REAL STERLING owners

Durasteel Corporation

If you do, got a question for you.

I am rebuilding my sterling. As most know, I have a metal shop, weld etc, so the rebuild isnt that hard. Its taken some fascinating extrapolation and Ive needed to think 'backwards' to rebuild this thing in order to use the original tube....but...I noticed rather odd when comparing what I presume to be the correct assembly and hence length cocking pin slot.

While looking at some resin sterling blueprints I got years ago (which were supposed to be accurate) I noticed that the cocking slot was shorter by about a quarter inch than my reconstruction.

now I havent done the final welding, but everything seems to align very nicely.....the swing arm butt piece clip attaches very securely in the front of the gun and those two stubs on the swing arm attach firmly in the pin/butt piece (and it locks well).

But ...what I cant figure out is why the cocking pin slot WOULD SEEM to be about a quarter inch longer in my reconstruction in which the swing arm works and fits well....vs....the supposed accurate blueprints.

Er, so...what Im asking for is if anyone who owns an original uncut sterling (never cut apart) can give me a really accurate length of the cocking pin slot.

Damn that took a lot of text to get to my point. :lol

Ill post pictures when Im finished...thanks so much guys.

Drew

Carefull. By rewelding that reciever you can get into some serious Doo-Doo with the BATF. Like illeagal Machien gun with a mandatory 10 year sentance.

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Jan 21 2006, 03:37 AM
Nah, the interal elements of the gun are modified....full weight and guts and all, but Ive been careful to make 'smart' mods.
[snapback]1164387[/snapback]​

Just be aware that it's a fine line as the receiver (tube) IS the gun void of what is inside, if the receiver is intact and can be loaded with functional parts it's a gun...

Originally posted by exoray@Jan 21 2006, 04:50 AM
Just be aware that it's a fine line as the receiver (tube) IS the gun void of what is inside, if the receiver is intact and can be loaded with functional parts it's a gun...
[snapback]1164401[/snapback]​

Exactly.

It's really not a fine line though. A whole un-cut receiver is illegal, such as the ones Parks was selling. They had a few junk welds on the inside which were easily removed.

is there around a Sterling Mk4/L2A3 toy replica?
i couldnt find anything (just a soft air dismissed some years ago or 1/4 scale replica)

Got one at the shop...I'll get back to you on it.... Shoots real bullets and everything.

If I can't get in today I'll give them a call and get it over the phone.

EDIT:
Here it is..

sterlinginsafe.JPG

*Thanks Wackychimp*

M

Thanks to everyone who is helping out.....Ive had this sterling kit for years and am so excited to finally piece the puzzle together....its the puzzle of parts I find so interesting.

As for the final piece....again, I have thought through this very carefully. There are numerous ways to reconstruct the sterling such that its visible intact but can never fire.

Yet on that note....anything can be made to fire again...just a question of patience and metal/machining skills. Thats the reality of things. My objective is to make as reasonably acceptable as any other reconstructed "non" firing firearm. Ive got an old neighbor friend in the FBI who has given me some advice too, thankfully.

Indeed that is what Ive been told thus far. I figured hereunto that the slot in the supposed resin blueprints was accurate.....not so....it was nearly a half inch too short.

But with yall help Ive gotten more done on this thing in less than 3 hours than ever before...

I am rebuilding it such that the original tube is used, ie, Im piecing it together instead of soldering on the parts which is never as strong as a weld.

The welding is tricky no doubt. When welding I have to cut out V notches to fill in witht the MIG....and then still be careful not to accidently weld the inner mandrel tube that helps hold the parts together. Its tricky but I think the resulting piece will be well worth the effort....much closer to the original as the parts are original.

I saw a civilian semi-automatic version that was very close to the L2A3. The difference being it had an extended barrel and barrel nut, different rear sight, and it was missing the front fingerguard. I don't know if accurizing it with the correct barrel tip and no extension would make it illegal or not.

Originally posted by wuher da brewer@Jan 21 2006, 03:03 PM
I saw a civilian semi-automatic version that was very close to the L2A3.  The difference being it had an extended barrel and barrel nut, different rear sight, and it was missing the front fingerguard.  I don't know if accurizing it with the correct barrel tip and no extension would make it illegal or not.
[snapback]1164770[/snapback]​

It would. Any rilfe/carbine with a barrel under 16 inches is considerd a SBR (shor barreled Rifle) and is a class II weapon. They are still buildable but you have to go through the same process is ifyou were getting another class III weapon (ie, Automatic/Machine gun, Sub-gun, Silencers etc.)

Originally posted by CMANavy+Jan 21 2006, 09:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CMANavy @ Jan 21 2006, 09:15 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wuher da brewer
@Jan 21 2006, 03:03 PM
I saw a civilian semi-automatic version that was very close to the L2A3.  The difference being it had an extended barrel and barrel nut, different rear sight, and it was missing the front fingerguard.  I don't know if accurizing it with the correct barrel tip and no extension would make it illegal or not.
[snapback]1164770[/snapback]​

It would. Any rilfe/carbine with a barrel under 16 inches is considerd a SBR (shor barreled Rifle) and is a class II weapon. They are still buildable but you have to go through the same process is ifyou were getting another class III weapon (ie, Automatic/Machine gun, Sub-gun, Silencers etc.)
[snapback]1164891[/snapback]​
[/b]

A barrel less then 16" is a Class III (SBR) not Class II, probably a typo on your part... If you want to build a Class III you need to first find a registered reciever that was registered before they were outlawed (going price for a registerd Sterling tube is about $7000+ if you can find one) or you need to be a Class II manufacture building a dealer sample for sale to law enforcement/government agencys and jumping through a bunch of hoops, time and money...

The Sterling MK 6 is a US legal non Class III firearm, it fires closed bolt and only fires semi, and has the legal longer barrel (optional dummy short barrel/front cap for display) other then that it is pretty much identical to the MK4 (L2A3) in appearance... There is also the US knock-off versions from PAWS, they differ greatly from the real thing both in appearance and workings...
MK6.jpg

And here is the MK 6 with the dummy barrel...
MK6_2.jpg

Originally posted by exoray@Jan 22 2006, 02:37 AM

The Sterling MK 6 is a US legal non Class III firearm, it fires closed bolt and only fires semi, and has the legal longer barrel (optional dummy short barrel/front cap for display) other then that it is pretty much identical to the MK4 (L2A3) in appearance...
MK6.jpg

And here is the MK 6 with the dummy barrel...
MK6_2.jpg

[snapback]1164897[/snapback]​

Where can you get these? Are they still imported?

Originally posted by Jimbo890@Jan 21 2006, 11:48 PM
Where can you get these? Are they still imported?

Sterling is gone...

Ask around at your local gun stores and see if they can secure one, or browse online auctions they pop up every so often... But, beware people will try and pass off the PAWS knock off as the real deal, also expect to pay a pretty penny...

what i cant soffer is that i may find very easily an MP40 toy for 19,95$ (even airsoft at that price..) but no MK4/6 L2A3 sterling..

1-1-90_3_small.jpg

1-1-449_small.jpg

i could find only 1/6 scale..
DSC03973.jpg

if someone start a massive toy production of the sterling i am sure they get their $$$..

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back