Re-make of "Dune"

Lords of the Rings paved literature for Dune and its story/world. Difficult to "get" Dune with one movie. Sure, the style has changed to make it more appealing to the new gen (not going verbatim as Lynch did). This is another variation. The trailer looks good and I'm eager to see the movie (y) :cool:.

I read the book back in 1977, having seen a reference to it in a Star Wars souvenir book ( an image of See Threepio in the desert with a skeleton of what looks like a sand worm.). I thought it was fantastic but certainly not as good as Lord of the Rings. I reread Dune 2 years ago. its still great and a better read the second time. I still have a liking for David Lynch‘ s movie but sometimes think of what Ridley Scott could have done with it. But then we wouldn’t have Blade Runner.
Really looking forward to the release of the remake.

Insight Editions is releasing am autographed 'Making of' & photography book set for $595.

Not really interested in the limited extras, but I'm looking forward to the regular editions.

Lords of the Rings paved literature for Dune and its story/world. Difficult to "get" Dune with one movie. Sure, the style has changed to make it more appealing to the new gen (not going verbatim as Lynch did). This is another variation. The trailer looks good and I'm eager to see the movie (y) :cool:.
So did the 1001 Nights, Dune is inspired by some of these Arabian classic stories

An 8 minutes standing ovation at the Venice Film Festival...some movie critiques making reference to "2001 A Space Odyssey" for its breath, story, huge vistas and many of the shots showing the human size within its natural environment.
It does have some Amazing "David Lean" panoramic type shots.
I was always impressed by the way Star gate was filmed, similar and really made you feel like you were watching an Epic... Which obviously it was.

DV's DUNE was always going to generate mixed reviews. Big, ambitious sci-fi pictures tend to polarize critics (see "Forbidden Planet", "2001", "Star Wars"(`77), and "Blade Runner"). I remain optimistic, although I am disappointed DV wasn't able to secure an upfront commitment from Warner Bros. to shoot both parts simultaneously. I can understand the studio wanting to hedge their bets, but I imagine it will create narrative challenges if and when it comes time to connect the dots between the 2 parts (with most features, it's hard to deliver a strong ending (editorially) without going back and tweaking the beginning). Assuming DV does get to complete his epic, audiences won't be able to fairly judge the finished product until the entire work has been fully integrated as a single work. Still, here's hoping Part 1 performs well enough to warrant a Part 2.

I can understand the studio wanting to hedge their bets, but I imagine it will create narrative challenges if and when it comes time to connect the dots between the 2 parts (with most features, it's hard to deliver a strong ending (editorially) without going back and tweaking the beginning). Assuming DV does get to complete his epic, audiences won't be able to fairly judge the finished product until the entire work has been fully integrated as a single work. Still, here's hoping Part 1 performs well enough to warrant a Part 2.

I don't understand how there might be issues. They have the framework of the story in the form of the book and information from other canon sources. Brian Herbert is an EP on the film and they'd be foolish not to use him to help connect those dots.

My comment was less about the contents of the story than with the way the story is told. Shaping a movie is not exactly a linear process; there’s a lot of editorial jumping around to find the right tone, pace, expositional beats, etc. Just look at all the variations the “Lord of the Rings” pictures went through between their initial theatrical release and subsequent Home Entertainment release. PJ did a lot of narrative dialing, sweetening, and reshooting after the theatrical debut of “Return of the King” in order to arrive at a cohesive final cut of the entire saga (and he had the benefit of having shot all three films simultaneously). I’m not saying DUNE Part 2 is creatively screwed (assuming it gets made), but I do expect there to be a decent amount of reshooting and editorial revising before DV arrives at a final cut he’s happy with. In the meantime, I suspect DUNE Part 1 will get its best reviews from those critics willing to cut it some slack as a work-in-progress.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back