Raiders Golden Idol pedestal - Finished

MAKE BELIEVE

Master Member
Getting started with this new project (XP foam cuted and sanded)

PIC1.jpg PIC2.jpg PIC3.jpg PIC4.jpg

Sorry, probably a bit late to save you time but was going to say you can search an online auction site for something called a "cake dummy". That is apparently how they make the tiered wedding cakes and it's made from polystyrene. Only costs about £5 and already the perfect shape and size if you get 2 sizes stacked. Just gauge out chunks to make rocky and paint it.
Good work so far though! What paint are you using? I've still to get round you making one myself.

@ 00fil00 - thanks for the tip, but yes bit late. But it has been great creating this from scratch.
I'm using water based paint and it's coming along without any problems.

Painting and "aging" the base

PIC1.jpg PIC2.jpg PIC3.jpg PIC4.jpg PIC5.jpg

Looks so good! You thinking about adding green for moss? Looking at yours is giving me ideas for my own. Could do a green with gloss clear coat to do slime, or add those bushes for model trains for a lychany 3d moss. Can't wait to see yours done!

@ 00fil00 - thank you. I actually did a gloss clear coat on the smaller circle to give it a "wet" look but didn't like the result so got back to the matt paint.
Because of the place were I'll display it, my base is smaller than the original prop so there's not much room for a lot of "bushes".
Once it's Christmas time it was not difficult at all to find those bushes for Nativity scenes.
Anyway here's the final "possible" result (pay no attention to the idol once it's not accurate - it's the only one I have so it'll do for now). Thanks for watching and for all the feedback.

PIC1.jpg PIC2.jpg PIC3.jpg PIC4.jpg PIC5.jpg PIC6.jpg

I actually did a gloss clear coat on the smaller circle to give it a "wet" look but didn't like the result so got back to the matt paint.
Looks so good man, can't believe the great detail of the pattern. Will be lookin back at your pics when I make my own! Need another detolf case first.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back