Question on setting ebay pricing

bunsy86

My other half was involved in several movies including Judge Dredd. We have Judge Dredd art we are putting up on ebay right now.

I realize most of you like to collect screen used prop art, and what we have is mostly production art -- i.e., concept art -- but wondered whether any of you could give me an idea of how to set the pricing on items.

If we set the price really low -- say, around $35 -- it will sell. Yet on movie memorabilia or commercial sites, including this forum's sponsor, the Propstore, this same type of artwork goes for 5-10x that price.

How do you figure out what to price production concept art at?

Unfortuantely all of this is really subjective and ultimately is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. There are a lot of Dredd fans, so you're in good shape there. Keep in mind Propstore and other retail sites generally are little higher because of the retail markup/overhead/authentication etc... If you can prove they worked on the movie and include some kind of notarized LOA that would probably help you bump the price if you sold it direct on eBay. You can also check with Screenused to see if they would take the pieces on consignment. Typically they will sell it for you, include their own COA and then keep 20% of the retail. eBay/Paypal together will get you for about 13%... so not a big difference and the price you ultimately get with their site or auction may be higher. I'm not sure if Propstore does consignments, but their FAQ does say they purchase items. Of course they have to make a profit, so not sure what the percentage would be.

Last edited:
I would recommend calculating a net amount you would be comfortable to sell a piece at, and set the gross as a starting price in the auction. If you get only one bid, you're therefore OK. More would be a bonus.

As Luke said above, make sure you have enough documentation to back your listing authenticity :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back