R.I.P. Andy Rooney

0neiros

Master Member
92 years old and just weeks after he retired from 60 minutes. Still, 33 years a good run, and some of his observations were great.

CNN Breaking News BreakingNews@mail.cnn.com http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=1311182

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Longtime CBS News commentator Andy Rooney has died, CBS News reported Saturday. He was 92.

He had been hospitalized after suffering "serious complications" following minor surgery last month.

Rooney got his start in journalism during World War II, when he wrote for the Stars and Stripes, and he joined CBS in 1949 as a writer for Arthur Godfrey's radio and television entertainment show.

He went on to collaborate between 1962 and 1968 on a series of essays with his friend, the late newsman Harry Reasoner.

He joined "60 Minutes" in 1978, according to CBS, beginning decades of show-ending essays on topics as varied as looking for a job ("We need people who can actually do things. We have too many bosses and too few workers. More college graduates ought to become plumbers or electricians, then go home at night and read Shakespeare."); his bushy eyebrows ("I try to look nice. I comb my hair, I tie my tie, I put on a jac ket, but I draw the line when it comes to trimming my eyebrows. You work with what you got."); the "shock and awe" campaign that started the Iraq War in 2003 (the phrase "makes us look like foolish braggarts.")

Rooney announced on October 2, 2011, in his 1,097th essay for "60 Minutes" that he would no longer appear regularly.

He was the only good part of that show anymore. He spoke what a lot of people of his generations and even babyboomers were thinking.

While sometimes I think he took it too far it was always a pleasure watching him.

Rest easy old friend....:(

I didn't always agree with what he had to say, but he knew how to write and make you think. I often hear his voice when I am reading Mic Davis responses on the forum.

Mic, it's not an insult. Like Rooney, I just think you are often misunderstood.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back