Remembering Good Times at the Cinema

When my brother was in college, about '95, he took me to a midnight screening on Raiders of the Lost Ark at the University of Akron theater. The film was super faded, scratchy, and seemed to skip frames. When Indy takes down that soldier in the submarine station, his hat flew up into the frame then jumped onto his head, omitting the in between frames of him putting the hat on. Outstanding experience, never got to see Indy on the big screen until then and it didn't diminish the fun at all.

When my brother was in college, about '95, he took me to a midnight screening on Raiders of the Lost Ark at the University of Akron theater. The film was super faded, scratchy, and seemed to skip frames. When Indy takes down that soldier in the submarine station, his hat flew up into the frame then jumped onto his head, omitting the in between frames of him putting the hat on. Outstanding experience, never got to see Indy on the big screen until then and it didn't diminish the fun at all.
Now that’s a film I’ve never seen on screen… you’re very lucky to experience it

Can't sleep...sooooooo.....
This game, early 90s 3D racer from Sega.
We had it in the lobby for a few years.
One employee somehow figured out, that on the backside by the floor, there were these 2 metal things sticking out. If you took anything metal, like a normal house key, and tapped them at the same time, it would then bring up the debugging menu.
So after all movies started and everything was done and clean and we were just waiting for the last movie to be over. We would set it to play for free and race each other. It even had the sound test.
You could set the thing to cost like $10 a play...we didnt have a way to get the money, so no....thats just mean.
Not sure if I have video of us debugging it or not.

View attachment 1532012
And these days you can get an emulation of it!
I run it through my Flatscreen and for an 90s game it whips along nicely!

And these days you can get an emulation of it!
I run it through my Flatscreen and for an 90s game it whips along nicely!
im actually learning about this right now.. i want to install a HDMI input into my old N64 to play on my tv.. i want it HDMI i dont want analog converters or any of that crap...

but my girlfriend who is a huge gamer is explainer to me its easier to buy and build these emulators and run it off that, supposedly as long as you own the game its not illegal to download the rom and run it on the emulator? i dont want to get into any legal trouble with this crap.. and just prefer to install the HDMI into the n64

Emulation is so proliferated at this point, you couldn't stop it if you tried. In fact, it's the only thing keeping many of these games' legacy alive. Many publishers and studios see video games as disposable so they do (and have done) the least amount of effort in preserving their titles. People who play them and those dedicated enough to work on emulations on their own time are preserving the history of the medium as much as "ripping it off."

I'm all for emulation, even if big corpo' calls it piracy. It's better than being scammed through a pay-wall to play "legal" emulations which are just worse ports of fan preservation efforts that are already freely available---and better! *cough*Nintendo*cough*

Emulation is so proliferated at this point, you couldn't stop it if you tried. In fact, it's the only thing keeping many of these games' legacy alive. Many publishers and studios see video games as disposable so they do (and have done) the least amount of effort in preserving their titles. People who play them and those dedicated enough to work on emulations on their own time are preserving the history of the medium as much as "ripping it off."

I'm all for emulation, even if big corpo' calls it piracy. It's better than being scammed through a pay-wall to play "legal" emulations which are just worse ports of fan preservation efforts that are already freely available---and better! *cough*Nintendo*cough*
When you get a 3am phone call make sure you pick up! It’s from me in the slammer

;)

Stick it to the man, man!
Power to the people!

Actually, right smack in the middle of COVID our local movie theater re-opened and they were desperate for business. In addition to everyone staying home, no new movies were coming out. For several months they were showing many classics for five bucks a seat (Large bucks of popcorn with free refills also only five bucks! I saw Back to the Future, Jaws, Goonies and Jurassic Park just to name a few. But my very favorite movie experience was to Blues Brothers. Me and a few buddies, a couple were RPF members, bout tickets and snuck in a bottle of bourbon. We were the ONLY people in the theater! It was a great night!

Power to the people!

Actually, right smack in the middle of COVID our local movie theater re-opened and they were desperate for business. In addition to everyone staying home, no new movies were coming out. For several months they were showing many classics for five bucks a seat (Large bucks of popcorn with free refills also only five bucks! I saw Back to the Future, Jaws, Goonies and Jurassic Park just to name a few. But my very favorite movie experience was to Blues Brothers. Me and a few buddies, a couple were RPF members, bout tickets and snuck in a bottle of bourbon. We were the ONLY people in the theater! It was a great night!
I would have loved that!! Before our theater closed down (years before covid) they tried having call of duty nights

Where 2 theaters would play off against each other on call a duty

Lasted two months but still couldn’t keep the theater a float

I am going through my ticket stub book, and found that I saw Titanic 3 times. First time was 12-20-97, third time was 6-14-98. That movie was in theaters for at least 6 months! I feel like movies lasted way longer back then, now they are already out to buy in less than 6 months. I think it was about a year until I could buy Independence Day on VHS.

I am going through my ticket stub book, and found that I saw Titanic 3 times. First time was 12-20-97, third time was 6-14-98. That movie was in theaters for at least 6 months! I feel like movies lasted way longer back then, now they are already out to buy in less than 6 months. I think it was about a year until I could buy Independence Day on VHS.
You should have been around in the 70s. Movies like Jaws and Star Wars were in theaters for more than a year. Star Wars was in the theaters so long that Fox declared it a hit, announced sequels, then replaced the original prints with ones that added the "Episode IV: A New Hope" subtitle. Ahhh, good times.

Star Wars was re-released summer 1978, although, as you said, many theaters were still playing it. Those theaters probably got fresh prints at that time (I would hope!).

"ANH" was not added until the 1981 re-release, however.

Never saw it in theaters, and I’m a huge titanic fan. I mean if the ship not the movie lol

Star Wars was re-released summer 1978, although, as you said, many theaters were still playing it. Those theaters probably got fresh prints at that time (I would hope!).

"ANH" was not added until the 1981 re-release, however.
I must be remembering it wrong then. Thank you for correcting me!

I feel like movies lasted way longer back then, now they are already out to buy in less than 6 months. I think it was about a year until I could buy Independence Day on VHS.

Definitely. It's hard to see a movie, even if it's a hit, last more than 3 months in the theater. It's in-and-out these days.

I remember my mom taking me to go see Jurassic park opening weekend… I had my ears covered the whole time.. that was the loudest movie experience of my life..

My theater opened April 1998, Titanic had already been out a few months by then, but we still kept it for 7 months after open.
I remember the Thursday night I hung the mylar for the movie, My big fat greek wedding. Low budget movies like this one always used a cheaper plastic with 2 parts for the mylars. I had never heard of it and most like this lasted a week or 2.
My big fat greek wedding lasted for over 8 months, the last day we had it, it was still totally packed with people....but it was coming out on DVD the next day.
I still never heve seen it, but I would have told the movie studio, hold off on that DVD guys, you are still making a killing in this theater run.

My theater opened April 1998, Titanic had already been out a few months by then, but we still kept it for 7 months after open.
I remember the Thursday night I hung the mylar for the movie, My big fat greek wedding. Low budget movies like this one always used a cheaper plastic with 2 parts for the mylars. I had never heard of it and most like this lasted a week or 2.
My big fat greek wedding lasted for over 8 months, the last day we had it, it was still totally packed with people....but it was coming out on DVD the next day.
I still never heve seen it, but I would have told the movie studio, hold off on that DVD guys, you are still making a killing in this theater run.
I’ve never seen that one either lol

im actually learning about this right now.. i want to install a HDMI input into my old N64 to play on my tv.. i want it HDMI i dont want analog converters or any of that crap...

but my girlfriend who is a huge gamer is explainer to me its easier to buy and build these emulators and run it off that, supposedly as long as you own the game its not illegal to download the rom and run it on the emulator? i dont want to get into any legal trouble with this crap.. and just prefer to install the HDMI into the n64
Yeah like DVDs etc as long as you own them.
If you find an easy option let me know
I did have five consols and two Atari connected but
Those Wires!..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back