Ray Lai Concept SNW/TOS/DSC Phaser Rifle

LimeyBuilds

Just an initial test of this hollow version SNW/TOS Ray Lai Concept (based on a design made for DSC). Not tested mechanisms yet, just a general fitting test:
(Also this thing, without all the parts yet, weighs about 1.5KG)

PXL_20231006_141935930.jpg

PXL_20231006_111138398.jpg

IMG_20231006_152048.jpg

IMG_20231006_152112.jpg

I am loathed to admit it, because I have very strong opinions about 3d printing, but I really like this. It's better than what they used in the show. Very reminiscent of the original rifle. Good luck with this new version. I would be interested in it when perfected. It would compliment my TOS rifle very nicely.

Last edited:
I am loathed to admit it, because I have very strong opinions about 3d printing, but I really like this. It's better than what they used in the show. Very reminiscent of the original rifle. Good luck with this new version. I would interested in it when perfected. It would compliment my TOS rifle very nicely.
Well, one important thing to consider is that molding and casting from pieced-together props was how they did it decades ago, as that was the most effective method of the time. It was the best way for them to achieve their work. Now, 3D modelling and printing is, and those are the methods used in TV and movies more often than not these days. to mold a piece in silicone costs a fortune in comparison to liquid resin and hitting replay on the printer. Fans are using the same techniques now as the studios, just like they used to in the 90s.

Agreed. I made mine from masters, molds and casting and it did cost a fortune. Never did figure out what I spent and do not want to know. I will probably never do that again. I'm curious to know if yours will have an extendable shoulder stock and rotating power coil.

Agreed. I made mine from masters, molds and casting and it did cost a fortune. Never did figure out what I spent and do not want to know. I will probably never do that again. I'm curious to know if yours will have an extendable shoulder stock and rotating power coil.
To make my model match the concept work, the coils are not formed in an equilateral triangle so rotation isn't possible. The rear stock does extend, and the fore grip is spring-action, plus it has a working trigger and power on/off switch in the scope.
V2a.jpg

1696685602127.jpeg

Absolutely stunning model. I’ve been playing around with the static/solid version you made available for purchase and have so many ideas on how to finish it off.

Another incredible opportunity for builders. Well done, sir!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back