Recommendations for custom/colored contact lenses?

pwrofbauer

Not sure if this is the best section to post this in but it seems to me like it fits best with 'makeup effects', so here goes.

I'm looking to get a pair of contact lenses for a costume, and was wondering if you all had any recommendations for a good company/site to go by. I'm hoping to do a zombie!Wolverine. Not sure if I want to go with blackout lenses or a reddish/animal looking design. Figured I'd look around where people suggested they've had luck buying from. Any links appreciated.

I have normal vision with no corrective lenses right now so they wouldn't need to be prescription.

I've been looking on eXtreme sfx so far but am going to check out some others...thanks everyone!

White is also an option. I'm looking more for recommendations about a particular company to buy from. Anyone have any suggestions?

Remember that even though you said you just need clear lenses, ALL types of contacts (even special-effects contacts) are still considered medical devices and cannot be purchased LEGALLY in the United States without a contact lens prescription.

You should see an eye doctor for a contact lens exam to have them properly fitted and prescribed, even if you have perfect eyesight and don't need corrective eyewear.

Also, some novelty contact manufacturers claim to sell "one size fits all" but there really is no such thing when it comes to contacts. A lens that doesn't fit right can lead to a bunch of nasty stuff like eye infections, corneal ulcers, and even blindness. Even "FDA approved" contacts can be dangerous without having them fitted first.

I can't recommend any specific places to buy special effects contacts, but a good rule of thumb is to never buy them at any store that doesn't ask you for a valid contact lens prescription first. This means you will need to know what base curve, diameter, and power you need before ordering to reduce the risk of getting a lens that might damage your eyes. I know it sounds like a hassle, but I think this is always good to keep in mind for anyone looking at getting novelty lenses.

Last edited:
When I did my Zombie Wolverine, I went with white. I agree that it is the right color.

zombie-wolverine-68915_439612653239_6381585_n.jpg-100624d1341027753

Pretty much every contact lens dealer online sells them in white. I got mine from this place: WHITE OUT

And +1 on the whole "prescription" thing. You need lenses that match the curve of your eyes, and the only way you will find that out is to get an exam. Expect to spend about $200 total by the time you're done.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice! It is much appreciated. I'll definitely be going to the eye doctor after the new year due to new changes to our health insurance with work, and I'll talk to them then about having an exam done for contacts.

I am in the same boat. My vision is pretty good and do not need contacts or glasses and ordered from a site in England but my advice is go get your eyes measured...the contact I ordered did not fit correctly.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back