'Psycho' props, replicas, busts...what's out there?

ob1al

Sr Member
A terrific film, of course, but I haven't seen many, if any, props, replicas or busts related to it (or the sequels).

Is anything out there? Anyone ever sculpted a Norman Bates bust or anything?

I think there used to be a waxwork in the Hollywood Wax Museum, now closed, and I know the set is still standing in the Universal Backlot (but the house at Universal Florida was pulled down some years back).

So yeah - what, if anything, is out there?

i own a piece of the step that norman stood on in his first scene. Just happened to "fall" off as I was walking past it lol

Johnny

i own a piece of the step that norman stood on in his first scene. Just happened to "fall" off as I was walking past it lol

Johnny

Heh - well that's a nice memento to own.

Here's a couple of pics I found online, Norman's jacket and stuffed owl from one of the Universal displays:

psychoowlpropandjacketm.jpg

psychostuffedowlpropand.jpg

Wow, I'm digging that head (no pun intended) - nice one Pat.

Rubies apparantly make a Bates Motel neon sign too:

autoimagesru1752lg.jpg

I would like one of these for my TV/prop room but I don't think they're available in the UK...:unsure

Yeah, there's not much prop wise from any of the "Psycho" movies that could be replicated or found. The only thing that comes to mind is the newspaper that was used to hide the cash, or maybe a vintage copy of In the Belly of the Beast, from Psycho II, like the one pictured here:

5766.jpg

It was also seen briefly in Psycho III, the first we see the Bates' house in the film.

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to have 2 screen used knives from Psycho 2.
One is Norman's "bloodletting" knife. It's a real knife with a metal tube that would pump the blood, and the blade is still covered with fake dried blood.
The other is a rubber stunt knife.
Next to my Freddy Krueger screenworn costume, they're my favorite props.

I'm lucky enough to have 2 screen used knives from Psycho 2.
One is Norman's "bloodletting" knife. It's a real knife with a metal tube that would pump the blood, and the blade is still covered with fake dried blood.
The other is a rubber stunt knife.
Next to my Freddy Krueger screenworn costume, they're my favorite props.

Can you share some pics please, sounds great.

Johnny

I worked at Universal for many years, and I'm curious about how you found yourself walking past the Psycho house/Bates Motel. Did you jump off the tram or were you working on the lot? Security is usually pretty tight around there, and it's sad to hear that someone was able to do that.

And unless you were working on the original production, I'm not sure if that chunk of the stairway you stole could be reliably said to be original, since over the years it's been restored/replaced due to normal decay (and perhaps because folks occasionally steal chunks of the many classic sets on that lot) many times. That particular standing set is somewhat of a shrine to people who respect the history of film.

Wow, I'm digging that head (no pun intended) - nice one Pat.

Rubies apparantly make a Bates Motel neon sign too:

autoimagesru1752lg.jpg

I would like one of these for my TV/prop room but I don't think they're available in the UK...:unsure

My friend bought one of those a few years ago in the Uk, it hangs in his lounge window, great item. he had to buy a convertor though because of the difference in voltage here and the US. works just fine, it even flickers like the original :)

Can you share some pics please, sounds great.

As soon as I get a chance, I'll send some good pics, but if anyone wants to see the metal knife from Psycho 2, and a couple of other props from the Psycho remake I have, right away, you can see them on the online prop museum yourprops.com.
There's some other stuff I have as well.

Here's what I've found online.

Matches
2lqn8k

Norman Bates' business card.
1554ftf

Postcard front.
10qdh68

Postcard back.
2gxnp55

Aaaannnnd ashtray.
2cco2rr

Enjoy:)

hmmmm, I dont remember the Bates home being on the universal backlot tour in hollywood.....I went a year ago and only the motel was still standing....

edit...nevermind..I see it in my photos.....doh!!!!!!

here they are....lucky for me..they had an actor that day to portray bates....bad for me:all i had was my cell camera phone..

e996ec6e.jpg

8bfc370a.jpg

8de68e08.jpg

Last edited:
The original went missing/or lost, long ago.

If I recall correctly, the last time it was seen it was at the Musée du Cinema in France. I don't know if that's 100% true or not, but I know that Alfred Hitchcock gave Henri Langlois some items from several of his films (I recall this from a documentary about Mr. Langlois called "Henri Langlois: The Phantom of the Cinémathèque"). And the Musée du Cinema had more than 5,000 movie-related objects.

Last edited:
I have one of the rubber knives from the Psycho Hitchcock attraction at Universal Florida.

I also have the section of banister that Norman falls through at the end of 'Psycho IV: The Beginning' and the metal #1 from the Bates Motel cabin 1 door from the same movie. Maybe some other bits from that movie too (I think some wall paper from inside the Bates house).

For anyone interested in having an accurate knife replica, the correct brand used throughout the movies (at least all the sequels) is Chicago Cutlary. (wood handle, brass rivits).

M

A few years ago, I bought a toy butcher knife that has a pretty good sound clip of the shower music when you press a button. Not an official piece of merchandise, but fun nonetheless.

MrsBatescropped.jpg

(I make a pretty beefy Norman but in the book he was chubby. Therefore, I'm the book version.)

i have the universal studios matches that bear posted above. as for homewares theres countless ones... ive seen about 5 different ashtrays, bath robes, towels, mugs all in different designs, but with a 'real life' vibe.

i bought my bates motel towels from nerdoh.com, theyre properly embroidered.

i have noticed a distinct gap in the market though... im considering doing a run of hotel style keyrings for room number 1...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back