Recently started watching Dr Who with the GF...

Paul Andrew

Master Member
and started with the Eccleston season. I didn't expect the show to have quite as much goofiness as it does. Still not sure what I think about it. It's fun, and I will see the season through though. Just finished the first episode with a Dalek. I really, really thought it sounded preposterous. Cartoon like even. But that might just be me.

::D'oh! Forgot which forum I was under.::

It does get more serious than what you've seen but if you don't like it by now you probably won't. ;)

Dalek is one of the best episodes of season 1! Just gotta suspend your disbelief and go with it. The slitheen episodes I thought were silly though.

Girlfriend making you watch Dr. Who, huh?

Don't worry my friend. As someone who's been where you're at, I can tell you that it does eventually get better.

Not the show mind you. That thing is just a big shiny wheel of cheese hurtling down a hill of ever worsening writing while bouncing over plot holes you could lose a Buick in, with dialogue so juvenile you will swear it had to be written in crayon.

But eventually she will tire of you rolling your eyes and clawing at your ears in pain and let you leave the room.

So take heart. It does get better... when you don't have to watch it anymore.

My husband and I watched 4 episodes and gave up. I kept falling asleep. I think I'm the only one of my friends who thinks the show is boring.

My husband and I watched 4 episodes and gave up. I kept falling asleep. I think I'm the only one of my friends who thinks the show is boring.
Boring?:rolleyes
Not the word I would use about the show but to each his own.

My first Doctor was William Hartnell, and back then it was great, but I have to admit that Chris Eccleston would have to be my favorite.

The 2005 series brought better production values, and dragged Doctor Who into the 21st century.

I like the fact that with CGI, we no longer have to worry about the card boards sets of yesteryear.

The other thing with the new series is that there are better story arcs, making it more interesting, some lasting a season or more.

I would suggest, maybe putting the dvd's away for a whilke, then one rainy cold afternoon, when you want something to watch, bring them out, and try watching them again.:love

My first Doctor was William Hartnell, and back then it was great, but I have to admit that Chris Eccleston would have to be my favorite.
Oh, so you're the other fan who likes Eccleston! ;)

In my opinion, the key to watching Doctor Who (since 2005, anyway) is to not take it too seriously; it's the television equivalent of a "popcorn flick". Sit back, relax, and have fun with it.

I've been watching Doctor Who since the 70's and was working nights when Nu Who came on. I eventually found episodes on-line and watched them 'till I caught up.

Here in Australia the ABC started playing Nu Who from the beginning (Eclestone) and through to the most recent season. Since we are still waiting for new Doctor Who episodes, the ABC went back to the beginning of Ecclestones run and are replaying it all over again.

I have found that with each episode gets better each time I watch it.

There are parts of many episodes that ground my gears to the point of anger the first time I watched them. Now, I seem to gloss over those parts, but the good parts just seem to get better.

So basically the new Doctor Who is an enjoyable ride with strong emotional connections, for me at least.

Yeah, Doctor Who isn't something that's going to inspire future engineers and scientists who want to build a Tardis. You take Doctor Who as seriously as you would take, say, The Avengers or The Real Housewives of Whatever.

Think of it as "Mythology for Nerds".

Anyway, if you want my opinion on Season One, skip the Slitheen two-parter. It's really boring, silly to the extreme, and just plain childish. The one with Rose's Father is kinda cool, and the two-parter with the gas-mask people is just awesome.

I started watching it back when Eccleston was on, and I thought his season was on the border of being a bit silly as well.

Tennant's first season was similar, but it really picked up in his second. Either skip ahead or just hang in there!

Sean

It's fun. I used to watch Tom Baker and Peter Davison as Doctor Who back in high school, then I missed everything from them through 2010 or 2011, probably turning my nose up at anything new just because it was different.

Fast forward to a cold winter a year ago, and I geeked out over the holidays on a BBC America Doctor Who marathon, falling in like with it the process. In the next 5 months, all episodes ran on BBCA, so I recorded them all and watched in order thanks to copying/printing episode lists from Wikipedia. Curiously, a few minutes seem to be cut from some episodes, so I've filled in many missing scenes via YouTube. (Work, are you reading this?!)

Each Doctor from Eccleston forward brings something different, and while it takes time, I have learned to accept their different characterizations as part of the greater whole, and overall I'm thrilled the series is back on and has a lot of real resources behind it. The various arcs over many months and recurring characters have been very enjoyable. Probably my biggest disappointment was that Brigadier wasn't written back in somehow before the actor died, but too late now.

Have fun with your watching. And don't pass up this golden opportunity of sharing this with your girlfriend to bring in/discuss/watch other sci-fi, go to cons, make costumes/props, etc. lol

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back