Quantum Leap to return. NBC picked up the sequel

I was excited to hear that NBC picked up Quantum Leap as a sequel, but a little bummed that they haven’t named Scott Bakula as returning. Hopefully they are holding out announcing it snd he will reprise the role of Sam.

Pumped for this....
They really need to get the Casting spot on though.

If it follows the path of every other “reboot” out there, I can make some predictions on the path this one will take…

(Boy, I sure sound negative.)

I think it’s appropriate that Sam Beckett is not involved; recall, in the finale, they confirmed that he never returned home. I sort of like where they left his story.

Last edited:
If it follows the path of every other “reboot” out there, I can make some predictions on the path this one will take…

It is appropriate that Sam Beckett is not involved; recall, in the finale, they confirmed that he never returned home.
you're right - a new team according to the vague synopsis on IMDB...one of my younger brothers favorite shows way back when, he would be amazed at the amount of content if he were alive today (edit - and the volume of projects that are not greenlit, but this was a good series back then)

Just leave it alone. The original was perfect.
They could bring back Sam Beckett as a broken and bitter man, hiding on a desert island and refusing to do any more “leaping”, only to be shown the error of his ways by a young uber-genius who knows even more about the science of leaping than Sam ever imagined.

I’ll bet that would bring in the viewers.

Or, they can leave the character alone and out of this story.

Which would you all prefer?

Last edited:
There were a couple times in the original series that they showed Sam to be tired of leaping and ready to quit. The finale addresses that. Also they did bring in a young uber genius that knew more about time travel than Sam. It was his own daughter. As for "moralizing" well the original was full of that. That was the very premise of the show, stated plain as day in each opening. To put right what once went wrong. The show was not afraid of getting neck deep in socio political issues. If that sort of thing bothers you, fine, but for this show to continue on in the original series footsteps, that's exactly what they'd have to do.

There were a couple times in the original series that they showed Sam to be tired of leaping and ready to quit. The finale addresses that. Also they did bring in a young uber genius that knew more about time travel than Sam. It was his own daughter. As for "moralizing" well the original was full of that. That was the very premise of the show, stated plain as day in each opening. To put right what once went wrong. The show was not afraid of getting neck deep in socio political issues. If that sort of thing bothers you, fine, but for this show to continue on in the original series footsteps, that's exactly what they'd have to do.
I know what the show was, I watched it when I was young. The kind of moralizing the show did then was very different than the kind of moralizing that's done now.

I don't trust that many modern writers would be able to address current affairs or history with any tact or subtlety. While morality was baked into the DNA of the original show, and frankly a huge part of it's appeal, given the current state of things I wonder how well that would translate to modern audiences.

In our day and age, morality, politics, religion, sexuality, gender, and so many hot button issues are all viewed through a subjective lens with far more ambiguity than in the past, so in order to work well as a story, the writers would have to be super competent to walk that line of bringing certain moral lessons to an audience without 1. offending anyone or 2. saying anything significant enough to be effective as a story. This is a huge part of my concern over the next Indiana Jones film. So much of how the past is portrayed is through modern sensibilities rather than being objective enough to remember that while we may have abandoned bad ideas in the present, in the past those very ideas were the norm. Whether for good or ill, if you whitewash history, you can totally mislead an audience.

I think we tend to underestimate how controversial some things used to be.

Remember when James Earl Jones was cast as an Admiral in 'Hunt for Red October'? It was still an unusual choice at the time simply because he was black. That was in 1990. It was still markedly "progressive" to see Morgan Freeman as the US president in 'Deep Impact' in 1998.

Today we watch those movies and we don't pick up on anything controversial or risky or PC about it. We are seeing them through modern eyes. But I guarantee you there were a few racist types grumbling when they came out.

Was 'Quantum Leap' really without heavy-handed PC agendas a generation ago? Or did its positions just start looking more conventional in hindsight as the culture evolved?

I think we tend to underestimate how controversial some things used to be.

Remember when James Earl Jones was cast as an Admiral in 'Hunt for Red October'? It was still an unusual choice at the time simply because he was black. That was in 1990. It was still markedly "progressive" to see Morgan Freeman as the US president in 'Deep Impact' in 1998.

Today we watch those movies and we don't pick up on anything controversial or risky or PC about it. We are seeing them through modern eyes. But I guarantee you there were a few racist types grumbling when they came out.
So true. We just didn’t have the social media to see the abundance of hateful remarks about shows like we do today. There was just as much animosity towards castings and subject matter, we just didn’t have to read it from anonymous keyboard trolls who feel they can say anything today.

The problem is that there are almost no nuetral spaces that we can all agree on. Entertainment used to be a place where we could set aside our differences and have fun together. If we can't even discuss entertainment with any decorum, it's no wonder that our civil discourse is in the gutter.

Probably someone goes looking for Sam and gets caught up in the same cycle that he was in.

I always felt that Sam should have jumped into himself before he first stepped into the accelerator. That way ‘Sam’ would have kept jumping into different people yet he got to break the cycle and stay home.

So true. We just didn’t have the social media to see the abundance of hateful remarks about shows like we do today. There was just as much animosity towards castings and subject matter, we just didn’t have to read it from anonymous keyboard trolls who feel they can say anything today.
Back then the only way to get even a level or argument about TV/Cable was to read it in NME in the UK or similar music publications who had up and coming reviewers commenting on all types of media back then. Replying by mail was all we knew back then..
The NME(New Musical Express) would get their resident cartoonist to illustrate the piece and more often than not be given a good page which wasn't bas for a Newspaper sized publication.
For years I had mine dating from 80 onwards stored in mums loft, vthat was until it was noticed the joists were bowing and causing cracks upstairs oops!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back