QMX New Releases: Trek, Stargate, DW, WH13 PICS PG.2

It's the right knob, they neglected to grind down the skirt.

It's you continued use of absolutes like this that bothers me, I have identified multiple companies that make knobs in the profile seen on the left knob... So to say that it's brand A with a sanded down skirt vs brand B that already has a thinner skirt is careless... There are little differences between the brands, from the indent for the white markings being recessed different depths to some brands simply printing the white on the surface without any indent... Same with the skirt height, it varies from brand to brand, as does other small details... I don't have many of the knobs on hand right now but there is an example of two I do have on hand to show the slight variations between brands, they are attached... And again who knows what knob was used on what version of the production units, just because one picture leads towards a certain knobs doesn't mean they all used that same knob and/or it wasn't swapped at some point during production...

Problem is exoray i have been messing with electronics for 30+ years and know how the industry works. I was building computer control systems for production and packaging machines long before props was a hobby. Those knobs are designed and made for abuse in industrial settings. You will not find them made with thin skirts. Thin skirts break easily and kind of defeats the purpose. The problem with you arguments is i post pics of exactly tha same parts and you say it's up to interpretation but you show no positive proof that i am wrong. Only great paragraphs about how i might be wrong. Proofs in the pudding buddy. Show me a pics of a center knob not made by Davies with the EXACT same SHARP flutes that stop abruptly at the bottom. Not something from china that looks close. While your at it show me a pic of ANY UNMODIFIED bakelite knob that has a thin skirt like the Farns knob.

and again who knows what knob was used on what version of the production units, just because one picture leads towards a certain knobs doesn't mean they all used that same knob and/or it wasn't swapped at some point during production...

All I can tell you is that if you check out the Farnsworth research thread (there's 55 pages) there isn't a single image from season 1 that shows the knob with a thick skirt.

You can say that they might have swapped out the knob at some point during the productionof season 1, but as long as there's no photo showing this...well, you get my drift.

Look, Im not saying burn down QMX, Im just pointing out the things which they should have gotten right.....Especially considering the $300 price tag.

There are several people who have already built there own Farnsworth from found parts ( cost about $115), and I can tell you that most of them are just as, or more accurate than the one by QMX.
I myself built one and I was going to get a new, and more accurate, faceplate but just as I was about to, QMX sent out a C&D.
The funny thing is, if I had gotten a new second faceplate, the total cost would still have been cheaper than QMX.

Oh well...

You will not find them made with thin skirts. Thin skirts break easily and kind of defeats the purpose. The problem with you arguments is i post pics of exactly tha same parts and you say it's up to interpretation but you show no positive proof that i am wrong.

See my attached image for 'proof positive' your "You will not find them made with thin skirts" above is in fact wrong yet again... Look at your 1910 knob and tell me again that "You will not find them made with thin skirts"

What was that nonsense you said in regards to copyright on these knobs?

And didn't you say no one makes knobs is the shape of the 1910 except Davies?

Show me ANY screen capture that proves that the middle knob has a setscrew like the Davies?

What you posted was 2 knobs with thick skirts. Just one is thicker than the other. Thin shirt is what is on the farnsworth.

You are mistaken, I said there are no copies of the 1910 Davies. What you posted was a pic of a Davies 1900 copy. And for the record there may be copies of the Davies 1910, but seriously, is that your argument? They may have made it with a cheap knockoff knob. I'm sorry i am done arguing with this logic. The Farns is made in the US with old radio parts and they went to taiwan to get that knob. THAT makes sense. HAHA.

Some more fodder. Here is the Davies 1900 AND the tai fake you brought up. Even the 1900 and the fake have setscrews. If you were to grind this knob down to the right size the setscrew hole would be half gone. And never mind the fact that if there is no setscrew how do you hold the knob on? Glue? Another note, because the 1900 has no skirt the indicator (white line) is on the top. No farnsworth has a center knob with a white line on top.

1900h-setscrew.jpg

The Farns is made in the US with old radio parts and they went to taiwan to get that knob. THAT makes sense. HAHA.

Yeah because there are not any made in Taiwan, Japan or China knobs anywhere to be found in the US the only way to get them is to go to Asia, HAHA indeed...

Old radio parts? These knobs are far more common on misc equipment then radios that generally used fancier proprietary designs... Heck the "MXR" knob is termed as such because it was used on the Dunlop MXR guitar pedals...

What you posted was 2 knobs with thick skirts. Just one is thicker than the other. Thin shirt is what is on the farnsworth.

This is your argument? Are you sure it's thin and not simply less thick, or thinner than the less thick, thinner one? Or is it just less thick or thicker than that thinner on that is it less thick than the thin one? :wacko

Some more fodder. Here is the Davies 1900 AND the tai fake you brought up. Even the 1900 and the fake have setscrews. If you were to grind this knob down to the right size the setscrew hole would be half gone. And never mind the fact that if there is no setscrew how do you hold the knob on? Glue? Another note, because the 1900 has no skirt the indicator (white line) is on the top. No farnsworth has a center knob with a white line on top.

The point? I never said they used a 1900 or the knock off, in fact if you read my previous post I made this clear already... Should have been clear they didn't use the 1900 before that anyway as it's too small of diameter... As I stated earlier it was merely an example that the generic fluted design is not unique to Davies knobs as you implied...

And I do love your wild logic, that the prop guys are able to sand off the entire skirt if they used a 1910, and make that less thin skirt thinner or whatever but they are incapable of buffing/sanding off a silk screened line on the top of a knob or by chance had even dare I say found some knobs in brown color without the screening and skirt to start with...

As for how to hold it on less a setscrew, lots of knobs have "D" shaped spring clips vs set screws, you have almost certainly experienced these types of knobs in your 30 years?

On the 1910, note I have a knob in my hand that is a dead ringer for the 1910, EXCEPT it has a 1/8" hole, and that would be fine, except for the fact that the 1/8" hole Davies 1910 knob is nothing more then a 1/4" knob with a brass insert reducing it to 1/8" This is not the case with the knob I have on hand it's an unlined 1/8" hole... Also the Davies 1/8" hole 1910 uses a socket set screw, the knob I have on hand is a brass straight set screw like other knobs... So the question begs is it an out of production version of the Davies 1910 or is it a knock off?

Last edited:
Yikes. :confused

Everybody knows I was just KIDDING, right?

RIGHT?

It's a KNOB for goodness sake. A knooooooob!

And YES, it's the RPF. I knoooooooow.... :rolleyes

And mah boy, Mista' J gots some ISSUES, man. He scarin' me. Make the scary man go away, Mommy! :lol

Well...*I* say we form a lynch mob and attack the QMx headquarters.
Burn it to the ground.
Kill their men, ravage their women.
Carry off their livestock. (and plants).
Total destruction. Nothing left.
SNIP
Who is with ME?????!!!!

I'm all for this but it has nothing to do with a knob on a box.

I'm just pissed cuz QMx isn't releasing Firefly Jayne T-shirts on a regular basis.
So I say go with all that mob stuff until we get Jayne shirts, like, quarterly.

Altho'.....if Qmx is burned to the ground...they probably won't release anything.
Nuts...why can't anything go according to the gorram plan!

Mike

And for the record there may be copies of the Davies 1910, but seriously, is that your argument?

I have stated what the argument is, your use of absolutes in regards to what parts were used, without sufficient information to actually prove it... It all boils down to your classic textbook fallacy of Argumentum ad Ignorantiam and False Dichotomy.

You simply keep stating that it's a Davies 1910 knob, ignoring any all all other possibilities and evidence as if they don't exist and there is no other option...

As I keep reiterating there are other options to what it could be, it's hardly as clear cut as you want to pretend to make it...

It would be the same as me stating you are wrong it's an Ohmite 5710E knob, end of discussion... But, it's not that black and white is it?

Sure once you sand off the skirt, fill in the set screw hole and paint it brown the 1910 looks the part, but that is hardly conclusive proof that it was the knob used... As I have said already the Qmx casting shows ZERO signs of there every being a set screw... And I have studied the Qmx knob casting in detail and if they spent that much time erasing the setscrew hole and repairing the flutes and surround surface resulting in the seamless knob I see, then my hat off to them for spending so much time on a mere screw hole... But as I have said before why would anyone bother doing that to start with, it makes no logical sense to spend all that time to erase a set screw just because...

I'm pretty confident at this point that even if they had used a real Davies 1910 knob that you feel was used, sanded off the skirt and painted it brown you would still be complaining that the paint will chip off, or that they should have had Davies do a custom run of brown ones, or they should have scoured the US for that stockpile of brown Davies knobs...

Also as I stated earlier the knob image attached does not match the internal configuration of the current Davies nor the Ohmite so what is it? An older revision or yet another near identical option? It's dead on size wise to the Qmx casting...

All the Davies knobs I've seen and he ones suggested have set screws in them, the brown knob on the original Farnsworths did not have a set screw so all this argument over if it's a Davies and what model is moot because of that.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back