QMX Enterprise?

I would also mention that word STYRENE is prominent in the ad copy that you quoted so heres a simple question: Is this offering a Polar Lights build up or isnt it?

That was an incredibly long post that did absolutely nothing to address the issues. You call shenanigans without actually refuting anything thats been said! Heres an idea: if youre going to post in response to what people are sayng how about doing so with information instead of a simple 'nya nya nya, you dont know". You mention pros in the industry without names and you mention a 5 year old 'prototype' that I pretty much GUARANTEE is ALSO a Polar Lights/recast. Your post did absolutely nothing to affect anyones pre-existing opinion about this project, pro or con and most certainly sidestepped the pertinent questions as to the source of this model. I call shenanigans and raise you a 'bad spin' attempt.

My post was in regard to all of the speculation, supposition and rumor.

The materials are listed in the description. It's not a recast.

And there was no "nya" in my answer. The truth is, if we choose not to answer a question, we're accused of being evasive. If we do answer, the answer is jumped on and hairs split.

As for why I didn't mention the industry names -- we're trying to be respectful of people's privacy.

And I understand people have their opinions intact. My comment isn't going to change any minds, for the pro or con.

However, my goal was to state that much of what's been said about the item is all speculation. Not fact.

And my point is if youre not going to actually answer the questions why bother? I dont think its a recast I think its a build up of an already licensed kit. Pretty sure you dont need an additional license fee to offer a build up of something thats already licensed. That being the case the assertion of 'licensing fees' is a misdirection. The other concern being that if it IS a build up of the Polar Lights then for that price the inaccuracies of the Polar Lights kit need to be addressed as so many of the 'amateur' builders have. If I was going to fork over 5K for a model I want to know EXACTLY what it is Im paying for and if QMX chooses not to be forthcoming then there are certainly other options available to us. The taleneted builders out there right now are likewise unencumbered by a licensing fee as theyre ALSO simply providing a service. Additionally they address the inaccuracies to whatever degree you wish you them to. My point is simply if QMX is going to market this at a 5K price point then some transparency is expected. So far that transparency has NOT been forthcoming. Also, you still failed to actually back up your statements and all you present here is hearsay with nothing substantial backing it up. You say youre respecting these pros 'privacy' then I would suggest not mentioning them at all. We've gone round and round on this board with folks claiming they know something for a fact because somebody close to the subject told them and then refused to back it up citing privacy. Its kind of a sore subject: if you bring it up you need to back it up. I would also mention that didnt address the very simple question of "Is this a build up of the Polar Lights kit or not.". If youre not going to answer the most fundamental questions while at the same time claiming people dont know what theyre talking about then theres really not much point in you posting on the subject is there? Im not being mean just pointing out the futility of of saying 'youre wrong' without providing a single bit of evidence or info to the contrary.

I'm only going to jump in an offer an opinion, I got no dog in this fight either way..

It strikes me that you are being a little presumptuous in asking QXM what their Enterprise is made of.

Would you expect Pepsi to tell you their formula, just because you asked them nicely?
Or "Hey, KFC, if you don't tell me your seven herbs and spices, you don't care about your customers"

If they say it's not a recast, you have to take them at their word until you have one in your hand and can refute that claim. Consider that the design of the refit is well known and if you add 2+2 and get 4 and I add 2+2 and get 4, it doesn't mean that I cheated off of your paper.

If they say that they've got a prototype that is 5 years old and hasn't sagged, well, I might like to see a picture to verify, but I feel that still won't satisfy the hardcore detractors unless QMX can produce time lapse video of the whole 5 years.

And lastly, if QMX doesn't care to name names, then maybe they shouldn't have brought that point up, but I think the point that it's not just them picking a price out of mid-air, but seeing how the industry would price a simlar item is a valid one

Once this item is in the consumers' hands, then you can judge for yourselves whether it's worth the money. I'll be first in line to read such a review. Until then, tho, you're just spitting into the wind.

Id wager that your 5 year old prototype is just Andy's PL 1/350th Enterprise that was purchased from John at the FX company - the same model that used to sell on eBay for half of what Qmx now charges (back when the FX company wasn't a part of Qmx, and was simply offering build ups of the NX-01 and Refit Polar Lights kits to grateful Trek fans). It was certainly NOT a prototype for Qmx, because 5 years ago I was a co-founder of Qmx, designing the logos, artwork, and product development with Steve (the founder), and a few others, and the Refit was not a part of the product plan for at least the first two years of Qmx. Say what you will about the start up team, and QMx's track record for releasing items, but that "prototype" is as much a prototype as any fan-built Ent model at Wonderfest.

I'm sure QMx's model will make the buyers happy and no one will care about it being too expensive or not, once they sell through - but man, you gotta either work on your PR skills, or not engage the boards, because in my opinion you are doing a disservice to the company you work for.

moff,
thanks for your insight! You can't get any closer to the horse's mouth than that!

in light of your informed statements on the matter, I would add my voice to the side that says that if what you are advertising is not the same animal as what you called the prototype, then you cannot infer any quality based on that "prototype"

I'd wager that QMx's offering has the potential to be better than the old FX Company eBay ships... more money to throw at a project means better refinements, right?

As far as the model itself is concerned, I'm personally biased against buying something like that, but only because I could build it better and only pay in raw materials and time - any modeler with the skills on these boards could, because it's what we LOVE to do. I have all the photoetch, resin Work Bees - all that jazz... just have to find the time outside of the commission work. That's a great problem to have!

But for those with the money, skills, and no time, or those with the money and no skills, it might be a great solution.

Allow me to state again that there's not snark intended in any of my comments and, to be totally honest, I have been on this board and attempted to converse several times and no mater what I say, folks dislike it. ;-)

So all I can do is try to address an issue head on. Perhaps that comes off as snarky. Not intended.

All of that said, the basic point is that people are basing decisions off rumor and speculation. And then becoming upset when we at QMx choose not to disclose information about a product.

You realize that, now matter what I say, I can't win?

And Moff, I don't doubt you could make something like this cheaper and perhaps even as well, but not everyone can build their own and -- as you said -- there are people who prefer to buy it already assembled.

Again, I'm not being snarky. I'm being honest. My job at QMx isn't customer service it's interactive media. So interact, in hopes of both getting the word out about QMx and helping keep the word already out there as on topic as possible.

But, trust me, I've gotten waaaaaaay worse than I've given over the months. -- and I keep coming back.

As somone who's done a bit of digging into this subject and shared what I've gotten officially from QMx I'll say here and now that any speculation I've made is clearly labeled as such and the direct result of not getting complete answers from my queries. We've seen the picutres and can see the PL heritage in this model, I don't see any harm in saying what it is or how it's made, in fact it would help relieve some of my fears about its longevity as it lacks an armature (QMX rep told me as much via email) for support. I agree with others here when I say it's none of my business how much QMx wants to charge for this, it's my business as to whether or not I'd pay it. Currently, with the lack of information being made available even to prospective customers such as myself, I don't have faith that it'd be a good investment. I need to know that the model will last a LONG time, your statement that it's got a lifetime warranty is great....and speaks well to QMx's intent to support their product. But having lost money to Unobtainium, having Master Replicas go out of business so no support for my TOS E, etc....I want to know the sucker's in for the long haul.

GGD, I think it's important for people like you to get out and spread the good word about QMx's products, I really do. I also know it can be frustrating having people hitting you with questions and sometimes calling your responses into question. But you can't call shenanigans on people who are asking questions and speculating due to the lack of answers. If you guys would be more interested in giving us the confidence that our 5k is going to a solid and beautiful replica of the Enterprise, we wouldn't have to be speculating.

And I hope for everyone's sake that you do keep coming back, because keeping in touch with the potential customers/fan base will keep you guys in business! I think most everyone here wants that.

Tib

I think I'm just going to let this conversation end, at least for my part.

That said, I say with all sincerity, I love my job and the people I work with. And they've been amazingly cool to me.

;-)

i am just wondering. What does the base and set up look like. There seems to be no pictures??? I really dislike the base I saw they had designed for the JJ Enterprise. I wonder what this one looks like. R there any pictures??? Confusing.

I saw the base on the QMx site a while ago, it's similar to the JJPrise base and really bland (IMO.) I inquired as to whether or not the base could be one of the many changes one could request upon ordering the model but sadly it was not. I think for a show piece the base detracts more than it adds.

QMx has recently posted some videos on their site but sadly the lighting didn't do much to show me more than I already knew about it....which isn't enough. It also made it VERY obvious that they're using decals due to the decal sheen....

BTW, does anyone actually own/have one of the JJ Enterprises yet? Just not seeing them out in the wild.

Tib

Shades of Icons.... :angry
Again, 'interactive PR'...whats interactive about not answering questions. Moff spoke up so I dont feel so bad now but again, that 'prototype' is a PL and its 5 years old...calling it a prototype is disingenuous. At best its a display piece/study model and if you want to call it a prototype then it simply confirms that this is just a PL build up and as such doesnt require much in the way of 'licensing fees' so when I hear that being mentioned as part of the cost I find it less then credible. As for 'PR'...well, "Im here to answer your questions with 'no comment' isnt exactly engendering good will is it? QMX, You say you keep coming back and I would ask, "Why bother?" if you have nothing of substance to add? The RPF is an extended community and when long standing members like Moff are treated shoddily well...I guess you can see where this is going....

I dont know why Im even looking at the video, at 5 grand, this is unobtantium for me.. :cry (and that is crazy since I buy some expensive things!):lol

A few things you guys could consider for the final...

I noticed that the deflector dish does not fade in... It just went "on".
Most of the better lighting kits out there these days, have a fade in feature.

Also, the preferred lighting technique for the NCC-1701 lettering, is to cut a cone shaped hole in the light insulatation, (on the in side) so the light shows through the plastic, and then it appears like a perfectly lit up area when the light s are on.

Also, is the drydock included?

I'll see if I can get you an image of the ship on the base.

::grin:: Might take me a bit because I need to ask someone to take pics in the shop.

But Ill ask ;-)

I saw the base on the QMx site a while ago, it's similar to the JJPrise base and really bland (IMO.) I inquired as to whether or not the base could be one of the many changes one could request upon ordering the model but sadly it was not. I think for a show piece the base detracts more than it adds.

Tib

i do think they should be showing the base structure and how it actually looks as opposed to the lovely video production they have. I appreciate the vid, but i think consumers need to see what the actual entire set up looks like. Weird they are not showing that. Makes me wonder why not?

Okay, I have a pic. Working on a head on view. But this gives an idea.

Personally, I dig it. I think it highlights the ship and gives it a "floating" feel.

I'll see if I can get you an image of the ship on the base.

::grin:: Might take me a bit because I need to ask someone to take pics in the shop.

But Ill ask ;-)

Thanks for the pic, it's one of the better views of the base. Unfortunately from the side (IF I remember this right) there's a wire just hanging out and a rather unattractive rod (or was it 2) supporting the ship. I like the mirrored look but it does me no good as where I'd be displaying this is on the hearth, too high for the mirror to be useful to an observer. My preference would be a nice wood base and perhaps a plexi-glass cube protecting the ship, but we can do this after the fact.

Either way, some options for the base would be a nice addition, but probably not the biggest issue I'd have one way or another.

Tib

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back