Limited Run R2-D2 True Historic Head Bearing Outer Race - Kenny Version (Shipped)

r2maker

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
ANH Production Accurate Head Bearing Outer Race (Kenny Version)

This is a project run for 10 1:1 scale aluminum head bearings that are historically accurate to the first film.
These are accurate reproduction of the light weight versions that are seen on most of the ANH Kenny units.
This set of 10 will be delivered by the machinist and ready to start shipping on 03/31/2021

2019-11-11 10.20.33.jpg

This design comes from both the actual physical 1976 blueprints (see photos) as well as input from Neil Anderson who was the machinist who fabricated the originals in 1976. These have been meticulously validated.

What's included in this project run?

This is the first or a 2 project run.
This is the outer half of the bear that can be seen externally.
The parts included are 1 outer 18-1/4" solid aluminum outer bearing and 3 stainless steel locating pins, for a total of 4 components.
The price per set is $450.00 for the 4 components and the shipping containers and packaging. The buyer will need to cover the actual cost of shipping.

What will be included in the follow on project run?

The frame ring, inner bearing brackets, and inner nylon bearing are shown for reference only and will be done very soon as a separate run.
The parts will include 3 mounting brackets, 3 nylon inner bearings, 3 studs, and 6 bolts.
The price per set is $100.00 for the 15components and the shipping containers and packaging. The buyer will need to cover the actual cost of shipping.

How many are available?

01-$450 - (Delivered) - 03/02/2021
02-$450 - (Delivered) - 03/02/2021
03-$450 - (Delivered) - 03/04/2021
04-$450 - (Delivered) - 03/07/2021
05-$450 - (SOLD) - 03/14/2021
06-$450 - (SOLD) - 03/14/2021
07-$450 - (Pending) - 04/02/2021
08-Available
09-Available
10-Available

Background video on the 3 different ANH head bearings

Specification - The Outer Race

The outer race is what is visible from the exterior of the prop.
This is a solid piece of aluminum on which the head sits.
This outer race rotates with the dome.

2019-07-05 12.53.22.jpg

2019-07-05 13.51.17.jpg

2019-07-20 12.09.40.jpg

2019-07-20 12.43.27-1.jpg

Specification - Head Locating Pins

The head on the original props sat on the outer race on 3 locating pins.
The head could be easy removed and reinstalled

2019-11-10 13.45.38-1.jpg

2019-11-10 13.45.58-1.jpg

2019-11-11 10.21.51.jpg

Preview of the next run

The next run will be submitted on 4/1/2021
This run will be for the components needed for the internal inner race of the bearing.

2019-10-21 12.47.31 - Copy.jpg

2019-10-21 12.48.26.jpg

Preview of the complete assembly

Combining this Outer Bearing project run and the next Inner Bearing project run results in a faithful replica of the original ANH head bearing.

2019-11-11 10.22.04.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a screen grab showing that the head outer bearing and locating pins actually made it onto film in A New Hope.

4k-swnewhope-starwarsscreencaps.com-20910.jpg

Here is a screen grab showing that the head outer bearing and locating pins actually made it onto film in A New Hope.

Thanks Jess. That is a great screenshot. One thing to note is that particular unit has the solid head race which did make it on film. This project run is for the version that is on the units with Kenny inside which has the weight relief holes in it.

So, this is the lower silver ring, right? The one that the astromech.net builds use to cover the rockler bearing would just not be used?

Man, I wish I had 600$ to spare right now, because this would be awesome to use. For the sake of your bank account, though, I sure hope you sell all these before I can afford one.

So, this is the lower silver ring, right? The one ... to cover the rockler bearing would just not be used?

Man, I wish I had 600$ to spare right now, because this would be awesome to use. For the sake of your bank account, though, I sure hope you sell all these before I can afford oe.

This is a project run of a historically accurate replica of what the head bearing on the original 1976 Kenny units part of the OpenR2 open source spec.

For this authentic design you won’t need the rockler bearing as this is the outer outer race of the bearing assembly. It’s a completely functional bearing like on the originals.

Jess.

This project run is a historically accurate replica of what the head bearing on the original 1976 Kenny units.

You won’t need the rockler bearing as this is the outer outer race of the bearing assembly. It’s functional.

The inner pieces of the bearing (brackets, bolts, nuts, and nylon wedge) are shown in some of the pictures but will be a second project immediacy following this one)

No, I understood that much.

What I was asking was: is this part visible on the outside of the finished droid?

The modern recreations have the silver dome, then a blue (on R2-D2) ring, and then another silver ring, all joined together as part of the dome; on the modern design, that bottom silver ring is purely a decorative element to hide the modern bearing.

From the pictures, it looks to me like this, 1976-accurate bearing, is that bottom silver ring, and that the dome comes off at the blue ring. Thus, the bearing race is visible on the outside of the droid.

Is that impression correct?

(Apologies if this is off-topic for the thread. I've tried to find this on the OpenR2 forum but it seems like most of the threads there are hidden.)

Man, I wish I had 600$ to spare right now, because this would be awesome to use.

These should be really really nice.

This project run in this post is for the outer portion of the bearing. In about a week we will order another set of the brackets, bolts, nuts, and nylon inner race ... that will turn this into a real bearing.

From the pictures, it looks to me like this, 1976-accurate bearing, is that bottom silver ring, and that the dome comes off at the blue ring. Thus, the bearing race is visible on the outside of the droid.

Absolutely. On the original props from the first 1977 movie, the bottom bare aluminum 1" ring was the exposed outer race of the head bearing.

on the modern design, that bottom silver ring is purely a decorative element to hide the modern bearing

I'm not 100% what the modern sequel droids looks for Kenny look like.
Here is a prequel pic, showing the same functional bearing (this one without the weight relief holes)
You can see the head locating pins, the inner bearing brackets, the nuts and the bolts.

Test.jpg

Here some great 1976 footage showing the original head bearing in action.
The weight holes, the brackets, the head locating pins are are visible.
You can also see that the visible aluminum portion bearing visibly rotates from the outside.

Here is some more footage from the Kenny tribute real from Celebration.
When they zoom out you can see the solid aluminum outer bearing, the head locating pins, the brackets, bolts, nuts, and nylon inner bearing surfaces.
It goes by fast so be prepared to pause it.

This is a quick 5 minute video we made for the solidworks convension last month.
This should explanation the 3 variants of head bearings used in the first film and how the bearing works.

My
Internet has been so screwed up I don’t think my post went through

Does this fit Darren’s aluminum domes?

My

This is the batch of ANH Alloy Head Bearing that I have now. This is the RC version with no weight relief holes. In this Video I had not yet put lubricant on the bearing, so this is raw nylon on raw alumnin.

My

Here is a Hydroform dome on top of the bearing. This is still no lubricant, so its still raw aluminum on raw nylon.

My

There will be a third run immediately following the second inner bearing run (brackets and nylon wedges)
This run will be for an ANH correct replica dome flange.
This flange will fit inside any of the spun18-1/4" domes and is how the dome interfaces with the Alloy Head Race.

1615422823213.png

The YouTube video's of the hydro form were made with a 3D printed placeholders (done as three pieces from my small print bed)
But in the next few weeks we will have an aluminum prototype that is a full aluminum ANH period correct accurate flange.

2019-11-17 21.43.07.jpg

A quick progress update on the manufacturing.

The aluminum outer race with weight relief holes...

Update_1.PNG

The stainless steel dome locating pins...

Update_2.PNG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back