[PROTOTYPE] game costume still awesome?

Hey

So here's my tips. Most likely a real propmaker will get a good laugh.

First off supplies and my general overview of why I did what I did. When you create this giant prop people are going to look at the whole thing and most likely take a picture of the whole thing. Now first off you're going to need more duct tape than available in redneck heaven. I'll get to why in a sec.

1. Duct tape, preferably black duct tape. I used gray.
2. Craft foam Sheets.
3. A length of PVC pipe, good thickness.
4. Pink insulation foam that is sand-able, cutable, etc.
5. Gesso.
6. Wire pipe cleaners.
7. Fiberglass cloth, resin, and bondo.
8. Sand paper.

The idea for creating this comes in who parts, the sleeve and the actual blade arm.

The sleeve

IMG_2917.jpg

The idea for this is a lot like creating a duct tape dress form but just for your arm. First create a sleeve like this using the craft foam sheet in two pieces, the upper and lower. Now you need to create the elbow actuator with duct tape. This is something you'll have feel out for yourself. Make sure you've got your jacket, sweater and white dress shirt on so you're creating for the right size. Coat the whole thing in duct tape.

Now add the veins! Braid pipe cleaners together and and wrap in tape. Create as many as you'd like but you're going to need to make tons. Lastly using sand paper, lightly sand the surface of the sleeve in order to have the paint stick better. I used spray paint and a metallic red anodized spray paint over the top to give it a eerie bio-organic look.
IMG_2914.jpg

The Blade Arm
blade.jpg

Next acquire pink insulation foam. I recommend creating the front part of the blade and the back more pointy piece out of separate pieces.

When shaped and created to you liking, cut notches into the two blade pieces and Gesso the hell out of the thing. Tons and tons of coats. Then add the PVC pipe in the middle. Glue it in to give it structure and make it holdable. Also wrap the PVC handle in foam, it will make it so much more comfortable to hold!

IMG_2911.jpg

Next add the fiber glass cloth, the Gesso will help protect the foam from being melted. After the blade arm is fiber glassed you will have a durable and pretty light prop. Follow the same method for creating the viens and skin as you did with the sleeve. At the end create a slot so that your sleeve will fit into to the blade arm. Vola you have a blade arm.

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

It turned out ok, certainly not professional but it got results and lots of pics. Since people will crane back to get your whole arm in frame, most of your not so good duct tape seams will be hidden. I've learned a lot since then.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks mate! This is awesome! :D

On a connected note I have decided not toy buy the jacket until at least April so I dont end up without any money :p

this is awesome ... that jacket is badass... i am freakishly in love with alex mercer and i am so upset that in prototype 2 you will not get to play as him .... i dont even want it now! prototype was wayyyy too damn under rated ... alex had by far the best super powers of anything i have ever read about or seen in my opinion of course .... i'd marry that homicidal.. mutant anyday

oh and of course ... great job on the costume !!! its fantastic! i was thinking about doing my own version ....yeah ... i have the being a woman dilemma but .. hell its never stopped me lol

haha i know how u feel about the whole alex mercer thing :) but hey! i think it will seem like quite a challenge to beat someone who you thought was invincible :)

well i think that u being a woman might actally make things more interesting for your costume :D good luck with it!

It's my first post here but because of this forum and this topic i
bought Prototype jacket from soulrevolver.co.uk and it is AWESOME :love

now i'm hooked on this forum and scratch building and movie item collecting ...
i'm noticing things and items i never knew existed before ... whole new world :eek

Error u aren't the only one... :/ i really like boys video games, Prototype, Spiderman, Iron man, Green Lantern, etc. Prototype is my fav tho and i am dressing up as Alex Mercer, my costume is okay, except i cant wear Jeans! so im stuck with black trousers! :( I made a Blade and claw - both right-handed :( - from electric tape wrapped around 2 layers of cardboard and some small thin pieces of red tape on it. its pretty rubbish...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back