Question about helmets & magnets.

Murdoch

Sr Member
Hey folks just got some magnets and i was wondering what is the best way of securring them. My helmet is a resined F/G with rondo. Thanx guys...GM

Re: Question about helmets & magnets.

What kind of helmet? If there is a pic, I can't see it due to work filters. What are you trying to attach/detach?

I have always used Magic Sculpt to secure the magnets to one side. I put them in place, and let get semi-hard (Magic Sculpt takes hours to harden completely), and add a little Vaseline to the surface so that my fingers don't stick to the surface while smoothing. I smooth it down to its near final shap and let harden completely.

Next: Vaseline everything that you don't want sticking, and mate new magnets to the magnets in the hardened Magic Sculpt. Then put the two maching pieces together and secure with tape or hot glue. The two parts need to be mated and secure (not able to move). Now come in with more Magic Sculpt and press it onto the new magnets, and form it to mate with the hardened Magic scupt. Again, use Vaseline on the Magic sculpt to get a smooth surface. Wait until hardened, and separate the two pieces. If you added enough Vaseline, they should come appart easily, and will return to their mated position and hold due to magnetic attraction.

There is a chance that some of the ridged Magic Sculpt might bind up and prevent smooth mating and unmating the two halves. A little sanding/filing will take care of it.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Be sure to use Rare Earth Magnets, and not just magnets!

www.k&jmagnetics.com

Re: Question about helmets & magnets.

I am curious as to why you say to use rare earth magnets instead of regular old magnets? Some adverse effects or something?

Rare Earth magnets are the strongest magnets to be found. The ordinary magnets that you would buy at the hardware store aren't strong enough. To get a magnetic force strong enough to hold a costume piece together under the stress of wearing it, you would need a pretty large set of magnets.

I have had good luck securing the collars of my clone helmets with 1/8" cylindrical mags. K&J has a huge selection by size, shape, and polar direction.

It's a Iron man helmet. No pics yet, waiting for the finished piece before displaying. My earlier work i find to be unsatifactory so i am now redoing a build in pep instead of foam with a new helmet. But yes i am using rare earth magnets, and holy crap are they strong...GM

My two cents is rare earth magnets for sure, my Mark 7 is held together wonderfully with them. For attaching, I use Gorilla glue-gotta be something really strong, or they'll just pull off when you try to open whatever you are closing.

My two cents is rare earth magnets for sure, my Mark 7 is held together wonderfully with them. For attaching, I use Gorilla glue-gotta be something really strong, or they'll just pull off when you try to open whatever you are closing.
So gorilla glue over the fibre-glass holds fine? I have'nt used gorilla glue but i am familiar. I was considering Goop. I had used goop on my motorcycle and it was awesome...GM

So gorilla glue over the fibre-glass holds fine? I have'nt used gorilla glue but i am familiar. I was considering Goop. I had used goop on my motorcycle and it was awesome...GM
Like Kevin says, counter-sink for sure. Just dampen both areas, apply and clamp into place.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back