RED 4 - Hero X-Wing with machined armature (motorized)

Today I worked more on the cannons, they are now finished.
That was a ***** to get the Hummel parts to shape because Ive got a repop (80's) of the Hummel which has those wheels molded in a low friction plastic (that's the R/C version). It means those parts just cant be sanded ! I ruined 2 wheels before a success. If you put those wheels on your dremel to use it as a lathe and use sandpaper and that the speed is too low, you sand nothing ! If you use a highter speed, you got melted plastic.
So I used the tip of a file, not to sand the part, but to remove plastic while the dremel was on. Took me 25 minutes / wheel. :angry

As for the ring, I used a ring of my V2, I added at the back styrene to get a taller ring and to transform the ring into a cap :p Then I molded it.

The C parts and the tip tubing were also bashed from my V2. I have to find something else when I will rebuild my V2 ! :lol The C-parts will be replaced by metal ones when I get the stuff.

The M8 wheels and Sherman parts were added.

r4-92.jpg

r4-93.jpg

r4-94.jpg

They are ready for the basecoat !

Those look great Julien.

I've always wanted to know what the small mechanical parts are towards the rear of the cannon. Can you tell me which kit they're from? I'd like to replace some that aren't cast so well on my captain c'board x-wing.

Julien,

Tu travaille vraiment bien, tous est super net et precis, oui ici a Montreal, Quebec ont parle Francais aussi, excuse les fautes d'aurtographe, c'est plus facile ecrire en Englais pour moi.

Bravo!

GFollano

Many thanks for your comments, Im glad you like it.
GF, merci pour ce petit mot en français, ça fait plaisir de lire un peu de français ici ;) En ce qui concerne les fautes, tu en fais certainement moins que moi en anglais !

Cannons are pinned and glued in place. Ive started the weathering on them. Still have a lot of work to get it a bit better, still have to paint the nose, rework the canopy, paint the back and the rear plug and put all those tiny black squares all over the ship !

r4-95.jpg

R4-96.jpg

r4-97.jpg

r4-98.jpg

r4-99.jpg

Those areas were very hard to reproduce... But those are why I replicated this bird, so different from the other...
I think it has this extreme weathering and a totally burned engine because its destiny was to blow up ! :)

r4-100.jpg

r4-101.jpg

r4-102.jpg

MASTERFUL weather job so far bro, some of the best work ive seen on any X wing, the X wing bar has truly been raised way high with this build!

lee

Thanks for your comments guys ! That's mean a lot from you !
And thanks for the english lesson Colin, Ive learned something new, I love this forum ! :)

Well I put all those tiny black marks all over the ship (which represent hinges I think), painthed the yellow strips on the cannons and did some touch up to the paint. I reworked the yellow of the canopy and of the left strip which should have been the same color. It was not the case after I repainted the canopy... Now it's fixed ! I added some more blast marks, did a gray panel on the left red strip of the fuselage and painted on of the panel of the right one with a darker red to mimic the studio model.

I put all the decals, some were from another decal sheet which I probably dont have (dont have time to check all my decal sheets !) so I used close decals in some place !

I gonna post pics tomorrow !

Thanks Blewis !

I took some new pics to show where I am right now. It's 99% finished. I have to insert rings with the heatsinks into the engines and the light bulbs, add the strips in the intakes ad redo some touch up to the paint (and fully repaint the r2 strip !).

r4-103.jpg

r4-104.jpg

r4-105.jpg

r4-106.jpg

r4-107.jpg

r4-108.jpg

r4-109.jpg

r4-110.jpg

r4-111.jpg

I'll take some pics with the wings closed (I like much more this configuration !) and Ill try to take pics under sunlight...

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated to improve what I can improve, thanks !

J mate you need to get that insured on your house hold insurance policy, that is the best X ever done mate & it would be hard to improve it. You've made me want to start my next V3 & put my dodgy Y down.

You really have worked magic with this build mate.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back