Rebel Legion requirements for X Wing pilot costume?

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm trying to answer a question for somebody, who wants to know if a particular X-wing pilot costume would be "approved" by the Rebel Legion. Do they have particular guidelines for this type of costume?

Thanks

Karl

Last edited:
Re: 501st Legion requirements for X Wing pilot costume?

I'm trying to answer a question for somebody, who wants to know if a particular X-wing pilot costume would be "approved" by the 501st. Do they have particular guidelines for this type of costume?

Thanks

Karl

I don't think the 501st is going to approve any variation on the X-Wing pilot costume. The Rebel Legion on the other hand, well here is a link to their standards...http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8851

Re: 501st Legion requirements for X Wing pilot costume?

I believe I'm pretty familiar with the requirements for an x-wing costume on Rebel Legion, so ask away!

Obviously I am not a golfer! :lol

Yes thank you, I probably meant to say "Rebel" and not 501st. I blame the lack of coffee.

As to "requirements", I guess what I want is a list of what they do and don't allow, if such a list exists. Or do they just let any costume in?

Reason I ask is that I'm selling an Xwing pilot outfit in the junkyard and someone has asked.

k

from the link above:

Rebel Pilot Costume Standards
X-Wing pilot (Episode IV; VI), Y-Wing pilot (Episode IV)

Required Items:
  1. Orange flightsuit with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab, code cylinder pocket on upper left arm, rectangular pocket with a flap closure on upper right arm, and thigh pockets (upper set required, lower set optional). No visible zippers or snaps.
  2. Mid-calf black boots (Jack boots or engineer boots are acceptable. No lace up boots. High-Calf boots are acceptable with sufficient blousing of the flighsuit legs.)
  3. Silver/grey leg flares in an olive drab or black leg-band holder.
  4. Light grey/silver grey ejection harness and web belt, all 2” wide.
  5. Accurate white flak vest with ribbing
  6. Accurately sized grey chest box with accurate decoration (buttons, rocker switches, pin stripes etc.). Grey hose or aviation hose should attach at the bottom of the chest box and connect to the flightsuit.
  7. Code cylinders in left shoulder pocket. Two minimum, three maximum.
  8. Black gauntlet-style gloves.
Formal Requirements:

You must have at least one of the following items to be accepted:
  1. X-Wing helmet with Star Wars-style decoration.
  2. Mini-flares on belt
  3. Accurate belt buckle on web belt
  4. Comm pad visible inside comm pad pocket on lower left arm

And yes, if the pictures show items not up to snuff the costume judges will ask for changes before approval.

Yup, dbuck posted it. Has to fit those requirements. If you aren't sure, feel free to post pics of the costume, and I can tell you what is wrong with it. I'm not a judge on rebel legion, but I've seen hundreds of pilots, and I can definitely help.

Thanks guys. Here's a photo of the suit in question. The collar stands up as shown but does not close in front (perhaps it can be pinned or something).

I'll have to check about the pockets on the other arm and suit, but mine does have the cylinder and comm pad pockets.

The harness is kind of a gray-violet color, but still gray I think.

ebxwingsuit.jpg

The only thing wrong that I can see is the collar. They'd ask for a mod there. The chest box webbing should be green, but I don't think that it's a deal-breaker.

Other than that, not bad at all.

Here's the MOM display, note the collar. That's what they're looking for.

xwsuit.jpg

phase pistol, you can sign up on the RL forums as a user and post your pics in the pilot area. dbuck and maboots38 did do a nice job on their advice but over there, you can get some "official" advice not that dbuck and maboots38 did not do fabulous but it is always better to go the horse's mouth ;)

Yeah, I can only really echo dbuck on the collar. I think that is the only think they would require be fixed, but other than that, the color of the straps is a minor issue that will most likely not get your buyer rejected.

Of course, they would eventually want to upgrade the belt to have mini-flares, and the chestbox strap should be green, but I've seen worse pilots get approved!

I agree with padme, signing up to rebellegion.com and posting all this in the rebel pilot section is the best way to get the most accurate feedback on this, but your buyer will sign up anyway to get approved, so just point them in that direction, and all will be wonderful.

It looks like the coverall has the required leg pockets. You will also need a pocket on the right sleeve, that I can not see in the pics.

I got approved with black chest box straps, but I have upgraded to screen-accurate green straps. The correct strap is "Nato #7".

Interesting ejection straps! Is it elastic? A little dark, but I think that is OK.

Because the X-wing suit's collar is lower (2") than on most coveralls, you can remake it without the need for any extra material. Rip its seams, iron it flat, then follow this diagram:
collar.jpg

Btw, attach the velcro before you stitch it together -- it will look better.

Thanks for all the advice! I have posted up on RL and we'll see what transpires.

I am told by Richie that the helmet is likely a Dreadnought Industries (Wakal) recast. Ditto on the chest box.

The overall dos have six pockets in front (chest, thighs, legs) and a pocket on the right sleeve.

The ejection straps are handmade I think, they don't seem to be military-type belt material. Mine are lighter.

k

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back