Proposed UK model filming day, Sheffield, summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
"we can not have Non-RPF related Groups tagging onto RPF events"
1. Why not, all modellers together.
2. Since when is it an RPF event? RPF members are very welcome but are not exclusive.
3. Brum is your show, still happy to help out, but it doesn't replace the event I'm proposing.
4. Do you really think that sort of attitude is appropriate in an open forum intended to help fellow builders and enthusiasts.
5. Not just a little embarrassed.....
6. Just a little?
7. Why not read the thread before you decide?
Proposed model filming day, summer, Sheffield - Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

1/ If you are familiar with the workings of the RPF, you will see that members arrange RPF prop parties, a place where RPF members come together to show off and discuss their Work, the link i posted for you was the UK RPF prop party all the members were associated with the RPF.

2/ see above

3/ Brum is not my show no, however we are there representing the RPF. I dont expect you to replace an event your proposing but we can no longer tag it onto an RPF event

4/ I am not aware of any attitude on my part.

5/ For what ??

6/ See above

7/ i have no vested interest in your link as it is a group that im not familiar with or i have the remotest interest in, as i mentioned in a previous post, we cannot have outside groups involved in RPF events.

this is my last comment on the subject in an RPF capacity, if the members here want to help you out with your proposal im sure they will chime in, i wish you the best of luck with your plan

Lets skip straight to 7 as I fear you have the wrong end of the stick.

WERE YOU TO READ IT

You would see that I have made no mention of RPF events, nor am I tagging my event onto yours, they are two separate things. There is no question of non RPF people gatecrashing your party.

Miscommunication is a two way street and I'm sorry for my part if I wasn't clear. I suspect you've rolled down the shutters, but my offer still stands if you want it.

yep i guess i can see how this can have been mis-read however

youve come here asking for people to help you out with a project of yours and been quite vocal about the lack of interest, ive offered you a route to join our Prop Party in the UK, which you don't seem to impressed by however i feel your missing the bigger picture, if you were to read the Prop Party thread in its entirety you will have noticed that it was our first and the outcome from that event is next time we get together we will have much bigger and better space.

Im not trying to take away your idea im trying to include you in future RPF events as i feel you have a great idea and would add depth to our event however what you failed to mention here is the fact you are advertising your idea on other forums which is within your right to do, but ive explained to you that an RPF prop Party is just that a Party for RPF members.

you seem to be getting frustrated with my responses and i apologise for that but i can only act on an RPF level and im happy to work with you on that, i cannot however speak for the rest of the guys here and commit them to a project that involves outside organisations.

if you want to bring your project to the RPF for the RPF members then im all ears.

You wanna get folks involved. Set it up to film it the way ILM filmed it. That's what we do here. Replicate what ILM did. Also maybe show your rig and explain how you want to use it and the models. So far it comes off as bring your models for me to film , oh and bring some we can blow up. Do you have any experience with pyrotechnics? Do you know how to rig a model to explode? Do you know that most models have a large chunk of resin in them and are not like the pyro models which were built of lighter weight material just for explosions? You really need to start looking at the way miniatures were filmed back then and work out the shoot, storyboard etc before folks around here are gonna offer up their models even for a simple shot such as a pass by.

Hit the nail hard. Since we (gf and I) will be in UK later this year, if this idea gets off the floor, it would be a nice stop by and maybe bring a model or two, or even some of my studio equipment.

If its a RPF event thats even better. From past experience, anything related to RPF gets my 2 thumbs up and beer/wine/soft drinks added :)

G/L :)

May be willing, but would need more info, and my hands only on my models, period.
Blue screen sounds cool, may have a few pieces ready by that time.

Lee

Hit the nail hard. Since we (gf and I) will be in UK later this year, if this idea gets off the floor, it would be a nice stop by and maybe bring a model or two, or even some of my studio equipment.

If its a RPF event thats even better. From past experience, anything related to RPF gets my 2 thumbs up and beer/wine/soft drinks added :)

G/L :)

do you have dates when your in the UK

Ok, looks like a few small models, and enough space for maybe 3 tables as it all looks fairly crowded. The interactive element is for the public rather than our members. Right, in order to prove I'm a can do sorta guy I propose....

A table top flying rig (I will not be explaining this, but will shoot a demo and post the video) offering to fly any model people bring us. Since memorabelia is basically a huge sci fi shop, we should have plenty of spaceships to deal with. We will assemble a fleet to defend the planet. We have a pre prepared video of an alien invasion fleet approaching the earth, then a shot of the alien leader looking at his scanner, (any volunteers?) We see the endless parade of ships shot over the weekend, then back to the invader who flees in a hail of laserish fire. Victory to Earth, bless us all every one. Be nice if we could run a model making workshop too.

Waddaya think?

Can we get back to this? Is this the sort of thing you were thinking of, or can I be more ambitious?

Last edited:
I'm trying to guage opinion, give me some input guys.

1. For your Prop party (when is it, still don't know)....
Do you want a rig that can take big models, taking up a large area, with screens so people can see the results, but closed to the public when members are shooting, then be used to shoot whatever people bring to us or....a small rig able to cope with anything up to say 12", more for audience participation than a service for members, but fun.

If it's the big rig I'm going to need support and a budget as I can't cash in favours out of Sheffield.

What do you think of the idea of a kit bashing workshop, you buy a little cheap snap together kit, then customise it with extra bits you pay for on a component by component basis, all arranged in tubs on the table. Then paint and shoot each model before it goes home with the proud owner. This would be a very busy table and whoever ran it would be working very hard, is it worth it? Would make a terrific, but not essential, addition to the shooting rig.

To my mind the event is mostly selling selling selling, and I think stuff that lets people actually participate, particularly kids, is very welcome and would be popular. My kids would love it.

2. The intention is to concentrate fully on making the best film we can for the Sheffield event. There is some debate on the other forum about whether the public should be let in at all. Personally I think it's a shame not to, but I'll go with popular opinion , should any pops opine.

hello, im new to the site (about 2 days) ive been reading all the above comments and i see everyone has brought in a fair comment, however i'd like to 'throw the hat into the ring' and attend.
I enjoy what i do and always seen it as just a hobby, though my wife believes i could go forward in this (shes my real boss) and to do this id like to make CONTACTS...

.. maybe your events would be a great way for me to achieve this. i would be willin to produce items required for any use on the day with time permitting.

so, any more info you have or changes to the above please do friend me and we can go from there.

If noone speaks up how will we ever know!

thanks everyone.

AAAH..........oh sorry J, you made me jump. I don't know how useful the event would be for contacts. But you would have a video to show. I don't want to push people into building things they wouldn't normally build, but if you could keep me informed that would be great. I will start a separate thread for the Birmingham event once I know when it is and what sort of thing is wanted. Right now the little company I have won't stretch to fill two threads.

And thankyou for your input and positivity.......THERE IS A HAT IN THE RING!

Another hat, another forum, we have a pyrotechnician, J do you want his contact details to collaborate on an exploding model or am I presuming too much.

Could really do with some RPF party basic info Simon, it's time it got it's own thread.

Another hat, another forum, we have a pyrotechnician, J do you want his contact details to collaborate on an exploding model or am I presuming too much.

Could really do with some RPF party basic info Simon, it's time it got it's own thread.

Theres no interest im afraid from the RPF so im afraid im out, good luck with your own event though i look forward to seeing the results

You don't half run hot and cold Simon, you asked me to adapt my idea to your event, which I have done, and have yet to receive the courtesy of a reply, then you cry off.....again. You're not still hung up about the other forum are you, I thought we'd sorted that one out? I'm genuinely confused here. If you don't like my ideas then let me know what's wrong, I did ask for input...?

Hot and Cold ??

You came here to gauge interest for an idea of yours, i expressed an interest that we may be able to incorporate your idea at the next UK RPF Prop Party however looking at the Thread i dont see much interest from RPF members, how this is my problem is baffaling me, i cant force members here to sign up to an RPF event or an event your trying to organise.

As for crying off :lol i cant do anything without the RPF members, i dont build the screen Accurate models they do, i can't tell them to bring them to an event that is their choice.

You seriously need to alter you attitude and review this thread and think about your choice of words and the sacastic inuendos you have used, maybe thats the reason no-one is warming to you or your ideas.

And again il remind you i can't do anything for you without the help of the members here.

Last edited:
Ok, ill try. I was peeked at first, thinking "this guy is sure to start posting info on how he's going to rig up a shooting set"........im still to see, or hear any concrete info on what you intend to shoot.
Are you talking about some £5 snap and go fly with precolored plastic, r are you talking studio scale filming miniatures.

If you are talking the latter mate, your having a bloody laugh thinking ANYBODY is gonna sit there, with there hand up yelling me, me ,me.
These models, are not your average off the shelf pick me up, they take incredible amounts of time, energy and cash to build, and thats just the resin GK's.

This isnt even to mention the case of scratchbuilds that dont even show the hundreds of man hours in parts ID alone.

Now that puts you in the light just a little bit, hopefully you will now realise, MANY of us wont even be bothered now, as we arent even sure how such a model would even be suspended for a start, bit of string, bit of chewing gum, or maybe a full threaded out armature support, so our investments dont go crashing to the ground?

What kind of shooting set up is it to be, blue screen, with a real deal camera pass, or a black velour backdrop with sequins....again, the latter, isnt going to float the boats of any established studio scaler.

Then your attitude, its crappy, dont get a bite, so you stamp your feet, aint gonna float mate, not with me anyway, thanks for trying Simon, but im so out.

lee

OK, bye guys, I could debate further but I fail to see the point.
For the rest of you.
I get how precious your models are, and merely transporting them is a big consideration. But let's get this the right way round. I assume (and this is MY assumption and may be wrong or certainly not universal) that you put in the hours and expense that you do to achieve more than the possession of a really big model. After all, it has no practical use, it takes up space and costs a fortune in time and money. There is no rational reason to even begin such a project, so why DO you do it. You do it because something inspired you, probably at a young age, and that feeling has never gone away. You saw something so cool that you've spent maybe decades building the skills needed to replicate it, and I'm sure in many cases, surpass it. That thing was a movie or a TV programme. I'm just trying to help you do what it is you're doing anyway. And I'm not doing this out of any motive other than the same one, because I saw some cool stuff too, and I want to replicate it, and yes my office looks like a sci-fi prop store, and yes I build stuff to please my inner ten year old, and my father is a modeller (railways, large scale outdoor ones) so I think I know where you're coming from.

I think some of you, maybe a lot of you, are easily of a pro standard, in all sorts of areas of skill, modelling of course, CGI, photography, lighting and sheer bloody imagination. What I bring to the table is production experience and post production expertise. I know how to run a shoot and pull all the pieces together to make a finished item. I’m not trying to take anything off you or exploit you, I’m trying to find some like minded individuals to make a quality piece of work with. Yes more detail from me would be helpful, but I need to know what I’m working with. So I will persist, and I’m sure the suspicion, disbelief, hostility and officiousness I meet in pursuing this project would be water off a duck’s back to the guy who decides to build the Star Ship Enterprise.....real big. So if you HAVE to be negative then I will cheerfully talk to you, but how about a bit of positivity. Just off to buy the chewing gum and sequins, speak soon.

OK, bye guys, I could debate further but I fail to see the point.

Just off to buy the chewing gum and sequins, speak soon.

And that right there is the reason you failed to gain the trust, respect and help from the Model Builders you so badly wanted to work with.:rolleyes

Good luck with your project.

And good luck to you Simon, always happy to hear from you, I'll keep responding to you, I just thought the conversation had ceased to be useful, but it's an open forum and your opinion is valid. The quote was a bit selective wasn't it? Did the bit in the middle just pass you by?

Ok.... Simon is being diplomatic, whereas I don't have a bone of diplomacy in me so I tell it like it is. Out of the handfull of UK studio scalers on this forum , you just burnt one of the major players. You came here with a half arsed idea without any understanding of filming miniatures. You mention a "large" mount for models being 12". Look you'd be pushed to fit an MPC falcon on that so I don't think you really have an idea of what is required to film these models. You may have the equipment , but you don't have the knowledge. These guy's are experts on these miniatures and the way they were filmed. Most like myself have been studying these things for 35 years or so. So I'm guessing that qualifies them to make their decision based on your lack of knowledge. Can you hear the crickets chirping? Combine this with the arrogant and sometimes patronizing attitude you've displayed I think you can write off this as a learning experience and let it go. I think if you had approached the idea differently you could have potentially had a good thing. This is just the wrong place to start telling people what you propose to do with their models.

Simon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back