Reacher Series, Amazon Prime

mattycsi

Master Member
The teaser trailer for the new Reacher series has been released.

It is running as 1 season = 1 book. Starting at the beginning, so this is an adaptation of Killing Floor.

They certainly have the physicality down for Reacher this time, I think he has a good likeness to the character.

I'm excited for this one.

I've been a fan of the Jack Reacher series for years and owned every book up to the point when the ideas ran out. Was happy when they decided to make the movies, but thought Tom Cruise was the worst possible actor that they could have picked for the role. Most fans were outraged. Reacher's physicality is as much of (if not more) a character trait as his background, demeanor, etc. He's supposed to be like a man-mountain. When they decided to start over at Amazon and named Alan Ritchson as Reacher I was thrilled that they had at least picked an actor who physically could do the role justice.

Watching the trailer though, it looks like they've decided to change Reacher's personality which is another disservice to the fan base. Reacher is a man of few words, and doesn't feel the need to show off. He mostly just wants to be left alone, but will get involved in a situation if he thinks he can help someone in trouble. This characterization looks like they're trying to peddle to the masses, not the fans. It might be the right way to gain a new audience, but the consumers that have made the franchise a success will not be happy.

Its just a trailer, so maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I'm certainly not as excited for this as I was before the trailer.

I've been a fan of the Jack Reacher series for years and owned every book up to the point when the ideas ran out. Was happy when they decided to make the movies, but thought Tom Cruise was the worst possible actor that they could have picked for the role. Most fans were outraged. Reacher's physicality is as much of (if not more) a character trait as his background, demeanor, etc. He's supposed to be like a man-mountain. When they decided to start over at Amazon and named Alan Ritchson as Reacher I was thrilled that they had at least picked an actor who physically could do the role justice.

Watching the trailer though, it looks like they've decided to change Reacher's personality which is another disservice to the fan base. Reacher is a man of few words, and doesn't feel the need to show off. He mostly just wants to be left alone, but will get involved in a situation if he thinks he can help someone in trouble. This characterization looks like they're trying to peddle to the masses, not the fans. It might be the right way to gain a new audience, but the consumers that have made the franchise a success will not be happy.

Its just a trailer, so maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I'm certainly not as excited for this as I was before the trailer.
I have to admit, I likes Cruise in the 1st movie. I think he had the character right, I could live with the size issue. The second movie started well and descended into just another Tom Cruise film. They had him running and stunt driving! Two things the books go to great lengths to say he is bad at and avoids at every opportunity.

So far, I see this as a teaser that is cut to appeal to a wide base. I'm hoping that with 8 episodes they'll allow for the character to shine through and show the deduction and tactical skills.

I've aeen people complaining that he has too much of a gym body and not a naturally big guy, but I think a) options on actors like that are limited and b) a lot of audiences need to see the muscle in order to understand he is strong. In Creed, loads of people complained that they should have cast an opponent that actually looked like a boxer instead of Tony Bellew!

Whilst you are right, that for the most part he keeps to himself and falls ass backwards into an adventure when trying to help someone, in this book he is dragged right into it without much choice.

I would say this show real promise at the moment, the guy looks the part, they are using source material and nothing really red flags for me in this trailer.

I have to admit, I likes Cruise in the 1st movie. I think he had the character right, I could live with the size issue. The second movie started well and descended into just another Tom Cruise film. They had him running and stunt driving! Two things the books go to great lengths to say he is bad at and avoids at every opportunity.

So far, I see this as a teaser that is cut to appeal to a wide base. I'm hoping that with 8 episodes they'll allow for the character to shine through and show the deduction and tactical skills.

I've aeen people complaining that he has too much of a gym body and not a naturally big guy, but I think a) options on actors like that are limited and b) a lot of audiences need to see the muscle in order to understand he is strong. In Creed, loads of people complained that they should have cast an opponent that actually looked like a boxer instead of Tony Bellew!

Whilst you are right, that for the most part he keeps to himself and falls ass backwards into an adventure when trying to help someone, in this book he is dragged right into it without much choice.

I would say this show real promise at the moment, the guy looks the part, they are using source material and nothing really red flags for me in this trailer.
I haven’t read the books, but I really liked the first film, so if this turns out anything like that, I’m interested.

I haven’t read the books, but I really liked the first film, so if this turns out anything like that, I’m interested.
The first film worked because it was very close to the source material, barring the physical stature of Cruise. Had they had a big dude back then I think we'd be waiting on movie no. 5 of the franchise by now!

One of the selling points they keep talking up on this show is that each season will follow one book. So I have hope that the source will be treated well.

I dont know much about the series but like this actor. He is a cool dude based on interviews and a good comedic actor (see Blue Mountain State…or dont as it could ruin your image of Reacher lol).

Also really curious why this guy isnt a bigger deal tbh. He has kept a superhero bod (was the body double for Beowulf), has played two super heroes (Hawk in Titans and Aquaman in Smallville) and is a decent actor that doesnt seem to get into controvery. How has neither DC nor Marvel picked him to play one of their heroes in their movies, I dont know.

I like the actor. Enjoyed him in Titans, and he's a riot on Brooklyn 99 for the very few episodes (maybe one?) where he appears.

I haven't read the books, but I gather he's WAY closer to the Reacher from the books in terms of his size, so I'm good with that.

Amazon's original series have been pretty entertaining. Jack Ryan is nothing like the books, but whatever, that series sailed ages ago and now it's just an excuse to have CIA stuff. So for that, it's entertaining and I get to watch Wendell Pierce, who is always enjoyable. I figure Reacher will be similar. Cast looks solid, too.

I like the actor. Enjoyed him in Titans, and he's a riot on Brooklyn 99 for the very few episodes (maybe one?) where he appears.

I haven't read the books, but I gather he's WAY closer to the Reacher from the books in terms of his size, so I'm good with that.

Amazon's original series have been pretty entertaining. Jack Ryan is nothing like the books, but whatever, that series sailed ages ago and now it's just an excuse to have CIA stuff. So for that, it's entertaining and I get to watch Wendell Pierce, who is always enjoyable. I figure Reacher will be similar. Cast looks solid, too.
What are the good shows on Amazon original series? They have been hit or miss for me.

Havent seen Jack Ryan. The Boys is excellent and Tokyo woman’s journal (could be Japan only) but dont know about others. Invincible was ok for me.

Looks way better than the Cruise movies. Loved the series until it got really really dull from constantly feeling like the same story over and over

What are the good shows on Amazon original series? They have been hit or miss for me.

Havent seen Jack Ryan. The Boys is excellent and Tokyo woman’s journal (could be Japan only) but dont know about others. Invincible was ok for me.
I liked Bosch and Hanna.
Looks way better than the Cruise movies. Loved the series until it got really really dull from constantly feeling like the same story over and over
I never felt the stories got repetetive. But it could be the Titanic effect, you know where its going to end up but the journey is enjoyable.

Binged the 1st 6 episodes today.

All good so far, all the right beats have been hit and it appears to be a solid adaptation.

I have a couple of nitpicks but I can get past them.

I'm 4 episodes in, and am really liking this so far. They've kept the character in tact and made a great choice with Ritchson. I don't think Reacher would have been as chiseled, as he doesn't have a gym membership, but overall the physicality is spot on. Temperament is captured correctly as well. Looking forward to finishing the series!

Wife and I binged the whole series yesterday... as a fan of the books, it was much better than the Cruise versions, but not up to the production quality of Bosch (which is excellent as a book adaptation). Ritchson is good in the role, but I always though Matthew Willig would have been perfect for the role, physically:

498561922.jpg

Cc_XsdgVAAAhi79.jpg

Anyone else catch Lee Child's cameo? He also had cameos in both the Cruise movies....

Wife and I binged the whole series yesterday... as a fan of the books, it was much better than the Cruise versions, but not up to the production quality of Bosch (which is excellent as a book adaptation). Ritchson is good in the role, but I always though Matthew Willig would have been perfect for the role, physically:

Anyone else catch Lee Child's cameo? He also had cameos in both the Cruise movies....
Finished it.

Caught the cameo straight away. Wondering if thats going to be a Stan Lee type event throughout future seasons.

Not enough coffee
Some guys he fights seemed to do too well against him.
Too much running.
Too much driving.
Not sure what is going on with the french medal, as in, where it came from?
Pet peeve: the cigarette being used to light the petrol.
On the whole I think the character was done right and his military skills/thinking and intellect were able to come through.

There were some good nods to bits of the other books too.

Looking forward to more of it.

I am 5 episodes in and really liking it. Trying to spread it out a bit so it’s not over so quick but honestly will probably finish it tonight. There were a couple of lines in the show I heard Tom cruise’s delivery in my head.

Having not been familiar with what reachers stature should be I enjoyed the first movie in spite of not being the biggest Tom cruise fan in general. It also has one of my favorite movie lines
Jack Reacher:
“You think I'm a hero? I am not a hero. I'm a drifter with nothing to lose. Now you killed that girl to put me in a frame. I mean to beat you to death and drink your blood from a boot! Now this is how it's gonna work.”

I am 5 episodes in and really liking it. Trying to spread it out a bit so it’s not over so quick but honestly will probably finish it tonight. There were a couple of lines in the show I heard Tom cruise’s delivery in my head.

Having not been familiar with what reachers stature should be I enjoyed the first movie in spite of not being the biggest Tom cruise fan in general. It also has one of my favorite movie lines
Jack Reacher:
“You think I'm a hero? I am not a hero. I'm a drifter with nothing to lose. Now you killed that girl to put me in a frame. I mean to beat you to death and drink your blood from a boot! Now this is how it's gonna work.”
I really liked the first film. Especially the "Its not 5 against 1, probably more like 3 against 1" speech.

I loved the first Jack Reacher movie despite the fact that Tom Cruise was about 2/3rd undersized so when they announced the show, I looked forward to it. 5 episodes in and I'm loving every minute of it!

Here's a somewhat accurate size comparison of the two Reachers. :p
Cupace20220208192745_edit_992805210264.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back