the price."
"Oh, so sorry Mr. Consumer, but we can't due to low headcount because of Covid and we have to make up the difference."
"Cant you just give me a new bucket?"
"Yeah, no, you see that's the biggest cost, then we would just be bleeding money. It would actually cost MORE than it did before."
"So...you're getting rich, and I'm getting screwed because of the pandemic?"
"You're missing your movie."

Okay, I'm clearly in the minority here.
Are theater consessions expensive? Hell yes! The prices are down right obscene, especially if you know what it costs them to produce! Literally pennies on the dollar!
...and I will pay their prices all day long, and I never complain when there is a price hike. Whenever the family and I go out, I splurge. Large popcorn? Check! Large soda? Get two! Nachos? Why not? Hot dogs? Of course? Are you guys sure you dont want anything else?
All in for the three of us, about a hundred bucks. Glad to do it.
Let me explain.
First, we only do this about once a month. We just chalk it up as a "fine dining experience" (at least thats how it makes it into our budget!)
It really does complete the entire experience for us. Hell, it often makes a bad movie seem not so bad!

But consider this: Theaters make VERY little money from the films. Without the consessions they wouldn't be able to keep their doors open. I know this right from the get-go, and personally, I LIKE going to the movies. I don't want the experience to go away. But that is what would happen if everyone stopped buying consessions. Now I'm certainly not wealthy by anyone's standards, but going to see a film at the theater with the family is a monthly experience for us. Keep in mind, I fault no one for not wanting to pay those prices. They charge $12-$15.00 for a large bucket of popcorn alone, and know their cost isn't even a dollar (that includes the damn bucket!) really stings. Personally, I budget for the event and suck it up and enjoy the ride!

Now it's not entirely the loaves and the fishes. They actually found a way to make an insane amount of money because of Covid. Look it up. The numbers dont lie. The reason is simple. Remember the incentive to get a large soda and a large popcorn? FREE REFILLS! No more...ANYWHERE! They are using Covid as an excuse to no longer give free refills, thus saving a buttload of cash. After all, what employee wants to touch your greasy slathered, Covid ridden bucket and cup, refill them and give them back?! It's a perfectly valid point, so they have a built in excuse to save a TON of money. You want to complain about it as I have? Go ahead. This is how it will go, word for word (I know this as I have had this exact same conversation many, many times with management):

"Why are there no more free refills?!"
"Hey, Mr. Customer. We're doing this to keep YOU safe."
"But...I'm paying the same price that I did two years ago...and I least I could justify it by getting free refills. You could a least reduce the price."
"Oh, so sorry Mr. Consumer, but we can't due to low headcount because of Covid and we have to make up the difference."
"Cant you just give me a new bucket?"
"Yeah, no, you see that's the biggest cost, then we would just be bleeding money. It would actually cost MORE than it did before."
"So...you're getting rich, and I'm getting screwed because of the pandemic?"
"You're missing your movie."
I agree with everything you wrote there funky, for me the food is part of the experience. I completely understand why there's no refills anymore, for health and economic reasons.
When I lived in the Midwest it was 40 miles one way to the closest theater (10 miles to the video store) so going to the movie was a rare occasion, once a year tops (except Kick -Ash 2).
We moved in 2016 and started taking advantage of our opportunity to see movies in "fancy" theaters now. I don't mind the $100 for a family of three to have a night out together but even before covid I noticed a problem, ....movies just didn't seem to be that good.
The three 2019 films I saw in theaters were, Dark Phoenix, It chapter 2 and Glass. None of them worth the admission, let alone the price of concessions!
Since I replaced our TV with a screen and projector I really don't have much incentive to go to the theater anymore, that $100 pays for bowling night now. :cool: (y)

Found another one. I also found that 8th Star Wars Ep. II ticket not too long ago, but had already added it in the mix.
I'll probablt find more as time goes go.
Those pesky tickets stick between everything.

20220604_214300.jpg

Man I've been sitting here trying to remember the last movie I saw at the theater. I can't. Old age combined with " it probably sucked " . I've always had a love/hate relationship, with movies at the theater. I always seem to get the Yahoo kicking my seat or playing on their phone behind me. The closest times, I ever came to a physical fight, have been in the theater. I would always try to go to a matinee and pray no one would sit behind me. Too stressful. I enjoy movies at home now much more. And if my heart strings are tweaked, I can cry like a baby. And no possiblity of jail time, for beating some discourteous hee haw, into a gelatinous mass, ; )

Man I've been sitting here trying to remember the last movie I saw at the theater. I can't. Old age combined with " it probably sucked " . I've always had a love/hate relationship, with movies at the theater. I always seem to get the Yahoo kicking my seat or playing on their phone behind me. The closest times, I ever came to a physical fight, have been in the theater. I would always try to go to a matinee and pray no one would sit behind me. Too stressful. I enjoy movies at home now much more. And if my heart strings are tweaked, I can cry like a baby. And no possiblity of jail time, for beating some discourteous hee haw, into a gelatinous mass, ; )
That's the nice thing about every theater having assigned seating now. You can check online to see how full the theater is. I don't go unless it's nearly empty.

That's the nice thing about every theater having assigned seating now. You can check online to see how full the theater is. I don't go unless it's nearly empty.
This is true, I've only been a few times since they started that.

No more (regular)theater for me, at least in the foreseeable future. People and their phones ruin an expensive outing, no thanks.
Last movie I saw on the big screen was Star Wars(with live orchestra) in April of this year. Only one since the start of the pandemic.
Empire with live orchestra next year, but other than that, no thanks.

No more (regular)theater for me, at least in the foreseeable future. People and their phones ruin an expensive outing, no thanks.
Last movie I saw on the big screen was Star Wars(with live orchestra) in April of this year. Only one since the start of the pandemic.
Empire with live orchestra next year, but other than that, no thanks.

I went to the ANH live with orchestra for its 40th and left almost in tears, it was so moving. They played everything but the cantina band music. There was supposed to be one for Empire but it was cancelled due to COVID and there's been no word on it happening again, and that kills me more than not getting a refund.

I went to the ANH live with orchestra for its 40th and left almost in tears, it was so moving. They played everything but the cantina band music. There was supposed to be one for Empire but it was cancelled due to COVID and there's been no word on it happening again, and that kills me more than not getting a refund.

Same with the one I attended, everything except the cantina scene. For some reason :unsure: I definitely cried more than a few times.
Empire, April 7th and April 8th 2023 in Stockholm, Sweden, in case you want to travel (y)

That Really Grinds my gears!
And the ones with Ipads ffs!
Recently in The Batman I kept seeing this middle aged woman checking her messages, you could clearly see she was on FaceAche..

I don't know how or why they do it but in some Electrical departments and Supermarkets you can't use a phone... Maybe its buildings insulation or maybe on purpose but if only a cinema could actually block phone signal I would be more prepared to go more often.

Those polite Please turn off your phone messages don't work.

It's like that annoying person who thinks it funny not turning their phone off during
a Play or lecture...

Can't sleep, and found some theater stuff...
Although first, I see Halliwax hasn't been on since Jan 29th. Doesn't seem like him to be out so long, hoping he is alright. If anyone knows?

So in looking up theater stuff. (Can't remember if this was already posted here or not) I found these ads where I worked.

The Mall opened March 4th 1998. The theater was suppose to be opening the first week of April.
I got hired March 20th in preping for thst opening date....but...the firemarshall deemed it not ready or safe yet.
Screenshot_20230221_035402_Chrome.jpg

I mean, like a day before a guy is still putting tile up in the lobby.
Some theaters were still getting the sound systems hooked up.
Cleaning people...yeah, it wasn't ready.
I think I remember they were having isses eith the fire alarms, so the biggest reason to delay the opening.

So then theres this flyer for the actual opening of April 10th 1998.
large.jpeg

I totally remember all these movies playing there on opening day.
To think we're about to roll up on 25 years since then....yikes.....

Best time I had at the theater was in highschool. Rode my bike to the Cineplex, payed $ 1 for the matinee, and watched 3 movies that day. I think Blade Runner and ET were two of them. I think maybe Outland with Sean Connery. Don't remember if it was out that year. I know it was wrong , sneaking around to different movies. I repented, won't do it again, ; ) It was a good day. Snack food and three great movies, well 2 and 1/2, lol.

Seeing Batman Begins for the first time with a friend, is about my fondest memory, just having fun and the film was memorable, may not have that friend in my life, but also wish there were more memorable films out there, Mad Max: Fury Road, TG: Maverick, our cinema also has not released a lot of films I want to see, due to studio issues or something, which sucks, nowadays I watch the films in VR and it's the closest I have to a cinema feeling by myself

Seeing Batman Begins for the first time with a friend, is about my fondest memory, just having fun and the film was memorable, may not have that friend in my life, but also wish there were more memorable films out there, Mad Max: Fury Road, TG: Maverick, our cinema also has not released a lot of films I want to see, due to studio issues or something, which sucks, nowadays I watch the films in VR and it's the closest I have to a cinema feeling by myself
Fury Road was probably some of the most fun I had at the theater. Much more over the top on the big screen!

Went to our local Imax in Plymouth over the weekend to see John Wick IV
I'd certainly call it memorable for so many reasons..

You can't ever beat the first installment in the franchise though..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back