Recommended Falcon Paints

Archive&Future

Sr Member
Okay SO, some of you may know that I'm converting an MPC Falcon; now I'm doing my best on it (and learning masses whilst doing it) but I don't want to stuff it up with a dodgy paint job.
I know that the general knowledge is either Floquil 'Grime' or 50/50 'Grime' and white
The trouble is that those are enamel paints as far as I'm aware, my entire collection of paints are Citadel and Tamiya acrylics, and I've heard that enamels and acrylics don't go together too well. I picked up Tamiya 'Deck Tan' but it's way too beige

TL: DR? What's a good acrylic paint for the Falcon?

Last edited:
Enamels and acrylics can be used together, they just can't be mixed. But applying one over another is fine.

The original models were painted mostly with Floquil railroad colors which are enamels. Polyscale is the same colors in acrylic. Floquil and Polyscale were both discontinued by Testers recently, but there are alternatives out there.
MicroLux Paints

Vallejo Paints

Scalecoat II Paint

i would stick with your acrylic paints.i find them much easier to use.you will find a lot of info and opinions here on the rpf (all good) on what paints and colour mixes were and can be used.
i hope to paint my 32'' falcon (when i ever get it finished) sometime next year and i've been experimenting with some colours.funny you mention deck tan as that was one of the paints i really like and i may use it mixed with some grays.
here is a list i think may help
tamiya
deck tan xf-55
sky grey xf-19
light grey xf-66
royal light grey xf-80
flat white xf-2

Enamels and acrylics can be used together, they just can't be mixed. But applying one over another is fine.

The original models were painted mostly with Floquil railroad colors which are enamels. Polyscale is the same colors in acrylic. Floquil and Polyscale were both discontinued by Testers recently, but there are alternatives out there.
MicroLux Paints

Vallejo Paints

Scalecoat II Paint

Ahah, I didn't realise that they could be applied over each other, I thought there might be some reaction where they started cracking or something. I've never used Vallejo paints, what are they like to use? Somebody on Flickr also pointed me to AK Interactive paints, which I'd never heard of til now

i would stick with your acrylic paints.i find them much easier to use.you will find a lot of info and opinions here on the rpf (all good) on what paints and colour mixes were and can be used.
i hope to paint my 32'' falcon (when i ever get it finished) sometime next year and i've been experimenting with some colours.funny you mention deck tan as that was one of the paints i really like and i may use it mixed with some grays.
here is a list i think may help
tamiya
deck tan xf-55
sky grey xf-19
light grey xf-66
royal light grey xf-80
flat white xf-2

That looks like a good list. Tamiya paints aren't too expensive and they're readily available so I'll likely end up sticking with them. I also heard JA Grey XF-14 is good for mixing a Falcon colour.

Vallejo are acrylics, and very good quality from what I've read. I haven't used them myself but I intend to try them out. The Microlux paints are made by Vallejo, I mentioned them because they have a line of railroad colors which should make color matching easier.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back