Reinforcing pepakura w/ fiberglass

SterlingMedal

is there a tutorial on here on how to work with fiberglass? if so, could someone plz direct me to it? and yes, i kno there is a search thingy at the top...it tends to not find what i look for.

hey bud, i used for a bio ffor my nephew and its easy,smelly but easy... 1st do it in a well ventilated area(outside back yard preferably) . it comes in A METAL CONTAINER WITH A LITTLE TUBE OF a drying agent, remember that that tube is for the whole can so use accordinly... mix well then use paintbrush and paint a few coats of it... wash paintbrush between coats.it comes with e little fiberglass mesh or cloth to give it extra strength. like i said it stinks alot, so dont breath the vapors from it. also dont put it where your face is gonna be in contact with it unless u coat it with something like paint or clear coat... once u build a few layers u can sand ,dremmel and paint it... hope his help

hey bud, i used for a bio ffor my nephew and its easy,smelly but easy... 1st do it in a well ventilated area(outside back yard preferably) . it comes in A METAL CONTAINER WITH A LITTLE TUBE OF a drying agent, remember that that tube is for the whole can so use accordinly... mix well then use paintbrush and paint a few coats of it... wash paintbrush between coats.it comes with e little fiberglass mesh or cloth to give it extra strength. like i said it stinks alot, so dont breath the vapors from it. also dont put it where your face is gonna be in contact with it unless u coat it with something like paint or clear coat... once u build a few layers u can sand ,dremmel and paint it... hope his help
wow. didn't think anyone would actually help. thnx.

You don't need to use smelly resin and fibreglass, you can use a whole host of other safer alternatives. Papier mache, bondo/epoxy, jesmonite, plaster bandage etc. Main thing to consider is the weight if you're going to wear it. I've used a papier mache like product called Sculptamold and it can be modelled a bit like clay. It can be air or oven dried, sets pretty hard and can be lightly sanded and drilled. Light as a feather and safe. You can get it from Amazon.
Use the search facility for more info.
If you do use resin/fibreglass make sure you have good ventilation, mask up and keep your skin covered to protect you from the really annoying itchy fibres.

You don't need to use smelly resin and fibreglass, you can use a whole host of other safer alternatives. Papier mache, bondo/epoxy, jesmonite, plaster bandage etc. Main thing to consider is the weight if you're going to wear it. I've used a papier mache like product called Sculptamold and it can be modelled a bit like clay. It can be air or oven dried, sets pretty hard and can be lightly sanded and drilled. Light as a feather and safe. You can get it from Amazon.
Use the search facility for more info.
If you do use resin/fibreglass make sure you have good ventilation, mask up and keep your skin covered to protect you from the really annoying itchy fibres.
thnx man. didn't think of those.

I use a 2 part Elmer's white glue to one part water mix for my papier mache. I have gone from using tissue paper to using table napkins. They are cheaper and you get much more material to work with. After the item is covered and dried, put one or two coats of just glue on it to smooth it out. I am having a LOT of success with this and just printed out the pepa bio to use as a base for sculpting! I may glass over mine afterwards since it will need to be really solid. Keep me informed how yours turns out. I'll do the same. Take a look at my paintball mask build to see how it's coming. I am building it up by hotgluing rolled newspaper and cardboard onto it, then papier mache over that.

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=14133

Do you have any pix to show of it yet?

Do you have any pix to show of it yet?

Here's what I got. I started with a bio and because the left side was correct and the right side some how got warped and smashed, I wound up with an Army of Two mask.

mask1.jpg

mask2.jpg

mask3.jpg

All that's left is to reinforce it. Maybe make a mold of it and some kind of casting.

mask1.jpg

mask2.jpg

mask3.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back