Question about Worbla

midnightblu

I was thinking of using foam wrapped in Worbla to make a holster for my Dredd costume and was wondering how stiff is Worbla. I have seen pictures of the sheets rolled up which seems to suggest it's not that rigid. As it is pretty expensive to buy I would hate to buy a sheet then find out it's not the right material for the job. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I was thinking of using foam wrapped in Worbla to make a holster for my Dredd costume and was wondering how stiff is Worbla. I have seen pictures of the sheets rolled up which seems to suggest it's not that rigid. As it is pretty expensive to buy I would hate to buy a sheet then find out it's not the right material for the job. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Worbla on its own is about as thick and rigid as flat, non-corrugated cardboard of the same thickness (ETA: Think 1-1.5mm thick). It becomes pliable when heated and tends to be slightly more stiff after it's cooled (compared to prior to heating). It becomes a lot stiffer if you use double layers and if you sandwich thinner craft foam in between, there will be some inherent additional support as well as flexibility during heating.

If you're talking about thicker EVA foam, it will lie rather well on it, but I wouldn't use it for any structurally dependant pieces if you're only going to use a single layer of Worbla on top of a piece of EVA that would otherwise bend. There is also a greater possibility that you will form air bubbles from heating Worbla over EVA foam, since it's got much more volume than thinner craft foam, often has surface texture, and will shrink a bit from the heat.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add - I also like to make thicker pieces from scrap. If you have a spare pasta maker around, keep a bag full of scrap Worbla for heating down and rolling down flat later. Doing it this way allows you to create sheets of pretty much any thickness between 1 and 3mm, and you'd be surprised at how much of a difference this can make in terms of stiffness.

Thanks for the info and tips Inkblot, especially about the pasta maker sounds like there would be little or no waste at all. I was going to use 1/4 inch EVA and heat that around a wooden form and then mold the worbla around the foam.I noticed you are from Toronto do you know of somewhere local that sells worbla or do you get it online. I saw it on cosplay supplies which has it for $85 CND a sheet and that's with free shipping. Is that a good price per sheet ?

Thanks again.

RE: waste or lack thereof: that's true, I seldom generate waste when working with Worbla. Every scrap piece that doesn't get used in a larger cut usually gets either used as is or gets melted down and pressed back in to sheets. A bag of roughly 1-1.5kg in scrap tends to generate maybe five or six long strips of 1mm Worbla, between 7-15mm wide. Depending on how careful you are, the strips may or may not wrinkle, but a little heat will set them straight again.

RecyclingWorbla.jpg

If you are going to mold the Worbla around a large piece, I'd suggest heating the Worbla as evenly as possible to the point where it's as pliable as soft leather and lay it down with as consistent pressure all around as possible. You will probably have to go back at least a couple times and pierce areas where there's been bubbling, then press air out. Any remaining openings can be sanded down and surfaced later.

I do just order from Cosplaysupplies - I'm not aware of any other Canadian distributor unfortunately. I do buy the jumbo sheets at $85 each, which is a bit cheaper than buying any of the smaller sizes, and the free shipping is helpful. Also, they are really good about shipping quickly and fast. Usually I have what I ordered within 2-4 days, sometimes less, since they are in town. If you need the material urgently, they sometimes also allow for pickup if you notify them at time of ordering (and depending on what you are ordering - I find their Worbla tends to get shipped from Etobicoke. Their Kobracast gets shipped from somewhere in Colorado).

I made my Dredd holster out of a single sheet of Kydex, like a lot of gun holsters are made. $10 for a 12"X12" sheet at Tandy Leather, or can be ordered online. Shaped with a heat gun around a 2X4 board. Very dense and cutting it isn't a breeze, but it's pretty much the real deal and a lot cheaper than a roll of Worbla.
Now, having said that, I love Worbla. It is amazingly easy to work with, and a lot stiffer than you may be thinking it is - especially when double layered and/or sandwiching foam, like Ink said.

.406140107.jpg

Thanks again for all your help Inkblot. i will definitely give the worbla a try now i know you can just reuse it if I screw things up. Glad to hear that Cosplaysupplies is fast and reliable will order some from them. Got lots of ideas for it other than the holster.

Thanks for the info on the kydex, mighty. I was going to try the Kydex but it was $26 for a 9 x 12 piece (and i have to make two of them) on Amazon. We have a Tandy close to us so i will see if they have any.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way Mighty your holster looks fantastic hope mine comes out half as good. Is that the natural texture of the kydex or did you do something to it ?

Hi, I have a bit of a different Kydex question. Will a thin layer of Worbla stick to a layer of Kydex. I'm trying to make a replica armor corset (think Cersei from GoT) and I want to use Kydex for a solid (an reasonably priced) base, with a layer of Worbla to allow for details. I know Worbla will stick to Worbla, but will it stick to Kydex?

Worbla on its own is about as thick and rigid as flat, non-corrugated cardboard of the same thickness (ETA: Think 1-1.5mm thick). It becomes pliable when heated and tends to be slightly more stiff after it's cooled (compared to prior to heating). It becomes a lot stiffer if you use double layers and if you sandwich thinner craft foam in between, there will be some inherent additional support as well as flexibility during heating.

If you're talking about thicker EVA foam, it will lie rather well on it, but I wouldn't use it for any structurally dependant pieces if you're only going to use a single layer of Worbla on top of a piece of EVA that would otherwise bend. There is also a greater possibility that you will form air bubbles from heating Worbla over EVA foam, since it's got much more volume than thinner craft foam, often has surface texture, and will shrink a bit from the heat.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add - I also like to make thicker pieces from scrap. If you have a spare pasta maker around, keep a bag full of scrap Worbla for heating down and rolling down flat later. Doing it this way allows you to create sheets of pretty much any thickness between 1 and 3mm, and you'd be surprised at how much of a difference this can make in terms of stiffness.
So it wouldn't be the best idea for making a model car big enough for a 1/3 scale doll to sit in? Weird, I know, especially on a costuming forum, but the material I need has similar requirements to cosplay armor in several ways--it needs to be stiff, curve-able, and easy enough for a hobbyist without special equipment to use. And if not Worbla, what else might you recommend?

I used regular thickness Worbla heater up and flattened over a cut piece of foam for my Dredd body armor pieces, they turned out nice and rigid.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back