Question on Repairing a Cowl and on What is going on

shenphong

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Any ideas on how to patch/fix this? I have an '89 batman cowl that was picked up from therpf forum years ago. While moving it around today, started to see crumbling/tearing away in one spot. Checked the cowl but it appears to just be focused on that one spot (bad mix, weak spot?) any advice on how to repair this? about nickel sized and just such a shame to see it like that now. Its urethane and frankly never dealt with something like this before as it was stored pretty safely away from sunlight.

ngrj1wbl.jpg

ZbohkBkl.jpg

cYCN8Mjl.jpg

Looks like dry rot to me. The rubber is drying out and becoming crumbly and breaking away. Good news is you CAN patch it using liquid latex, but the best advice I can give is to be keeping your cowl in a moderately cool, dark environment, and to REALLY make sure you powder the mask with cornstarch after each wearing. If you want to be extra careful, I've seen people who have only handled their masks with rubber gloves on to prevent any oils getting into the rubber. If it's a display only piece, you can have it foam filled, which will make it last much much longer.

Liquid latex will not bond to urethane. So don't do that. Only urethane will bond with urethane. I would tape the hole closed from one side and fill it with sikaflex221 in black. Thats about the only option I see. And I wouldn't try to wear it ever.

Liquid latex will not bond to urethane. So don't do that. Only urethane will bond with urethane. I would tape the hole closed from one side and fill it with sikaflex221 in black. Thats about the only option I see. And I wouldn't try to wear it ever.
Ah, did not realize that. (y)

thanks, I've never worn it myself, its only been for display and I plan to keep it that way.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back